Edge hates SNK

Huxley

Fu'un-Ken Master
The latest copy of Edge dropped through my letterbox this morning. The 10th anniversary edition complete with a feature on the 100 best games of all time. My first thought: they've compiled this list to spark discussion and controversy. These kind of 'best 100 of all time' lists will always contain some contreversial inclusions and omissions no matter what the source, yet I expected more of Edge. For a magazine that prides itself on a more selected readership, this article certainly seem to aim for the lowest common denominator.

Anyway - to the point. The list is broken in to ten top tens from different genres. Adventure, Beat 'em up, Platform, Puzzle, Racing, Rhythm Action, RPGs, Shooters, Sports and Strategy. Quite why Rhythm Action deserves a top ten all of its own is another point entirely. So, you may be thinking, how many SNK games are in this top 100? Three, maybe four? Try one. And it's Cool Cool Toon (which just serves to illustrate the pointlessness of the top ten rhythm action games).

But this is just a list based on the opinion of Edge, right? Yes, but there's opinion, and there's idiocy. This falls somewhere in the middle. The top ten Beat 'em ups contains no KoF, no Last Blade, no Garou. It does have four Capcom games and two Virtua Fighters. The list reads:

Street Fighter II Turbo
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (GBA)
Virtua Fighter 3tb
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
Capcom Vs SNK 2
Dead or Alive 3
Rocky
Soul Calabur 2
Viewtiful Joe
Virtua Fighter Evolution

Why include two Street Fighter games and two more Capcom fighters? If this was to acknowledge the progress the series has made over the years then this is more than evident in Capcom Vs SNK 2 or to a lesser extent Marvel Vs Capcom 2. To say that at least one SNK fighter is not worthy of mention is a discredit to the developer and a discredit to the popularity of series such as KoF.

Also included in the article is the finalists in each group that were not chosen. The finalists for the Beat 'em up category were Guilty Gear X, IK+, Powerstone 2, Project Justice and Virtua Fighter 2. Two more Capcom games and another VF. No SNK games were even considered.

Metal Slug 3 made the finalists of the Shooter list, and although I would have personally chosen an MS game I can understand its omission in such a tough category and am glad that it was chosen as a finalist.

There were many, many other (non-SNK related) debatable decisions in the list, but that's for another topic.

Oh, and sorry about the sensationalist title (I know it's not true), but I thought it was in keeping with the nature of the article itself.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Viewtiful Joe under the "Fighting" section?
DOA 3 in the top ten of all time?
Capcom vs SNK 2 in the top ten?
ROCKY ??!??!

GGX in the BEAT EM UP CATEGORY.
VIRTUA FIGHTER 2 in it also???

They cant even get the genres right for those games so their opinion on what is the best has no meaning.

Rain

Fashion Designer,
20 Year Member
Y'know I found that bizarre as well. Some of there choices were strange as hell, the Platform catorgory is fucked.... Marble Madness? Nights?? Pilot Wings??!!! I wouldn't call one of those a platformer! Back on topic... VF3TB, Soul Caliber 2, Rocky and Viewtiful Joe should not be there, Garou, Last Blade 2, KOF 98 and (Not SNK) Vampire Savior.... One other point, Edge believes that SFA3 on GBA is a "Tighter" Experience to SFA2 on... wait for it.... Saturn. WTF. Awesome conversion yes, replacement for the real thing? No way.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
That list is bullshit lie, I think Edge was paid to write that list. I mean, c'mon now, who on earth would list Rocky on a top ten list? And why list Street Fighter Alpha III (GBA) when you could list Street Fighter Alpha III: Arcade version? That whole list is bogus.

Huxley

Fu'un-Ken Master
Nesagwa:
They cant even get the genres right for those games so their opinion on what is the best has no meaning.
That's the thing: it really should. Edge is probably the most respected videogaming publication in Europe. They may not care about my opinion but they have lost my respect.

prinsecharles

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
i dont really care what edge thinks.
i just avoid the reviews (most of them are for fps shooters anyway)
the only good things in it are the bits done by the freelance writers.
gigawing in the top 10 shooters eek!
new zealand story in the top 10 while super mario 3 only made it to the finalists angry

corbo 2

Genjuro's Frog
bokmeow:
That list is bullshit lie, I think Edge was paid to write that list. I mean, c'mon now, who on earth would list Rocky on a top ten list? And why list Street Fighter Alpha III (GBA) when you could list Street Fighter Alpha III: Arcade version? That whole list is bogus.
I get that feeling as well...i remember the Edge 'Neo-Geo' feature and they praised SNK so to speak.Since then they have done reviews for some of the newer games and gave them good marks.

Now this....Rocky?

I mean come on....that's wrong.It was fixed or something,no way would you have so much Capcom and not even there best.Alpha 3 GBA version....it's a good port but any has 4 buttons,how can it be better than the Arcade,Saturn,Dreamcast or even the fucking Playstation version....Viewtiful Joe WTF.It's a good game,but it's not a fighter.

