Driving Game Board problem?

DaemoN

Camel Slug
Here's a question for the local HNG64 experts.

I have some mobos here, and they perform like this:

Two Rev 1 motherboards that accept Samurai Shodown 64 just fine, but if I put Drivers Edge into them, they give me this error: MACHINE CODE ERROR

now I have a 3rd Rev 1 motherboard, which instead of giving me this error...

- it does NOT like samurai shodown 64 at all, it fails the first IO test when I try it.

- when I put drivers edge into it, it shows me this looooooong screen with codes and whatnot, says "IO boot - NO" in red and when the screen's about full of tests, it fails with an I/O error, which leads me to the following questions:

Could this be a Driving motherboard, which lacks the extra IO card that controls the analog steering wheel and pedals?

Does anyone know if the game uses a wheel with pots or with an encoder wheel? Anyone with an actual driving cabinet mind unplugging the wheel and pedals to see if you get the same error?

I'm quite confident that this board is either a Driving or a Shooting one, just missing the extra IO board to control the different sort of input.

My guess is the guy ripped the board out of a cabinet, and left the extra needed part hooked to the wheels and pedals.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance!

- Daemon

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
Hey buddy, you could well be right there. I don't know of any way to check it as I'm yet to come across a driving cabinet anywhere. I could get it tried out with a Beast Busters cab to see if the same thing happens with shooting games if the guns aren't hooked up. Other than that I can't suggest much.

DaemoN

Camel Slug
Nice, thanks!

Did you decide if you'll seal our deal yet? :-)

I'm anxious to have another NG64 game ^_^

- Daemon

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
I've got to get myself a driving board first. Soon as I get one, Buriki is yours. It's not going anywhere else and I doubt those Road's Edge carts are either so I think we'll be OK for now.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
No, no. I know where one is at, I'm just trying to twist the guys arm into letting it go. I want Road's Edge and want to get rid of my second Buriki One cart so it's just a matter of time.

Spectre

Banned
DaemoN said:
- it does NOT like samurai shodown 64 at all, it fails the first IO test when I try it.

- when I put drivers edge into it, it shows me this looooooong screen with codes and whatnot, says "IO boot - NO" in red and when the screen's about full of tests, it fails with an I/O error, which leads me to the following questions:

Could this be a Driving motherboard, which lacks the extra IO card that controls the analog steering wheel and pedals?

This is very very probably a driving motherboard which is failing at boot because no wheel or pedals are hooked up to it. How you go about connecting a wheel and pedals to the board and if it uses a seperate I/O board inbetween or not I've sadly no idea.

There are other folks around who have copies of roads edge, and I think even complete cabinets in the hands of a couple of members, so maybe they can offer more info. A quick search will tell you who might be able to help...