Ebay auction I won. Fraud???

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
Of course the auction just ended last night and I'm just really worried about this auction because I remember hearing about someone in the forums here saying there is some scammer in Texas (where this auction is coming from). But he is requesting payment through PayPal so that makes it a bit easier for me to get my money back if he does scam me I guess. I really hope it's not a scam I want that game so bad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170226537836&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:US:1123

Bibliophile

, I liek DragonWarrior
If you have any doubts, use your credit card (not a checking account) to pay via paypal. That way, you have a guaranteed method of getting your money back if it is a scam.

That being said, what makes you suspect a scam over a $20 auction? The fact that he lives in Texas? Texas is a big state, and there are a lot of sellers from there who are not scammers.

Last edited:

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Seller: kareinaruhikoukiyarou_e-bay

Doesnt sound like a legitimate account to me.

However who would waste their time scamming someone on a low cost cart.

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
First off I did pay PayPal with my credit card just for that reason ;)
But secondly yeah that's a lot of waisted time just to scam someone out of $25 but Art of Fighting Gaiden usually goes much higher than $20 for the game. That is why I was worried about it. Not a lot of money to loose besides I'll be able to get it back if it goes that way. I guess if the action went up to $150 I wouldn't have been as worried about it. Because that souds like a more slightly normal price for that game. I don't know if any AOF3 conversion carts exist or not either. I guess even if it was a conversion I wouldn't mind as long as the game works.
I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
That is dirt cheap...could be fishy. Good luck.

Last edited:

Bibliophile

, I liek DragonWarrior
First off I did pay PayPal with my credit card just for that reason ;)
But secondly yeah that's a lot of waisted time just to scam someone out of $25 but Art of Fighting Gaiden usually goes much higher than $20 for the game. That is why I was worried about it. Not a lot of money to loose besides I'll be able to get it back if it goes that way. I guess if the action went up to $150 I wouldn't have been as worried about it. Because that souds like a more slightly normal price for that game. I don't know if any AOF3 conversion carts exist or not either. I guess even if it was a conversion I wouldn't mind as long as the game works.
I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

It is not likely to be a conversion. A conversion would cost more than the real thing. conversions are usually only done when a game was released in MVS, but not AES, versions, or where the AES version is very rare and expensive. Neither is the case here.

Plus, the fact that it was an auction rather than a buy-it-now could explain why it went for so low. Maybe no one else caught it in time to bid on it. I know I didn't. One advantage to auctions is just that: you can sometimes get something at a good deal just because no one else has bid on it, or saw it in time to bid on it.

If you paid by credit card, I wouldn't worry too much about it until you either never receive it, or if you receive it but it is not as described.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It is not likely to be a conversion. A conversion would cost more than the real thing. conversions are usually only done when a game was released in MVS, but not AES, versions, or where the AES version is very rare and expensive. Neither is the case here.

Plus, the fact that it was an auction rather than a buy-it-now could explain why it went for so low. Maybe no one else caught it in time to bid on it. I know I didn't. One advantage to auctions is just that: you can sometimes get something at a good deal just because no one else has bid on it, or saw it in time to bid on it.

If you paid by credit card, I wouldn't worry too much about it until you either never receive it, or if you receive it but it is not as described.

Another possibility is that quite a few people passed on it.... Because of the Fishyness...

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Most likely it's due to it being spelled "Neo Gio." When I'm looking for Neo Geo items, I generally search for it spelled correctly. That said--I'd bet he lifted the photo from somewhere, as he says the box is included but it's obviously not in the pic.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Most likely it's due to it being spelled "Neo Gio." When I'm looking for Neo Geo items, I generally search for it spelled correctly. That said--I'd bet he lifted the photo from somewhere, as he says the box is included but it's obviously not in the pic.

Always search for alternate spellings... If you want some real deals...

Especially:
neogeo -neo

Reminds me of the time I picked up a Street Fighter (1987) pcb for $35 shipped...

Guy had it listed as "Street Fight PC Board". I dug it up in a search for (board -pcb)

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member

Well yeah that was what I was hoping for because when I search for Neo games I just type Neo AES which is why I found this of course. But he changed something on the auction here is the original auction which had a picture of the box as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170225801704&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT&ih=007

Insaneclown

ICP Suxorz
It's only $20 dollars. I wouldnt worry about $20 too much. It's not like if he was scamming you for $200. Then Id worry. If I was to lose $20 Id be like Meh...but...I've lost $200 back then. :(

Also...if you were concerned...then why did you bid?

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
Well like you said $20 is not much so I was not worried about it. I bidded $55 max on it. I figure if it's a scam then I don't have too much to worry about since that is a very low cost. But I I don't at least try I may miss out on a great price.
Needless to say I have not been contacted by him yet. I sent him one email with payment then waited 2 days and sent him another email today asking when it will ship. I see there are 2 other Neo-Geo games that he is selling that people are bidding on so... I guess those will probably end up the same way.

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
Yeah I'm even more convinced now that he is trying to scam.
After looking at his recently won auctions he bought just random stuff then reposted it for sale on Yahoo.jp auctions under the same name but with out the ebay at the end. He still has not responded to any corispondances that I've sent to him. I'm really sorry for who is winning his Dreamcast game auction that is for almost $150.

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
Yeah actually with some research that I did I was able to find out who that a***a person was. It turns out it's the same person who created the auction. I emailed him threatening him and just after that he bidded on all his own auctions with a new account. All of the info I have found out about this person and his dealings with yahoo auctions as extra proof has been turned over to ebay and they are looking into it. In the mean time I have since been refunded directly by the person who set up the auction and an email with an apology.
I'm thinking about emailing him back but... maybe I'm just going to drop it now and hopfully scared him enough that he wont pull this crap anymore.

[edit]
Damn it... now I'm looking at his feedback. All 4 of his auctions that have ended that he bidded on with his other account of course he has left positive feedback. On his account. Things like Prompt Shipping thanks! There is no fucking way a shipment from Japan can make it to the states. Auction that ended on Jun-13-08 19:36:08 PDT then positive feedback on shipment of the item on Jun-14-08 11:10.
This is one dumb scammer. 14 Hours to ship the package to the buyer. God I fucking hate people like this.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
You can't always get your money back with paypal. If there is no money to pull from the other person's paypal account, there's nothing they can do. Believe me, I learned that the hard way. I've got an outstanding collection claim in my favor for $150 or so from like 3 years ago, and I'm never getting it back because the scammer abandoned the account.

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
That's why I paied w/ credit card. So if paypal couldnt do anything I could deny it. Anyway the seller refunded the money to me because he knew I caught him in a scam.

ckchan

Shlong King,
20 Year Member
The photo he used is actually copy and cut from others, plus the too low price = probably a scammer,
It is lucky that he refunded money to you, but we should beware that he uses the same item or different a/c to scam in ebay again!

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
That's why I paied w/ credit card. So if paypal couldnt do anything I could deny it. Anyway the seller refunded the money to me because he knew I caught him in a scam.

Or get paypal buyer credit...

It has the same rules, but you don't have to bother with a third party if your claim gets granted but fund are unrecoverable.