I don't get it.

prinsecharles

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
prinsecharles:
i dont really care what edge thinks.
i just avoid the reviews (most of them are for fps shooters anyway)
the only good things in it are the bits done by the freelance writers.
gigawing in the top 10 shooters eek!
new zealand story in the top 10 while super mario 3 only made it to the finalists angry
i hope no one buys the boxset
£40 for 10 copies of the same magazine with the same cover tickled
games tm is good but most of the articles just seem to be a little less informed than edges

whoops i quoted myself instead of editing my post lol

<small>[ September 06, 2003, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: prinsecharles ]</small>

Huxley

Fu'un-Ken Master
corbo 2:
Viewtiful Joe WTF.It's a good game,but it's not a fighter.
They included scroling fighters in the Beat 'em up category, so I'm cool with VJ. It does however, beg the question 'why no Streets of Rage or Double Dragon?'

prinsecharles

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
wtf soz i'm hungover
soz post count +1

<small>[ September 06, 2003, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: prinsecharles ]</small>

corbo 2

Genjuro's Frog
Huxley:
corbo 2:
Viewtiful Joe WTF.It's a good game,but it's not a fighter.
They included scroling fighters in the Beat 'em up category, so I'm cool with VJ. It does however, beg the question 'why no Streets of Rage or Double Dragon?'
Oh i havn't got my copy yet....but not Streets of rage!?!?!

Sorry but that's not right oh_no

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
Virtua Fighter 3tb should not be there, it was the worst game of the whole series.

toy_brain

Amano's Drinking Buddy
Marvel vs Capcom 2?????
What the hell? Why the heck is that unbalanced mash-fest on the top ten list at all??

I can only assume that there are a lot more Capcom fanboys working at EDGE than there are SNK fans. oh_no

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
toy_brain:
Marvel vs Capcom 2?????
What the hell? Why the heck is that unbalanced mash-fest on the top ten list at all??

I can only assume that there are a lot more Capcom fanboys working at EDGE than there are SNK fans. oh_no
my thoughts are the same. MVC2 is a pile of shit.

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
No SNK game in the fighters top 10 ?

Are those guys blind ?

Which games are and have been popular by beat em up fans for years and years ?

Street fighter, virtua fighter, tekken and.. KOF and SS.

I love Real Bout and Last blades better then SF, VF and Tekken, but I can imagine them not listing those.

but no KOF and SS ????

Where have they been the last decade ?

Baseley09

Hair Group,
I like the magazine iun general, but once every 4 issues it seems they do something that really gets my goat, like make bad lists as above, or review a game in a biased fashion.

Huxley:

Street Fighter II Turbo
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (GBA)
Virtua Fighter 3tb
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
Capcom Vs SNK 2
Dead or Alive 3
Rocky
Soul Calabur 2
Viewtiful Joe
Virtua Fighter Evolution
usually i agree with edge but this time...

Street Fighter II Turbo -ok
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (GBA) -NO GBA????
Virtua Fighter 3tb -2 and 4 are better even sega admit that!
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 - it's ok (for a button bashing frenzy
Capcom Vs SNK 2 -why is this here???
Dead or Alive 3 - ok
Rocky - ok
Soul Calabur 2 - yes, superb
Viewtiful Joe -hmmmmmmmm
Virtua Fighter Evolution - yes but higher

slerch666

updyke,
I piss on any list that doesn't contain Last Blade or Last Blade 2 as a greatest fighter. And looking at their top 10 list for fighters, I wave my private parts at their aunties.

They be the biggest video game magazine in Europe/UK/Wherever, and it's just their opinion, and guess what, their opinion is WRONG! :D

Non of the Vs games deserve to be on that list. They are button mashers delight with very few technical merits to back up the fighting engine. And why M V C 2? the first was more "balanced", if such a Vs game exists, than 2 IMO. But whatever, their list is gay.

Trevor spencer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
the roker:
toy_brain:
Marvel vs Capcom 2?????

yeah same here

but respect to edge for there aes article in there retro section (i enjoyed reading that)

corbo 2

Genjuro's Frog
Trevor spencer:
the roker:
toy_brain:
Marvel vs Capcom 2?????

yeah same here

but respect to edge for there aes article in there retro section (i enjoyed reading that)
Yeah,i thought there Edge AES feature was great,far better than Games TM's effort.And mentioned this site and quotes from Shawn! (if i remember right)

But it's the only mag i read apart from Games TM,nothing else can touch it....even though there opinion's are a bit off at times.I'll pretend i never saw the 'list' :D

Amix

Benimaru's Hairdresser
So - excluding beat'em ups - what would you folks consider the top ten fighting games of all time?

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
I was more pissed off that FFVII did'nt make the RPG top ten! very_ang very_ang

I must admit i did expect KOF98 in the beat em up top ten....

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Amix:
So - excluding beat'em ups - what would you folks consider the top ten fighting games of all time?
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 Gold
Street Fighter the Movie
Fight Fever
Capcom vs SNK 2
Dead or Alive
Battle arena toshinden
Fatal Fury 2
Sango Fighter
World heroes
Kasumi Ninja

Amix

Benimaru's Hairdresser
kernow:
Amix:
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 Gold
Street Fighter the Movie
Fight Fever
Capcom vs SNK 2
Dead or Alive
Battle arena toshinden
Fatal Fury 2
Sango Fighter
World heroes
Kasumi Ninja
I was expecting Way of the Warrior or Time Killers somewhere on that list.