Dracula the Undead - how’s the Lynx get such a legit game?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

Someone suggested I check it out for my Dracula series, and I wasn’t sure a game on the Lynx would be something I’d find that good, but damn it I wasn’t wrong. Sure it has its issues (no saving, unwinnable states) but short of those small issues it was actually a super interesting, atmospheric adventure game.

Anyone else have the chance to check this one out?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I bought this one when it came out. I always thought it was a really nice showcase for the lynx, right next to Blue Lightning. I will say I never finished it though. I sat down multiple times with notes and (something I no longer have in life) DRIVE...but never did it. I should dig up a FAQ and tear through it. It's like a really great PC point and click in your hands.

Prices on everything are stupid now, but lynx games were always pretty cheap and undesirable....so you could snag this game for nothing. Who knows now? I don't even want to know.

Great video btw! Oh jeeez, I remember that stupid window part.

Last edited:

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I bought this one when it came out. I always thought it was a really nice showcase for the lynx, right next to Blue Lightning. I will say I never finished it though. I sat down multiple times with notes and (something I no longer have in life) DRIVE...but never did it. I should dig up a FAQ and tear through it. It's like a really great PC point and click in your hands.

Prices on everything are stupid now, but lynx games were always pretty cheap and undesirable....so you could snag this game for nothing. Who knows now? I don't even want to know.

Great video btw! Oh jeeez, I remember that stupid window part.

Yeah same here. I bought a Lynx for maybe the third time during its death throws, possibly around 1995. I had this game and think I only played it about six times and I remember it pissed me off. That was unlike me , I usually beat everything I owned up until that point.

A coworker talked me into selling it to him (the whole lynx and all the games I bought). He claimed he was going to give it to his kids for a birthday present.

Yeah maybe I should snuggle up with a walk-through and give it another go.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Maybe it's because I grew up in Vermont but I never saw a Lynx or any games for sale when it was actively being sold, so it's fun to experience it as an adult.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Maybe it's because I grew up in Vermont but I never saw a Lynx or any games for sale when it was actively being sold, so it's fun to experience it as an adult.

They were in the display case at Toys R Us when I was growing up and I luckily (or unluckily depending on your POV) had to work as a kid during school breaks...which sucked. But, it allowed me to save money and buy some things my friends couldn't have....such as a Lynx!

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
They were in the display case at Toys R Us when I was growing up and I luckily (or unluckily depending on your POV) had to work as a kid during school breaks...which sucked. But, it allowed me to save money and buy some things my friends couldn't have....such as a Lynx!

I don't think VT even had a Toys R Us. I remember going to the one in Albany NY

Yoshi

20 Year Member
A high school buddy and I used to link our Lynxes on school trips. I'm not sure there was ever a piece of hardware as far ahead of its time as the Lynx. It had stuff like like hardware scaling and rotation that the Genesis and Turbo didn't, and it was a damn portable.

I had Dracula when it was available at retail but also failed to finish it. I recall it being a bit too long for the trial and error nature, but I would have loved to see all of it with a walkthrough.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
A high school buddy and I used to link our Lynxes on school trips. I'm not sure there was ever a piece of hardware as far ahead of its time as the Lynx. It had stuff like like hardware scaling and rotation that the Genesis and Turbo didn't, and it was a damn portable.

I had Dracula when it was available at retail but also failed to finish it. I recall it being a bit too long for the trial and error nature, but I would have loved to see all of it with a walkthrough.

It can be beaten quickly with a walkthrough as long as you don’t miss anything and get it into an unwinnable state, which is exactly what I did in my video lol

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
"atari jaguar"?

edit:
anyway, cool video, thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Nice video, I really like the game I haven't got very far into it yet but as soon as my lynx mods get completely finished I fully intend to. It's a shame the lynx didn't get better games developed for it.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member

Well, we've found you -- the only ones who ever used the Comlynx cable as kids. Congratulations, that's pretty rad.

I've never played this game, but I knew of its existence back in the day. I'll have to try it.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Great video - I had no idea this game existed, I ordered a copy and am lookin forward to playing it! Thanks

shadowsfollow

New Challenger
this game looks dreadful but then again to each their own. The Linx has a Ninja Gaiden 3 port aparently, I find that interesting.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
this game looks dreadful but then again to each their own. The Linx has a Ninja Gaiden 3 port aparently, I find that interesting.

It's a decent port, but of more interest is the Ninja Gaiden arcade port on Lynx. Besides some Euro PC versions, it was the only home port of the original arcade game until an emulated version was released with Ninja Gaiden Black in 2005.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member

It's definitely something that would appeal to an older crowd or those that were playing point and click adventures back in the day. But if, for whatever reason, you skipped that part of gaming...yes, I understand it looking dreadful. But from that POV you could say that about 99% of the Lynx library. lol

shadowsfollow

New Challenger
^Very true. I remember games like Carmen San Diego and things like that but it never really appealed to me. I had next to no computer gaming nor heavy reading games as I didn't speak English at the time.

@fammicommander; Yeah I was aware of the Arcade port, glad you mentioned it. I mean those 2 games are reason enough to own the Lynx IMHO, maybe some day.

I'm also aware of the NGB arcade port, actually play NGB quite frequently.

Edit: I thought playing NGB on the 360 was awesome until I played it on Xbone, if you haven't, you owe it to yourself.

Taking it a bit off topic some more, sorry OP.

There are quite a bit of Ninja Gaiden games out there, I think the Game Gear NG gets very little attention, fun game.

Last edited: