DOOM!!!

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I'm going to hold out for the inevitable A'Can port.:crying:

geise

Mickey's Coach
There's just way too much crazy shit that happens in this game. It's awesome. Random story:

I'm fighting a group of baddies, lead by a Hell Knight (who's much tougher in this game than in Doom 2) and a bunch of imps running around. I kill a few of the imps then start dancing with the Hell Knight, avoiding him and shooting him in the head with the shotgun, he's almost dead. I don't realize it, but one of the imps I didn't kill got me from behind, ripped my intestines out, then ripped off my left arm and beat me to death with it. When I continued, I chainsawed the Hell Knight in half and then ripped the jaws off of some imps in retaliation.

That paragraph should tell you if you need this game in your life or not.

LOL! I will go buy this now!

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I was hoping for strafe jumping but it is not there. The MP is pretty lame, but single player is good.

What do you mean its not there. It doesn't work? Maybe it only works on Vulkan? That would be weird.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
When you fall in the molten slag in the foundry, doomguy gives the terminator 2 thumbs up when arnuld gets lowered in.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
When you fall in the molten slag in the foundry, doomguy gives the terminator 2 thumbs up when arnuld gets lowered in.

Yeah that shit is great. I like when you fall from high up into a pit and you catch the side of a mountain and do the impact cushion then immediately die.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I redbox'd it, and it gets a disc read error. Mrgrgrgr.

Looks like I'm destined only to play J-games.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Greg, it sounds like you're...

...Doomed.

YEAH!

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
The new Doom's half off over on Steam right now. There's also the Doom plus Steam Controller pack which is also on sale for a great price. That's what I got. I'm looking forward to receiving the controller. Yes, you get the game added to your Steam account right away. You don't have to wait for a key to come in the mail.

Though I still don't think it's the graphical powerhouse everyone says it is, I do realize that I'm playing on older hardware, so I'll reserve total judgement on that front until after I build my new PC in the fall.

I will say that the game does perform a lot better than it did when the single player demo first came out. It plays a lot more smoothly on higher graphical settings with a lot more stability than that demo ever did. It appears they updated the demo since I last played it, though. Anyway, I'm glad I waited to buy the game because it's a lot better now.

I've been playing with Vulkan. They say it isn't supported by 2GB graphics cards under Windows 7, but it's working for me even though it shouldn't. I don't know if it's much better or worse than OpenGL, but at least the game's smooth enough to play. One thing to note is that there isn't any menu pre-launch of the game asking if you want to boot it in OpenGL or Vulkan. The FAQ says there should be a menu. Maybe that's the game detecting that I don't meet minimum for Vulkan, but it does still let you select it in the in-game options.

Speaking of not meeting minimums, my overall system doesn't meet the minimum. I have a below-spec CPU, a Core i5 750 2.66GHz from 2009, and my graphics card is just a bit over minimum being a GTX 760.

I don't know what it is, but the game seems to be very sensitive to what your Windows audio settings are set to. If it's not 16-bit 44100Hz CD quality sound, then the voices and some other sounds will glitch. At least that seems to be my experience. This is the only program I've experienced this problem with. It also wasn't a problem with the older demo as far as I can tell, so maybe it's a new problem introduced by a later build of the game.

The gameplay is a blast, which isn't surprising considering what little bit of the old single player demo I played before it crashed for the umpteenth time. It feels a little awkward, though, since it seems like you're aiming downwards a lot of the time as if everyone's a lot shorter than you. Also, melee mechanics seem like they'll take some getting used to so you don't seemingly run past/through the person you're hitting.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Well, it seems I finally ran into a snag with Vulkan. It doesn't like loading one mission on my rig. OpenGL works, but it doesn't give me as smooth of an experience as Vulkan does.

I think I'm going to uninstall Doom and wait for my new computer to try it again.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
I bought it about a month ago from Green man gaming for $20. They had some Bethesda sale. I enjoyed the campaign a lot, but I'm not interested in the multiplayer.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
The multiplayer is horrible anyway, happens when you outsource that part to the same company who did the multiplayer for the more recent CoD games.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
For those that haven't picked this up and don't have the pc caulk power, console versions are 19.99 at GameStop today. I think I'll go get one.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
For those that haven't picked this up and don't have the pc caulk power, console versions are 19.99 at GameStop today. I think I'll go get one.

