Early bids on ebay

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
You should have been here during the SNK4EVA days, it was a second account for vwlunatic on ebay, he would bid on EVERYTHING MVS related. I made a thread about it a long time ago because he was bidding on everything and killing great BIN prices. IIRC some were like Pulstars for $50 BIN and he would bid 99 cents and kill the BIN option.

That's kind of a dick move, especially when the auction will likely end up much higher than the BIN.

With current Neo demand vs supply, if you see a good BIN, you should probably just buy now, think later. Otherwise, you're basically relying on weird ending times or collector senility.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
There might be cases where it is not ignorance, where for example they have a set amount they can pay. But other bidders will often just raise the maximum bid by a dollar in that case. So they can easily lose the chance to buy the item, by doing that. If you're willing to buy the item at that maximum price, it's likely others are willing to buy it at a dollar more.

In some cases people can't be on ebay when the auction closes. But they still might lose the chance to win, doing it that way. People can use portable devices like ipads these days.
If there are early bids, it shows other people there is interest in the item, which can also jack up the price.

You make some good points but you wilk never know what the early bidder is bidding and what his/her intentions are. Some people bid early just to keep track of the item. Some people just bid on something they already have and over payed for so that the next guy who wins that auction over pays as well. I've won auctions already at a lower price than my high by bidding early. Some people forget about the auction or it ends at a weird time like 4am. I've also been interested in some auctions were with a half hour left I walk away from the computer to go do something real quick and forget, go back to the computer and the auction ends at a lower price than average.

If you and some random dude are bidding on a item and your a cheap fuck and he's dead set on buying this item no matter the price, guess what? Your fugged. I dont think early bids is what drives the price up. I think shill bidding drives the price up. If a few sellers shill bid and drive the price up on a item, other sellers and buyers see that. BIN'S go up because they feel they could get more money for there item. Auctions start having high reserves. Starting prices on auctions are much higher. After a year or two that high price on that specific item becomes the norm. Has nothing to do with early bidders.

Last edited:

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Personally I like to bid super early and lock in my max bid right away... I find it discourages others when they place a bid and instantly it comes back "you have been out bid" over and over until they just give up. :keke:

giggsy07

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Personally I like to bid super early and lock in my max bid right away... I find it discourages others when they place a bid and instantly it comes back "you have been out bid" over and over until they just give up. :keke:
Is that because of you?Fucking hate that...:)

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
If you and some random dude are bidding on a item and your a cheap fuck and he's dead set on buying this item no matter the price, guess what? Your fugged. I dont think early bids is what drives the price up. I think shill bidding drives the price up. If a few sellers shill bid and drive the price up on a item, other sellers and buyers see that. BIN'S go up because they feel they could get more money for there item. Auctions start having high reserves. Starting prices on auctions are much higher. After a year or two that high price on that specific item becomes the norm. Has nothing to do with early bidders.

It's not just shill bidding, it's stupid/desperate buyers. I think I pretty much single handidly caused Keio on Sega CD to go from $350ish to $500 when I paid a premium price for two copies (longish story) :hammer:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
It's not just shill bidding, it's stupid/desperate buyers. I think I pretty much single handidly caused Keio on Sega CD to go from $350ish to $500 when I paid a premium price for two copies (longish story) :hammer:

We've all done it. As I get older I've become more patient. A few years ago I would drop bids by the $50-100 to make sure I won auctions. Now I'm more patient and usually have a set price.

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
I put an early bid quite often... It happended that seller sees no interest on their junk and accepts out-of-eBay offers, closing the auction before the ending.