Dune trailer

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Chunks of Nolan movies are good but he always manages to ruin anything they have going for them with multiple layers of bad choices and shallow pretentiousness and gimmicks masquerading as depth. And his refusal to use proper sound mixing certainly doesn't help.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I expect this movie to be good like every other Villeneuve movie.
You want to talk about outlandishly overrated, Villenueve is a perfect place to start. But I'm glad you said "good" and not "great". Everything he's done so far is fine, but he has yet to produce anything great. Unless all you care about it looks and not content. He'd make a perfect director for some Marvel Studios bullshit tripe.

Nope.

Not even a tangent.

I don't feel that strongly for or against Marvel/DC/etc.

I feel people can dislike a film and not have to be a fan of something else seen as the opposite.

right?

Maybe I wasnt even talking about you?

#not everything is about roker or sage

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
You want to talk about outlandishly overrated, Villenueve is a perfect place to start. But I'm glad you said "good" and not "great". Everything he's done so far is fine, but he has yet to produce anything great. Unless all you care about it looks and not content. He'd make a perfect director for some Marvel Studios bullshit tripe.
the only movie i really liked from him was blade runner 2049. i can live without the rest. if it means shitting on fami, i'll hate everything he touched.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Says the guy who liked Prometheus more than Aliens.

They seem to be the loudest dislikers in general, the marvel masses, and as Im a marvel hater, it seemed like a good place to start.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Says the guy who liked Prometheus more than Aliens.
Great point, James Cameron is another excellent candidate for the massively overrated pile. Just like Villenueve, he's great with visuals and effects, but has almost nothing to say. Making Cameron another perfect choice to do a Marvel movie.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Great point, James Cameron is another excellent candidate for the massively overrated pile. Just like Villenueve, he's great with visuals and effects, but has almost nothing to say. Making Cameron another perfect choice to do a Marvel movie.
Criticizing Cameron is one thing but anybody who considers Prometheus anything more than dog shit doesn't have good taste, point blank. Terrible movie by any measure.

Theruff

Cheng's Errand Boy
Great point, James Cameron is another excellent candidate for the massively overrated pile.
So glad people are finally seeing through the rose-tinted glasses. Movies like Avatar were good at the time visually, but ass in every other department.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Cameron has made exactly 3 good movies: Terminator, Aliens, and T2.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
True Lies was fun. Good action and a sense of humor. Don't think I've seen it since the 90s, but I remember enjoying it quite a bit.

famicommander

15 Year Member
True Lies was fun. Good action and a sense of humor. Don't think I've seen it since the 90s, but I remember enjoying it quite a bit.
True Lies is a bit of fun but it's a pretty fuckin' stupid ass movie. What carries it is the charisma of Arnold and Jamie Lee Curtis.

prof

you are forgetting one. the movie that is now responsible for causing the death of a billionaire.

Idk, man. Great effects and spectacle, but 3 plus hours of basically a generic love story and not much else plot-wise. Once was enough for me on that one. And if I recall, there was no intermission. I would have ducked out early, but I was the movie reviewer for the school paper in high school, and that was an assignment.

I mean, it wasn't a bad movie, but best picture and the accolades? Come on. I think that's where Cameron officially turned the corner as well.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Idk, man. Great effects and spectacle, but 3 plus hours of basically a generic love story and not much else plot-wise. Once was enough for me on that one. And if I recall, there was no intermission. I would have ducked out early, but I was the movie reviewer for the school paper in high school, and that was an assignment.

I mean, it wasn't a bad movie, but best picture and the accolades? Come on. I think that's where Cameron officially turned the corner as well.
The bewbs tho

prof

The bewbs tho
Yeah, I was in love with Kate Winslet, so that helped. She got me through Sense and Sensibility a year or two prior as well. Ha

She did one in 93/94 about a pair of girls who turn lesbian with each other and kill her mother. I forget the name of it now. But there was a story about it in Movieline magazine back then, and I was like, "who is she?" :love:
It was a foreign release, but I remember hounding my video store about it until they finally got a copy.

Anyway, the wife knows that if I ever get a shot with Kate, that's my free pass. :)

famicommander

15 Year Member

STK debating 3-years-ago-STK on the subject:

Yeah, Arrival was great. Not only for what it was, but for how easy it is to imagine what a chunk of generic shit it would have been under almost any other current director, with the exception of maybe Alex Garland.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’m sad we haven’t got any near future science fiction lately.

We had Gravity, Interstellar, and then Arrival.

All great.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I’m sad we haven’t got any near future science fiction lately.

We had Gravity, Interstellar, and then Arrival.

All great.
All great. Except Gravity and Interstellar, which sucked ass.

Go watch Annihilation instead.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
All great. Except Gravity and Interstellar, which sucked ass.

Go watch Annihilation instead.

LOL. I enjoyed them. I’ll check out Annihilation.

Point is though, give me more “realistic” near future sci-fi.

famicommander

15 Year Member
LOL. I enjoyed them. I’ll check out Annihilation.
Annihilation is pretty awesome.

From Alex Garland, the same guy who wrote/directed Ex Machina and wrote/produced/directed (uncredited) Dredd. I was recommended Annihilation in this thread years ago because I liked Arrival. Annihilation is a good counter-point to that movie. Similar setup, opposite resolution.