Does anyone know how to find RGB on a Laseractive?

TLH

Zero's Secretary
Hi, I am looking to mod a Pioneer Laseractive CLD - 100 player to output RGB. Does anyone know where I can get signal, other than off the micro chroma encoder, which would be difficult at best. Is there a cap leg that I can draw from ? If so, does anyone know where? Thanks, tlh

ne7

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
am sure you cant get RGB out of those for the Laserdisc part :'( as yes laserdiscs are built for composite video anyway (from memory)... for example - I certainly see no quality difference from my Laserdisc player via Scart than over Composite: it looks exactly the same - and all my stuff is normally modded for RGB as I normally cant -stand- composite video output... with laserdiscs its ace!

Xavier

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
20 Year Member
There is a composite connection in scart so just because you're using scart doesnt mean that its rgb. Last time I looked at that link he hadnt actually finished it or reported on it working or not and it was many years ago.

A member here had said he did it and an svideo mod and it worked flawlessly but I think hes full of dooky. Heres why:

The system in my opinion uses two layers. Ones Rgb and the others composite. It uses composite for video and rgb for graphics and overlays. SOoo if you tap the rgb youll itll work fine for old school Genny and hu cards/cds ect. When you go to play the laserdiscs and laseractive games the laserdisc video wont work. With the svideo when you go to watch movies the OSD (on screen display) wont come up.

He was also bragging about the toslink connector for pure digital sound. Alot of material wont output sound with this method. Old laserdisc that only have analog stereo wont work. I think I remember most carts and cds didnt work right or at all
and Ive found even some of the Laseractive games themselves dont work through toslink. Blue Chicago Blue comes to mind, it kept playing the wrong soundtrack and it was off by a few seconds.

TLH

Zero's Secretary
Thanks all, X your right on point. Seems that the LD player itself is best in composite. That said, you can mod to output RGB from the Sega Pac. That is pretty much the story so far. Also, has anyone encountered an issue with the backup memory. Seem that mine will not format. I ran a search for dead format, but got no specifics. The backup ram cart will work from my sega cd, but I want to get the internal backup ram working again. Any help appreciated. Thanks,, tlh

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Somewhere I have some composite to RGB converters that were used in some old laserdisc powered arcade games if you're interested.