Domino's prices worldwide

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Stumbled across the following article:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/09/why-is-dominos-so-expensive-in-the-uk-6432174/

The bit that matters is this:

mg_dominoes_pizza_gpx04smaller.png

I've always suspected pizza is the most overpriced of all takeaways - how they can justify the price for what's basically cheese on toast in a circle is beyond me. This article throws up some interesting questions though.

Aussies - first of all, is this true? Are the prices accurate? Are all pizza places this cheap?

Secondly, they're blaming the usual things - rent, labour, fuel etc etc on the price difference which means that all takeaway food should be massively cheaper in Australia than it is here, is this true?

Lastly, if the pricing is accurate, why are people prepared to pay 」6 extra for a couple of pineapple chunks to make it a hawaiian?!

I await answers with stuffed crust baited breath.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'd say the prices there for Australia are fairly accurate, the 3.04 pound margherita / pepperoni might be a deal price though. There is a dominos a few mins from my house but I prefer to drive to a local place about 10mins away. The prices are higher but they make pizzas you actually enjoy, no skimping on the toppings!

As a comparison, fish and chips costs me about $20 aud for minimum chips, 4 potato scallops, 8 onion rings and a piece of blue grenadier (hoki), few dollars more if I want scallops. So thats what 12-15 pounds? that gets shared that lot and I can't finish it without feeling sick!

edit: minimum wage is $15+ an hour and with cheap take away!

Last edited:

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
In the USA, Dominos charges $7.99 for a large 3-topping pizza currently for carry-out. That translates out to $6.40 UK.

The specialty pizza's are as expensive as the prices listed there.

Pizza is one of the great scams of our time, dough, sauce, cheese...costs maybe a $2 tops in supplies, a little more if toppings are factored in. Most normal pizzerias in the USA charge $2 per topping now. Say a large cheese pizza at a non-chain with 2 toppings, it will run you around $16-$18 at most pizza places. At most it costs them $3-$4 to make it. That's a profit margin of $12-$14 per large 2-topping pizza. Even your regular cheese pizza in my area will see a margin of $10-$12 per large pie. Still have to cover that overhead for rent, utilities, and other supplies though. It's laborious work unfortunately, and I don't envy these guys because the owner of a place by me is putting in 14-16 hour days at minimum. He does pretty well from what he has said to me, but imagine putting in that kind of work for over 20 years to support your family (wife, 3 kids) and that doesn't even factor in all the work he did at his family's pizzeria before he set out on his own. He's miserable and gets one day off a week at best. Fuck that.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Large margherita here is €13.00. But they have a deal where you can get Three larges for the price of two if you go collect it. It is however a scam. But I love a dominos. I love a papa johns more. But they're just better

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
For me to eat take out pizza from one of the chains, there has to be some kind of promo going on or I don't bother with it. The regular menu prices are ridiculous are high. If it comes down to it, I'd rather pay more money and get a good quality pizza from an independent establishment.

Don't forget HNR from Little Caesars is still $5 if you're ballin' on a budget :D

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I'd say the prices there for Australia are fairly accurate, the 3.04 pound margherita / pepperoni might be a deal price though. There is a dominos a few mins from my house but I prefer to drive to a local place about 10mins away. The prices are higher but they make pizzas you actually enjoy, no skimping on the toppings!

As a comparison, fish and chips costs me about $20 aud for minimum chips, 4 potato scallops, 8 onion rings and a piece of blue grenadier (hoki), few dollars more if I want scallops. So thats what 12-15 pounds? that gets shared that lot and I can't finish it without feeling sick!

Sounds like your fish and chips are more expensive than ours, but the pizza is a lot less. You'd think that would make pizza less popular here but there are ten pizza places within a 2 miles walk of my house, they're everywhere.

Cod or haddock all the way here, what's hoki like?

In the USA, Dominos charges $7.99 for a large 3-topping pizza currently for carry-out. That translates out to $6.40 UK.

Pizza is one of the great scams of our time, dough, sauce, cheese...costs maybe a $2 tops in supplies, a little more if toppings are factored in. Most normal pizzerias in the USA charge $2 per topping now. Say a large cheese pizza at a non-chain with 2 toppings, it will run you around $16-$18 at most pizza places. At most it costs them $3-$4 to make it. That's a profit margin of $12-$14 per large 2-topping pizza. Even your regular cheese pizza in my area will see a margin of $10-$12 per large pie. Still have to cover that overhead for rent, utilities, and other supplies though. It's laborious work unfortunately, and I don't envy these guys because the owner of a place by me is putting in 14-16 hour days at minimum. He does pretty well from what he has said to me, but imagine putting in that kind of work for over 20 years to support your family (wife, 3 kids) and that doesn't even factor in all the work he did at his family's pizzeria before he set out on his own. He's miserable and gets one day off a week at best. Fuck that.

The pizza scam is my thoughts exactly, the article goes on to say that each dominoes margherita they sell for £14.99 costs them £1.25 to make.

