Dreamcast S-video with the naki vga box

rebellion1

Mr. Big's Thug
ok, i picked up a used naki vga box for my DC and wanted to use it to hook up my system to my pc monitor, AND to use it also as a very nice s-video connector.

The vga part worked just beautifully. You won't believe what ikaruga or REZ looks like at such a high resolution. The problem happened when i tried the s-video connection

at first it looked fine, but then i noticed that it had a "crawling" effect as if there was alot of distortion on the picture and that things were crawling up the screen in the background. When i switched back to my pelican dreamcast s-video cable, the picture looked just fine.

I then tried a direct s-video to TV with the vga box, and then it wouldnt even work!!! i'm thinking its just a shitty s-video connection in the vga box, so i'll try it again when my NEW vga box comes from ebay.

i bought the used one for real cheap at some local game store cause i wanted an extra one in case they became scarce.

Does it sound like that the used one i got just was fucked, or is this something that happens with the naki vga box?

also, is there ANYWHERE i can find a really high quality s-video cable for the dc? like the sega brand one (or if they made it, a monster one?!)

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Sounds like a problem with the converter. I used a Performance VGA Box for over 2 years (Bluevoodu has it now), and it was nothing less than spectacular.

rebellion1

Mr. Big's Thug
you used the s-video part on it?

if so, ill just try the new one im getting soon and ill pick up a monster s-video cable to use with it if it loks good (i think the package i got comes with some cables)

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
oh PLEASE do not buy a monster cable.

they are, without a doubt, THE biggest cable ripoff ever invented. Overhyped, overpriced, NOT worth it.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
rebellion1 said:
you used the s-video part on it?

if so, ill just try the new one im getting soon and ill pick up a monster s-video cable to use with it if it loks good (i think the package i got comes with some cables)

No, I used it on my old 17" flatscreen monitor.

rebellion1

Mr. Big's Thug
c.t.h said:
oh PLEASE do not buy a monster cable.

they are, without a doubt, THE biggest cable ripoff ever invented. Overhyped, overpriced, NOT worth it.

i must disagree, while overpriced they are much better in my opinion.

I used them when i played electric guitar in some hardcore/metal bands and could tell the difference in sound quality between them and other brands i used.

when i put the monster ps2 cable on after replacing the generic one i had, the difference was fucking amazing. THe sound was so much better and didnt get distorted at high levels (I use my stereo) like the old ones did, and the picture is just do goddamn clear with the monster s-video.

i luv em!

rebellion1

Mr. Big's Thug
Ghost-Dog said:
No, I used it on my old 17" flatscreen monitor.

oh, well the vga part worked great. i just wanted to know how good it was for s-video connection because when you use it, you can use whatever brand or quality cables you want to from the initial naki connection.

so THEORETICALLY, it should look and sound better when some high quality cables are used.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
rebellion1 said:
ok, i picked up a used naki vga box for my DC and wanted to use it to hook up my system to my pc monitor, AND to use it also as a very nice s-video connector.

The vga part worked just beautifully. You won't believe what ikaruga or REZ looks like at such a high resolution. The problem happened when i tried the s-video connection

at first it looked fine, but then i noticed that it had a "crawling" effect as if there was alot of distortion on the picture and that things were crawling up the screen in the background. When i switched back to my pelican dreamcast s-video cable, the picture looked just fine.

I then tried a direct s-video to TV with the vga box, and then it wouldnt even work!!! i'm thinking its just a shitty s-video connection in the vga box, so i'll try it again when my NEW vga box comes from ebay.

i bought the used one for real cheap at some local game store cause i wanted an extra one in case they became scarce.

Does it sound like that the used one i got just was fucked, or is this something that happens with the naki vga box?

also, is there ANYWHERE i can find a really high quality s-video cable for the dc? like the sega brand one (or if they made it, a monster one?!)

you can get brand new official sega s-video dc cables off yahoo japan for 20-30 dollars, mine was 18 about a year ago. i know it's yahoo japan and it can be a bitch, but it's your best bet, i NEVER saw even one official cable on ebay all the time i looked. the cable is awesome, it's SUPER thick and stiff, it was so fucking thick it almost knocked my dc off the shelf when i plugged it in and didn't give it time to mold. gold connections too. i have the official saturn svid cable and it's way higher quality than even that.

Last edited:

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
That VGA box rocked... it only cost me about 15 dollars or less. I want to get a universal one now that they are starting to sell them in stores (like Best Buy).