Ebonized Ash or Walnut CMVS?

Katsu

Crazed MVS Addict
First of all, Holy Crap! I've been registered here on Neo-Geo.com for 10 years! I'm not a very frequent poster, but I hold Retro Game Nights from time to time and drop in to check out the scene.

So, I'm holding another event this Saturday (See Neo Gatherings for my post), and it got me looking into Neo Geo stuff again. I'd seen the post on Joystiq a while back about Analogue Interactive, but only now do I think I'm ready to buy one of these babies.

At first, I was thinking woodgrain (walnut) for sure since it really stands out, but now I'm thinking I kinda like the muted black (ebonized ash.) I'm torn. The black wouldn't look as out of place, but maybe that's the point of a wooden Neo Geo??

What do you all think?

-Rob

aria

Former Moderator
Approximately 13 years ago, on DolphinLord's Yahoo Club (in a ways the spiritual predecessor to NG.com), I threw out the idea of replacing the case of a regular home cart system with wood --this company has realized that (at the time) wild-eyed dream.

With that said, I'm a fan of the "woodier" wood option: Walnut.

Also, welcome to the 10+ year club. Meetings are on Thursdays at the VFW.

bradtemple87

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I own the black ash version with matching stick, you wont be disappointed

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
One of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make lol. I am a sucker for the black as it just looks awesome. After a lot of back and forth I went with walnut - in my opinion its a bit more classy and goes well with a stained entertainment centre.

Either way you go, I agree with bradtemple87 - you will not be disappointed!

Good luck.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
One of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make lol. I am a sucker for the black as it just looks awesome. After a lot of back and forth I went with walnut - in my opinion its a bit more classy and goes well with a stained entertainment centre.

Either way you go, I agree with bradtemple87 - you will not be disappointed!

Good luck.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
One of the Analogue Interactive CMVSes someone posted here looked for a second like it had the same flat black plastic as an AES for a second to me. I got so excited for a minute. To me, I really want something that is very close to the aesthetic of the home console I grew up with, in MVS form. I don't see their argument for the woodgrain.

smccd

New Challenger
That's like asking what colour you should wear on a given day.

Buy the one YOU like better :D

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
1940_Ford_Woody_Station_Wagon_5.JPG

Tough Call!

Personally If I didn't have A 2 slot cmvs and Could afford more than 2x what I paid Mine would look like this

cmvs_slim_3.jpg

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Things are very well built and put most CMVS systems to shame.

I'd never buy one (just get a cab at that price) but I'd go for the Ash.

Just looks seamless and clean.

War Pig

New Challenger
The Ebonized Ash is pretty kick A$$. That's what I'd go with. To me it looks way classier for gaming.

arcwyvern

King's Dry Cleaner
One of the Analogue Interactive CMVSes someone posted here looked for a second like it had the same flat black plastic as an AES for a second to me. I got so excited for a minute. To me, I really want something that is very close to the aesthetic of the home console I grew up with, in MVS form. I don't see their argument for the woodgrain.

This exists. It's made by a user here, shadawkn55, and it's a beautiful machine. It's called the Omega and there is more info at arcadeworks.net or the threads here.

chrisg

n00b
I was thinking the same thing, but in the end I went for the walnut. Largely because of this conversation:

ME: "Honey, I think we should get one of these" (Shows AI website to wife, Ebonised Ash version on screen)
L: "Not another bloody old video game console. You have too many of them already."
ME: "What about this one?"
L: "Ooh. That's nice."

It arrived the other day. It's a stunning bit of work:

iIagm.jpg

xl9Vm.jpg

9IFMQ.jpg

60koG.jpg

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've been thinking about these for a while now. The build quality looks superb but the $650 price tag really makes me cringe. Despite this I really want one but when you've got two CMVS 1 slots it makes you feel like the purchase would be a complete waste of money, which it probably is in my case. I assume it's an MV-1C?

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
Things are very well built and put most CMVS systems to shame.

I'd never buy one (just get a cab at that price) but I'd go for the Ash.

Just looks seamless and clean.

Yeah I'm with Tonk on that one. They are a thing of beauty but for that price you can get a one-slot cab possibly even a two slot.

man9child

Rugal's Thug
For the money, sure a cab instead of one of these cmvs makes a lot of sense.

But cabs take up space. And they're a pain in the ass to transport. So there's more to it than that.

For what it's worth I think the ash one looks great and probably is a better match for many people's furniture. That said, if you're buying a system made of wood, I say it should be as woody as possible. Go for walnut.

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
Hi,
I resume this post because I'm going to buy one arcade stick (probably walnut).
So my question is: what about scratches on the surface of the stick? It's really "easy" to add scratches during play sessions?

Thanks

Ukee

Geese's Thug
I haven't had any scratches show up on mine and I have been using maybe 10-20 hears a week for the past 6+ months, however I am very over protective of them so that might be why.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I prefer the black ash. It just looks nice and simple and will match with most of your other stereo and gaming equipment.

KBneospy

Marked Wolf
I can't decide either, mostly leaning toward black ash, but I like the sharper lines of the walnut. Both look amazing!

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Some people have purchased one stick of each colour in the past.

If you can justify purchasing two sticks instead of one, then that could be an option?

I went walnut with console and sticks and am very happy.