DS: True Swing Golf is GREAT!

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Got in a few hours of it last night, but I have to say that its damn good! 2D overhead view and club swing on the bottom, 3D view on the top. Menu system during play is very intuitive and it very comfortable to play with stylus only.

You can enter tournaments, make money, upgrade your gear clothing hair style/color... etc etc.. Its more of a serious golf game compared to mario golf and Hot Shots Golf. No real extras to it, just straight up golf, and I prefer that honestly. You can choose between 4 guys and 4 girls for your character and it saves it as the character you'll always use. You dont change characters when you play a regular game or tourney, but you may be able to change when you have multi-player, I just dont know yet.

One cool feature is that it looks like PictoChat can be running while you golf. So if you are playing multiplayer it will show on everyone's screen. Good way to harass your opponent.

2D graphics are very nice, but the 3D is OK. It isn't horrible, I just really notice the horizon background. Sound is good, just your basic golf music/FX..

Too bad you cant play it online.

Last edited:

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Is it Turf Masters good?

Man, Ive been looking forward to this game for a year.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Nesagwa said:
Is it Turf Masters good?

Man, Ive been looking forward to this game for a year.

hahaha, of course I'm going to say its not Turf Masters good, but I'm bias. Its very good in my book, I really like the controls and the overall feel of the game.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
NeoTurfMasta said:
hahaha, of course I'm going to say its not Turf Masters good, but I'm bias. Its very good in my book, I really like the controls and the overall feel of the game.

I agree, it is an excellent game. I imported the UK version back before Christmas and still play it almost everday.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
It doesn't play like Tiger Woods on DS, does it? That's my main fear on this one. Looks pretty cool, but if it plays like Tiger Woods I don't want it near my DS.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
jro said:
It doesn't play like Tiger Woods on DS, does it? That's my main fear on this one. Looks pretty cool, but if it plays like Tiger Woods I don't want it near my DS.

No. Tiger Woods for the DS is the worst golf game ever made IMO. (And I am a huge Tiger Woods golf fan)

This plays fantastic. Simply draw back with the stylus and then draw forward to hit a perfect shot. You really feel like you are in control of where the ball goes. I have chipped in several key shots when needed. The character graphics are probably the only down side IMO. However...every thing else looks good and single card/2-4 player play is a lot of fun.

This game also has a nice career mode to keep you busy. Lots of courses and a lot of things to buy.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Gameoz said:
No. Tiger Woods for the DS is the worst golf game ever made IMO. (And I am a huge Tiger Woods golf fan)

This plays fantastic. Simply draw back with the stylus and then draw forward to hit a perfect shot. You really feel like you are in control of where the ball goes. I have chipped in several key shots when needed. The character graphics are probably the only down side IMO. However...every thing else looks good and single card/2-4 player play is a lot of fun.

This game also has a nice career mode to keep you busy. Lots of courses and a lot of things to buy.
That's a relief to hear. I agree that Tiger Woods DS set a new standard for pure evil in golf videogames. I played a friend's copy for about 2 holes, then said, wow, this is utterly terrible, I'm glad I didn't buy it. Dude admitted it was bad and traded it in a few days later.

I'll have to look for True Swing when I head out to pick up DMC 3 SE later today. A new DS game is always welcome in the old stack.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Played through the Rookie and half of Pro class and I have to upgrade my Good to GREAT. So topic changed ;)

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Good to hear. I was waiting to hear from the folks here about the game.

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
I've been playing this off and on for the past few weeks, it's better than the scores most reviewers gave it. It's definitely more challenging than most golf games, as some of the courses are tough just to break even par on. Graphics are kind of a mixed bag, some of the 3D environments are good while some of the textures (like the characters and the trees) are really kind of ugly/barebones.

I still wouldn't put it above Neo Turf Masters (either version) but it's still quite good.

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
I like Hotshots Golf on PSP more, but I tried Touch Golf and it was cool using the touchscreen for swings.