DOOM VFR - wtf

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
So Doom VFR is $5 on CDKeys, so I went ahead and got it because my Oculus has been sitting since I beat Half Life Alyx. That was a fun, and really immersive game.

I figured, shit - id software does really good even though Im not the hugest doom player ever. Graphics look good, sound is immersive. But there's one huge issue that made me go wtf.

There's no turning with the controller. Yes, I know this is a VR game. You use your head to turn the view, but even in Alyx, the head tracking doesn't actually make you change direction, it's just as if you are looking to your left, right, up, down etc. But in Alyx, you can enable sort of a 'snap' with the right stick. Its not as smooth as your average playstation controller's right stick, but it's very serviceable. Depending on your preference and hardware availability, Star Wars Squadrons gives you mouse controls, joypad controls, and even one of those full bore flight stick set ups with the hat and throttle and stick and whatnot.

Doom VFR does not have this. I thought "Oh it must be an option somewhere that for some ridiculous reason is off by default." Nope. So I did some googlin', and evidently you have to go into .cfg files and add lines of code, open the console by the ~ key and add some other shit, and even download some kind of controller profile from their workshop thing (think steam workshop mods). Some dudes are effectively modifying the game's code to make it work right.

Still didn't work. After a little more searching, I see that this is how id intended the game to be played, and that's completely asinine if you ask me. In a fast-paced 3D FPS you naturally want to look all over the place. You want to go around that box and look around it, rather than just strafe past it.

I figured, maybe its just me so let me try he game 'as intended.' So I cleared some room in my office, and tried playing standing up. If you want to look behind you, you need to physically turn around. Not your head, your entire body. But you have to look all over the place all the time so you're constantly twirling around like a god damned ballerina and giving yourself even more motion sickness if you get that from VR games (I do after about 30 mins).

Walking up to a control panel and you're like 65 degrees off center so the console is to your right, or left, etc. So you have to physically turn your entire body just to be centered.

Honestly, its quite discombobulating and I'm not a fan that there are no other control options. The right stick is entirely ignored in the game other than clicking it to change weapons, or clicking and holding to bring up the weapon wheel.

Glad it was only $5. Can you imagine paying $50 or whatever it was when it was released to find it effectively unplayable? Egregious.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I played Doom VFR with an HTC Vive and was able to physically turn around 360 degrees with it. Definitely a top-tier VR game. Is there something in their support forums about binding additional view controls?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Have you turned on smooth turning and free locomotion in the control settings? I played it on the PS VR with the Aim controller thing and never had an issue. Never tried to play it on a gamepad.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Have you turned on smooth turning and free locomotion in the control settings? I played it on the PS VR with the Aim controller thing and never had an issue. Never tried to play it on a gamepad.

I did turn on the free locomotion and smoothing, yeah.

I played Doom VFR with an HTC Vive and was able to physically turn around 360 degrees with it. Definitely a top-tier VR game. Is there something in their support forums about binding additional view controls?

I have an Oculus Quest 2, so maybe its not completely supported? Im not sure. I went into the controls view to look around and the images it has of a VR control set up is for something other than the Oculus, but that's just an image anyway. The buttons on the different VR controllers are all the same. 2 sticks, two triggers per hand, two buttons and a "menu" type button on each side, but when you try to look at the games key bindings, it shows what each element does, and for the right stick its basically blank.

edit: @ShootTheCore - did you play it on PC? Im assuming so since you mentioned using a Vive.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Been a bit since I played but aren't there quick turn buttons? Like you can turn 90 degrees at a time with a button press then do the fine aiming with the headset.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Been a bit since I played but aren't there quick turn buttons? Like you can turn 90 degrees at a time with a button press then do the fine aiming with the headset.

Those are the snap buttons like I mentioned for Alyx, yeah. From what I can tell, this game does not have that. Ive found videos (from like 5 and 7 years ago) about the same 'hack' or 'fix' that Ive tried, and they don't work. It looks like maybe there was an update and it broke it.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Those are the snap buttons like I mentioned for Alyx, yeah. From what I can tell, this game does not have that. Ive found videos (from like 5 and 7 years ago) about the same 'hack' or 'fix' that Ive tried, and they don't work. It looks like maybe there was an update and it broke it.
Well those are the default controls without free locomotion and smooth turning disabled, so I know they are in the game. I just thought I recalled being able to use them with those settings on.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Well those are the default controls without free locomotion and smooth turning disabled, so I know they are in the game. I just thought I recalled being able to use them with those settings on.

Yeah man, its not working. I can turn on free locomotion, which makes the left stick move me forward, back, and strafe from side to side.

But the right stick does nothing. I got ONE tiny change to work, and now if I push RIGHT on the right stick, the dude turns left. wtf.

If you can tell me literally exactly what settings you used and they worked, then great, I can do that. But you said you played it on a PSVR. Im on PC.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I ended up doing a different tutorial and it seems to have worked.

You have to download a profile from their workshop thing, then go into the console and type something like bind whateverthefuckgoeshere_A_lookleft and bind whateverthefuckgoeshere_B_lookright for it to start working.

So it appears that they ability to turn left and right using the right stick is there, but it's hidden and not operational. Maybe it wasn't like this when the game was released, but out the box it did not work like that at all, and there are no menu items within the game's options to turn the right stick into what its supposed to be.

They just locked it behind some ridiculous console command. Now I dont know if those bind things I did will keep upon restart, but if not - eh. It was five bucks so Im not out much if I just delete it.