Dreamcast KOF Question

Yuri-chan

Armored Scrum Object
Playmore has released KOF 2000 and KOF 2001 for the DC. Playmore has even confomed taht they will release KOF 2002 for the DC as well. Are these versions of the game as good as the Neo Geo cart originals?

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
Here we go....

i would type a lengthy reply but it would get cut to shreds within minutes, so i won't bother.

I will conclude: they are good value for money.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
I think I am one of the best persons
to describe ports, but I will hold my
words depending on the replies others make.

drool_2 drool_2 drool_2

Yuri-chan

Armored Scrum Object
For some reason the save system in KOF 2001 for DC seems corrupted. When you try to do a high score the game doesn't save it. Lets say I score 450000 ponits. The game still stays that its 358000 when I try to play it again. :o

Anyhow, I actually own the Cart of KOF '01.

<small>[ March 04, 2003, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Yuri-chan ]</small>

Super Porky

Camel Slug
The only difference I notice is the resolution. The games don't take up the entire screen on the DC, like they do on the Neo.

Devil_Gans

Bu, ,
They are decent ports.DC port of KOF 2000 was rushed.Iori has his quick backhop kick missing in this version.The aquarium stage has some slowdown and the sound is not as clear or crisp as the original.
It was very evident that the DC port was rushed because a few months later playmore released a PS2 port which was more faithful to the arcade version and Iori's quick backhop kick was intact for the PS2 version.

I would not blame the DC hardware for these less than perfect ports because its clearly more powerful than the neo.The playmore programmers are to be blamed.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Devil_Gans:
I would not blame the DC hardware for these less than perfect ports because its clearly more powerful than the neo.The playmore programmers are to be blamed.
so true. a fact many neo fans cant grasp, that the neo has been eclipsed, but snk cant port worth a shit.

and when you bring up the Vs games on saturn, or sf3 on dc they:
a. nitpick about minute difference, like .2 second loads
b. say they suck and dont have as much animation as kof (hahahah right)

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
Value, yes.

If you are a collector..... well, we need say no more. Get the Neo version.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
Super Porky:
The only difference I notice is the resolution. The games don't take up the entire screen on the DC, like they do on the Neo.
The DC ports run at the same resolution, however, the Neo tends to have more overscan than the DC. In fact, the DC has the least overscan of any console I've used. Also, the aspect ratio is a little off on the DC when compared to the Neo, making everything look slightly 'taller'.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
Its already been said, but I'll say it again, for the money, the DC ports are great.

Mike

Yuri-chan

Armored Scrum Object
As long as the KOF game is good, I say nothing bad about the DC ports. When I compare both of them, it does seem like the characters a smaller in ther DC. But KOF is still KOF and that's what counts. I agree, for the money its great.

The DC kicks ass when it comes to fighters... :D

Mysteriozone

Quiz Detective
I have KOF 94-98 on the Neo and 99-2001 on the DC. I plan to get 2002 for the DC too. Honestly the DC versions are good enough for me as I'd rather pay $50 than $200, the DC ports are great looking, sounding and have great control and that's all I need.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
My 2c:

KoF99 Dream Match - Eww. Didn't like it, must be because I play lots of KoF98 on Neo. It does not feel accurate, some of my fave combos with Ryo, Goro or Joe don't work if timed like on Neo.

KoF99 Evolution - Nice port. The 3D backs are debatable, but Evo feels a lot better than Dream Match. AFAIK, there are issues with anim cuts, but don't quote me on that. You can also link your NGPC KoF R2 to KoF99 Evo and upload extra strikers.

KoF2k - Devil_Gans said it already, it's rushed and incomplete, and the slowdowns can get really annoying. Puzzle mode is nice if you are into those things. It also contains a selection of classical KoF backs from 94 - 99 useable in 2P games, but IMO, they did not make a good choice with some of them. No Pao Pao Cafe?! Ha.

KoF2k1 - Better than the 2k port, but somehow, Playmore managed to tone the whole game down even more. IMO, 2k1 DC is much easier than the original, even on 8. This sucks, but fighting against Igniz is a lil' more interesting in the DC version. You can actually FIGHT Igniz on 8 without resorting to cheap crouch+big jump tactics. The puzzle fighter mode is cool, better than the 2k one.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
sonic1687:
Devil_Gans:
so true. a fact many neo fans cant grasp, that the neo has been eclipsed, but snk cant port worth a shit.

and when you bring up the Vs games on saturn, or sf3 on dc they:
a. nitpick about minute difference, like .2 second loads
b. say they suck and dont have as much animation as kof (hahahah right)
PENISENVY1954547