DS to become PDA device, While GBA2 Takes on PSP

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
I read this on Spong earlier. While they're usually a rampant rumor mill, they often times are right.

As an, aforementioned in the article, earlier adopter of the DS (2 days after launch)- I'm not sure how I feel. I mean, I knew going in that the DS wasn't the Gameboy successor and one was coming out. I guess I just didn't think it'd be this soon.

To be honest, I think I'll dig the PDA options. I'll buy the software (if it's reasonable) and I'll use it. But I didn't buy a PDA. I bought a game system, or so I thought.

I always knew there was gonna be a GBA2, but I didn't think they'd push the DS to a 'device'.

I suppose if they keep making games for it, then there's no real problem. Still, not sure if I'm gonna want to drop another $140+ in a few months on another system.

Think Nintendo might have jumped the shark here? I mean, those who'll buy the DS first would be the loyal fans... the same ones you want to back you on the GBA2 launch.

Is this 32X all over again?

Any DS owners have any feelings?

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
As I said in another thread, I'll be pretty pissed if the Spong story is true. I bought a DS near launch and I wanted a gaming machine with a good lifespan and a decent library of games.
So far the library is pathetic, even counting the upcoming releases(I'll exclude Castlevania and a few others from this statement) and I sure as hell don't want or need a PDA. There's a reason I never bothered to buy a palmpilot...I just wouldn't use one.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Blaine said:
Is this 32X all over again?

You mean Virtual Boy?

I'll wait for the GBA2-SP.

Now seriously, I don't trust that news site at any level, but for some reason, I wouldn't be surprised if they turned the DS into a cheap PDA device with GBA compatibility.

Again, I don't trust this site - I mean, the GBA even got video-conferencing hardware add-ons, but that didn't turn the system into a device that can only work as a PDA.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
If this is true then this is the official start of the beginning of Nintendo as a third party software developer. Nintendo only has their loyal fans left and once they piss them off it's over!

Highlander67

Sultan of Slugs
neo_X7 said:
If this is true then this is the official start of the beginning of Nintendo as a third party software developer. Nintendo only has their loyal fans left and once they piss them off it's over!

That's a reasonably bold statement to make considering Nintendo has made the claim in the first place the DS is not the successor of the Nintendo DS. But it is bad timing to release one system and then to release another within a year's time. Though, I it would be cool for Nintendo to release a system on par with the PSP in terms of graphics would be nice. I guess only time will tell.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Highlander67 said:
That's a reasonably bold statement to make considering Nintendo has made the claim in the first place the DS is not the successor of the Nintendo DS. But it is bad timing to release one system and then to release another within a year's time. Though, I it would be cool for Nintendo to release a system on par with the PSP in terms of graphics would be nice. I guess only time will tell.

Not bold, if true it's going the be the Saturn and 32X all over again and the beginning of the end. When companies fuck over their customers it kills them, such as what happened to Atari=7800,Jag, NEC=PCFX, Sega=Saturn US,32X,Dreamcast. Nintendo has already had their one fuck up with the Virtual Boy and lied about third party support for the N64 at it's launch, which is another reason way I think that people won’t give the gamecube a chance.

Last edited:

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Highlander67 said:
Nintendo has made the claim in the first place the DS is not the successor of the Nintendo DS.

Ok.

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
Mushiki said:
You mean Virtual Boy?

Nope.

I mean the 32X. The 32X was released and almost immediately abandoned and followed with the Saturn, alienating those 'early adopters' of the 32X in favor of a completely different system.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Blaine said:
Nope.

I mean the 32X. The 32X was released and almost immediately abandoned and followed with the Saturn, alienating those 'early adopters' of the 32X in favor of a completely different system.

Ok, I understand, I was just linking it to "HUGE FAILURE" and not to such a specific issue.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Mushiki said:
Ok, I understand, I was just linking it to "HUGE FAILURE" and not to such a specific issue.

History has a way of repeating it's self.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You know, Blaine, I really like the little gizmo. I should have known better than to trust nintendo would support it though. When they stray beyond conventional gaming, they usually only support their new gimmick for a short while.

E-reader
ROB
Virtua Boy
and the list can now include DS...if this GBA2 rumor is true.

We all should have known better.

Soniku

Nintendo always stated some bullshit about how the DS and GBA were supposed to "coexist." I'm guessing that they figured normal games would be on the GBA and crazy games would be on the DS... As much sense as that seems to make, I don't understand why both normal and crazy games couldn't be on the DS. Even if it's just for stats, the secondary screen can always be used, and if the developers really don't want to use it, then just... don't. Maybe that won't go over well for marketing, seeing a game on the DS that only uses one screen. Too bad consumers are dumb asses.