I got it pricematched at Target and got the 5% off with my red card in addition. Installing all glorious 63 gigabytes now.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
ketsui-DOOM.png

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
$19?.. wonder if steam had it for that yesterday. it's been $29 on gamesdeal.com for awhile now(pc version that is)

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member

It sucks, so this must be the big clearance to get rid of it.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
The new Doom's half off over on Steam right now. There's also the Doom plus Steam Controller pack which is also on sale for a great price. That's what I got. I'm looking forward to receiving the controller. Yes, you get the game added to your Steam account right away. You don't have to wait for a key to come in the mail.

Though I still don't think it's the graphical powerhouse everyone says it is, I do realize that I'm playing on older hardware, so I'll reserve total judgement on that front until after I build my new PC in the fall.

I will say that the game does perform a lot better than it did when the single player demo first came out. It plays a lot more smoothly on higher graphical settings with a lot more stability than that demo ever did. It appears they updated the demo since I last played it, though. Anyway, I'm glad I waited to buy the game because it's a lot better now.

I've been playing with Vulkan. They say it isn't supported by 2GB graphics cards under Windows 7, but it's working for me even though it shouldn't. I don't know if it's much better or worse than OpenGL, but at least the game's smooth enough to play. One thing to note is that there isn't any menu pre-launch of the game asking if you want to boot it in OpenGL or Vulkan. The FAQ says there should be a menu. Maybe that's the game detecting that I don't meet minimum for Vulkan, but it does still let you select it in the in-game options.

Speaking of not meeting minimums, my overall system doesn't meet the minimum. I have a below-spec CPU, a Core i5 750 2.66GHz from 2009, and my graphics card is just a bit over minimum being a GTX 760.

I don't know what it is, but the game seems to be very sensitive to what your Windows audio settings are set to. If it's not 16-bit 44100Hz CD quality sound, then the voices and some other sounds will glitch. At least that seems to be my experience. This is the only program I've experienced this problem with. It also wasn't a problem with the older demo as far as I can tell, so maybe it's a new problem introduced by a later build of the game.

The gameplay is a blast, which isn't surprising considering what little bit of the old single player demo I played before it crashed for the umpteenth time. It feels a little awkward, though, since it seems like you're aiming downwards a lot of the time as if everyone's a lot shorter than you. Also, melee mechanics seem like they'll take some getting used to so you don't seemingly run past/through the person you're hitting.

I too have been playing using the Vulkan setting and have gotten about 15 more FPS.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Running into a bit of a problem with this one: when I first installed the game it was working fine but now for some reason it is locked to 60fps. I am using a GTX1070 with a 144hz Gsync monitor - a bit of googling showed that this is a fairly well documented issue for Gsync users, but so far none of the solutions offered seem to work. Anybody has a fix for this?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Running into a bit of a problem with this one: when I first installed the game it was working fine but now for some reason it is locked to 60fps. I am using a GTX1070 with a 144hz Gsync monitor - a bit of googling showed that this is a fairly well documented issue for Gsync users, but so far none of the solutions offered seem to work. Anybody has a fix for this?

While running the cracked version it can revert to 30fps lock if you change a video setting mid game.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
While running the cracked version it can revert to 30fps lock if you change a video setting mid game.

Jesus, who would run a cracked version of Doom? I paid 20 bucks for my copy 3 months ago. If you can't be bothered to pay for that one you're a jerkwad. :P

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Jesus, who would run a cracked version of Doom? I paid 20 bucks for my copy 3 months ago. If you can't be bothered to pay for that one you're a jerkwad. :P

Hey the cheapest copy here for PC is steam which mind you is in US dollars. I think its $60 right now which is what $80 aud? seems a bit much for a game I might not like aye. ;)

I will pay the america tax if I feel it is justified.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Hey the cheapest copy here for PC is steam which mind you is in US dollars. I think its $60 right now which is what $80 aud? seems a bit much for a game I might not like aye. ;)

I will pay the america tax if I feel it is justified.

Bro!!! Never buy a game from steam direct. There are tons of sites that run killer deals. Check out isthereanydeal.com best site ever.