Dreamcast - turns on but no video, no audio

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
So, I finally decided to turn on my old PAL Dreamcast after years and years of neglect, planning to install a Terraonion MODE. I already knew the GDRom drive was faulty (couldn't boot discs anymore), but I sure wasn't expecting this.

The orange led turns on, the fan is working, but I get no video and no audio from my RGB scart cable. The drive doesn't seem to look for discs, no noise from it.
It's not like there's absolutely no video output either: I can clearly see my TV switching to some black screen when I turn on the console, a black screen with some random noise, like a faint ghost image of some wavy lines.

I'd like to know if you guys experienced something like this, and if there's something I should try... I'd rather fix it than get another one, considering it's my original Dreamcast, with the box and all.
I already replaced the PSU many years ago (leaned the hard way not to play Crazy Taxi during a lightning storm), and the new one didn't get much use.

Thanks a lot in advance!

zinho

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
My famicom is experiencing similar issues I just want to wish you good luck cuz that sucks

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Instead of a useless post like above, have you removed the psu and bent the pins towards the contacts ever so slightly and then reseated the psu?

Please be succint in your support requests in future, this long winded story is unnecessary.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Instead of a useless post like above, have you removed the psu and bent the pins towards the contacts ever so slightly and then reseated the psu?

Please be succint in your support requests in future, this long winded story is unnecessary.

Please refrain from writing long explanations about why I should be more succint - only short advices and straight to the point, I don't need a full lecture and time is money.

😂 Just kidding, man... no, I haven't tried that, I'll be sure to check it. Thanks 👍

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Tried removing the PSU and slightly bending the pins as you suggested (I've also cleaned the contacts with some isopropyl alcohol) but no luck: still no video, no audio and no drive activity. Thanks anyway!

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
It's probably the RGB cable. Try a composite connection if possible and order another RGB cable to test.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
The drive is dead but the Dreamcast light is always orange unless you modded it.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
It's probably the RGB cable. Try a composite connection if possible and order another RGB cable to test.

I'll have to find the composite cable... I guess it was included with the console, but it's probably lost in some drawer. Thanks for the suggestion, if I can't find it I'll try ordering a new RGB from Amazon and returning it if it doesn't make any difference 👍
The drive is dead but the Dreamcast light is always orange unless you modded it.
Never modded it, no

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
I replaced almost everything on one of my Dreamcasts and had the same problem. The RGB cables are a problem and die pretty fast.
Some dirt cheap cables are also only composite over scart. Get a real RGB cable from a trusted seller.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Good to know. Still weird that the drive isn't making any sound... no attempts to read the disc. if I remember correctly, even before this "no video/no audio" problem it couldn't boot any games, but it should at least try

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I've found an old thread in another forum with the same exact issue: no video, no sound, no drive activity, but orange light and the fan is on (and the VMU beeps when you turn on the console). The guy solved it by replacing the PSU, if the new cable doesn't work I'll probably have to do the same - maybe a dreampsu from Aliexpress, those things are relatively cheap.

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
A lot of DC issues, including non working gdrom drives, can be solved with a new PSU. Definitely worth a try.

Removing the gdrom and then putting it back in with the wrong length screws in the wrong places can also shred traces related to video output on the motherboard resting beneath. Hope that's not your issue as people generally consider that unfixable.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Order the DreamPSU anyway. The PSUs are ticking time bombs with all those capacitors. I already replaced the PSU on mine when I had similar problems.
Can send you a working PAL PSU but you can probably get a DreamPSU for the shipping costs from Germany to Italy.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Removing the gdrom and then putting it back in with the wrong length screws in the wrong places can also shred traces related to video output on the motherboard resting beneath. Hope that's not your issue as people generally consider that unfixable.
Oh, yeah, I've read about that possible mistake. Thankfully the only work I've ever done on my Dreamcast was changing the first PSU, so I'm pretty sure that's not the case - and if I'll manage to get it working again, I'll just remove the drive and put a MODE there (or maybe a GDEmu? The price difference is not insignificant.)

Order the DreamPSU anyway. The PSUs are ticking time bombs with all those capacitors. I already replaced the PSU on mine when I had similar problems.
Can send you a working PAL PSU but you can probably get a DreamPSU for the shipping costs from Germany to Italy.

Thanks Hattori, that's very kind of you. The cheapest DreamPSU with power adapter is 35 EUR on Aliexpress, so I guess it's easier that way, but I really appreciate the help 🤝

Last edited:

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
So, I've managed to do a much better test with my brother's help (he's the tech guy) and I'm afraid my Dreamcast is gone, or at least very hard to repair. Using a laboratory power supply in place of the PSU, we noticed a big current draw on the 3.3V line (up to 2A), which explains the voltage drop we measured with the original PSU. That means that even a DreamPSU wouldn't solve any problem, 'cause the issue is on the mainboard - a short, or something else.

I just don't have time to tackle this kind of problem, so I've accepted defeat and already placed an order for a used Dreamcast with GDemu installed. I'll keep the old one for parts since the PSU seems to be perfectly fine.

Thank you very much Heinz, Hattori, sirlynxalot: the battle is lost, but I truly appreciate your help and support!

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Glad you keep it for parts. Would still recommend the DreamPSU. I bought a Japanese junk Dreamcast when the Mode was released and replaced the PSU and the drive. That's actually the only Dreamcast I still use.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
👍 I'll probably do that too, yup (ordering from Aliexpress, since on Amazon it's basically double the price for the same product)