As for the guy you know, fingers crossed if he puts the hours in for a few years he should be doing well enough to get someone to step in and manage it for him while he sits back and counts the cash.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Sounds like your fish and chips are more expensive than ours, but the pizza is a lot less. You'd think that would make pizza less popular here but there are ten pizza places within a 2 miles walk of my house, they're everywhere.

Hoki's great but whiting and king george whiting is also good. Personally I love flathead but it's not often on the menu but it's buttery greatness.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Dunno about you guys. But if I'm getting chipper I'm getting a doner kebab. Fuck fish and chips, give me that greasy lamb filled pita.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
you need to try a HSP (halal snack pack) they're all the rage here!

hsp_plate.jpg

Think kebab but with chips and on a plate with sauces and cheese.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member

The pizza scam is my thoughts exactly, the article goes on to say that each dominoes margherita they sell for £14.99 costs them £1.25 to make.

As for the guy you know, fingers crossed if he puts the hours in for a few years he should be doing well enough to get someone to step in and manage it for him while he sits back and counts the cash.

Problem with the guy I know is that he will never let someone else manage it. He's old-school, came from Italy in 1979, still speaks with an Italian accent.

But yeah fuck him. I don't go there anymore because I got in a fight with him one night because he was in some fucking mood and took it out on me. I told him I don't pay He made a good pizza, but fortunately there's plenty of competition around. The only thing I miss there are the chicken parmigiana sandwiches they made...holy fuck they were incredible, and the next really great place for that is half an hour away. All these greaseball Italians around here with restaurants, and none of them know how to make a good chicken parmigiana. Actually the Mexicans the next town over do a better job than the Italians do.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member

Are you kidding me! What the fuck am I doing here then. I would move if I wasn't too lazy to learn to speak Australian.

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
Pizza is overpriced at domino's, luckily a quick net search gets you a decent deal.

Hate having to buy two or three pizzas to get a deal. Fuck that, just give me a large pepperoni for 11-12 or so and I'm good. I'd rather buy at a mom and pop than domino's also.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
realtalk dominos pizza is disgusting, if there is a legit italian restaurant nearby dont settle for less

their chicken wings are pretty good tho

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member

Pizza is one of the great scams of our time, dough, sauce, cheese...costs maybe a $2 tops in supplies, a little more if toppings are factored in. Most normal pizzerias in the USA charge $2 per topping now. Say a large cheese pizza at a non-chain with 2 toppings, it will run you around $16-$18 at most pizza places. At most it costs them $3-$4 to make it. That's a profit margin of $12-$14 per large 2-topping pizza. Even your regular cheese pizza in my area will see a margin of $10-$12 per large pie. Still have to cover that overhead for rent, utilities, and other supplies though.
Fairly true. Actual costs of a pizza is little for the indie place and with the big chains, it's cheaper since they get deals and bulk pricing. It's a lot like fountain drinks and French Fries...cheapest wholesale cost yet most places charge up to a 90% markup on sales. Hell, in some places the fries cost more than the burgers or chicken nuggets. They should be saying "Do you want a burger with your fries?" than the other way around :tickled:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
the price is heavily influenced by cheese. my girl was a pizza hut manager for a decade. cheese is like gold to them.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I haven't ate Domino's in over 2 decades but i hear they gotten better now. I see advertisement all the time of large 7.99 pizzas. My go to Pizza chain is Pizza Hutt, they have the $10 large any pizza deal for carryout. Works on specialty & i always add pineapple to it & change the sauce to Alfredo.

Wehn i went to Hong Kong awhile back, for some reason 1 pizza & some soda cost us almost $100.

Tanooki

War Room Troll

This entirely. I'll usually order 2 large 3 topping pizzas a month and drive the mile down the road to get them. $8 for a large with 3 toppings is fantastic. It was 4 days a week, recently made all week. Clearly they were making a killing at that price so they made it every day if you pick it up and they don't drive it out. It plays into what the rest of his post pointed out with the price gouging for just a few sprinkled on pieces of topping for like $2 here $3 there. It's like buying a coke at a restaurant and it's $2. The amount they get out of those huge cans they could charge a quarter and still be fine, it's finding ways to squeeze the most profit.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
For everyone who likes a cheap pan pizza with great quality toppings, I can recommend making it yourself from scratch. :)

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
I'm probably the only person who thinks frozen pizza tastes better than what you'll find at a chain or restaurant. Even the cheap brand's like Tony's I think taste great.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
Domino's suck, try Little Ceasar's instead.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Little Caesar's is delicious, just like I remember from childhood, but what crap is in it? I can't find the ingredients anywhere.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
you need to try a HSP (halal snack pack) they're all the rage here!

View attachment 42578

Think kebab but with chips and on a plate with sauces and cheese.
We have that here. They call it a kebab tray. It's alright. We have a varying array of dressed chips. Curry sauce, garlic sauce, cheeses, taco chips, tasty chips, bacon and cheese. It's all delicious in its own way. Taco chips are my favorite though. Beefy chili, cheese, and garlic mayo combine to make one hell of a chip tray.