There's no reason for developers to limit themselves to the inferior GBA hardware if they can do more with the DS.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
The stores in my town are liquidating GBA games big time. I was at Target the other day and they took all of the GBA games out of the display case and trough them all in the bargain bin. Only thing they put in it's place was 5 DS games, I really don’t see the point in stores liquidating their stock just yet. Sad thing is it reminds me of Aug 2000 when the PS2 was just around the corner and stores were dumping Dreamcast games as quick as they could.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Soniku17 said:
There's no reason for developers to limit themselves to the inferior GBA hardware if they can do more with the DS.

Exactly...

The same development tools can be used to create DS titles...

I don't give a fuck if they use the touch screen, just as long as the screen is in use somehow..

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Like I said before...

Despite ANYTHING Nintendo told the gaming press, the entire point of the DS was to take thunder away from the PSP debut and to get people to commit to the Nintendo brand when the Sony product was still a while off.

It's a sacrifical lamb so Nintendo can preserve their market share.

Soniku

neo_X7 said:
The stores in my town are liquidating GBA games big time. I was at Target the other day and they took all of the GBA games out of the display case and trough them all in the bargain bin. Only thing they put in it's place was 5 DS games, I really don’t see the point in stores liquidating their stock just yet. Sad thing is it reminds me of Aug 2000 when the PS2 was just around the corner and stores were dumping Dreamcast games as quick as they could.

Yeah, it's sad when retailers don't know what the hell it is that they're selling anymore, and that goes for about 99-, no all of them.

VanillaThunder said:
Like I said before...

Despite ANYTHING Nintendo told the gaming press, the entire point of the DS was to take thunder away from the PSP debut and to get people to commit to the Nintendo brand when the Sony product was still a while off.

It makes sense and sounds like a good strategy, but unless they actually some decent games out, it's going to backfire on them. There is some promising stuff on the way, but the same could have been said about Dreamcast, although that was actually good, just got 0wn3d half-way through.

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
shit I said this months ago and no-one listened.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
i got a ds on launch

honestly?

i dont mind.

i always wanted a pda and a wireless conectivity device (aim, internet) thatd be cool.

i love the ds and its concept, i just dont think the developers are/were willing to go for it.

using the second screen for a map or stats is so fucking useful on its own, who needs touch?

pso would make a great ds game

Underdog

Camel Slug
I'd feel a little burned. I knew a GBA2 was coming but I wouldn't have expected it so soon.

Whatever though, the DS has some quality titles coming up and it's still a better GBA than the SP ever was. It's not like there'll be nothing to play on it.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
VanillaThunder said:
Like I said before...

interesting theory.
and while I don't really like nintendo (only ever liked the super famicom and the virtual boy), but I would buy a portable Gamecube over a portable PS2 any day of the week.

The funny thing is

The only Nintendo system I've ever bought at launch is the Ds.

The GC and SNEs were pretty young when I got one sure, but not as young as my Dreamcast.

If they release a "new" GB model, I'll wait the months or years I've waitred ithg other Nintendo systems.

But the DS is just so awesome. (I would have bought an SP around launch, but they were actually scarace around this town when they launched)

C.A.R25

Genjuro's Frog
CNN stated something similar...

Over at CNNs tech link... it stated that Nintendo was planning of bring up the new GB model real early by end of this year.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/28/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm

Personally... I think this is another sign of panic from the big N... they rushed the DS, and now they feel the need to rush up another project... so probably DS was just a "fill in."

BS tactics that hurt the consumers… if this info is true… don’t expect the DS to last as long as the GBA IMO (which had no serious competition).

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
I hope this isn't true, I was holding out on buying an SP for the DS (which I now own)

If it's true Nintendo better make shitloads of games for both (most games suck)

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Soniku17 said:
Nintendo always stated some bullshit about how the DS and GBA were supposed to "coexist." I'm guessing that they figured normal games would be on the GBA and crazy games would be on the DS... As much sense as that seems to make, I don't understand why both normal and crazy games couldn't be on the DS. Even if it's just for stats, the secondary screen can always be used, and if the developers really don't want to use it, then just... don't. Maybe that won't go over well for marketing, seeing a game on the DS that only uses one screen. Too bad consumers are dumb asses.

I think the co existing factor was there if the ds failed.. that way they still had the gba to make games for and hopefully make some money off of

SNZero

Mr. Big's Thug
I was gonna buy a DS in the hope that some good RPG's would be brought out later but I'm not sure wat to do now, do you think the DS will be made into a novelty system and the only really long lasting good games will appear on the GBA2?

I guess i'll just wait some more ...