Does anyone hear enjoy Anime? These in particular: City Hunter, Evangelion,....

2DRevolution

Quiz Detective
I'm a fan of City Hunter, I have all the English Dubbed (unfortunately) of the Movies and i'm trying to by the Subtitled DvD boxed set of the tv show.

I have all the Evangelion DVDs. This is one of my personal favorites out of my Anime collection.

How many people enjoyed the Fatal Fury anime, I have all three of them as well, I actually lost count of how many times I've seen them all. In fact I watched all 3 of them this weekend again. buttrock

Unfortunately the other Neo Animes such as Art of Fighting and Samurai Showdown were horribly done :confused: I laughed at how bad Samurai Showdown was.

Of course Fatal Fury had one of the great action directors behind it (Masami Obari), which I'm sure helped a great deal.

Give me your opinions on Fatal Fury or any other anime for that matter. Peace :cool:

Shapermc

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
I recently just got the Coyboy Beebop "Best Of" DVD for $9.99. Great deal. Yup I am a large anime fan, just got really burned out on it when it got out of controll aroud the time "lain" was released. That is IMO that it got out of controll, really there was just way to much on the market for me to keep track of everything anymore.

ALSO for the title of this thread you ment to put here, not hear (That would mean that I am listening).

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
There's Anime fans a-plenty on these boards. I enjoy...

Vampire Hunter D
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Ninja Scroll
Ghost in the Shell
Hellsing
X TV
Fist of the Northstar
8Man After

...I can't wait for the Noir US release...

K_Dash

Zero's Tailor
Add another anime fan to the list. If your a gamer, especially a hardcore gamer, then you should have some appreciation to anime since it owes some of its concepts from it.

The series that I own/are collecting/watching right now are:
Evangalion (got all the DVD)
Excel Saga (getting no. 4 soon)
Akira (normal release version DVD)
Grave of the Fireflies (Collectors Edition)
Real Bout High School (DVD vol. 1)
Mobile Fighter G Gundam (watching it on CN)
.Hack//sign (watching it on CN)
Ghost in the Shell (VHS)
Street Fighter II: Animated picture (VHS)
Ranma 1/2: The Movie 2 (VHS)
Tekken: The Motion picture (piece of crap)
Nightwarriors Darkstalkers Revenge Vol. 1(VHS)
Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture (VHS)

And now for manga:
GTO
Love Hina
Kare Kano
Angelic Layer
Cardcaptor Sakura

Damn, there is so much anime and manga coming out it's mind-boggling. By the way, is City Hunter that good, I heard from others that it is mediocre at best.

<small>[ February 19, 2003, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: K_Dash ]</small>

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Shapermc:
I recently just got the Coyboy Beebop "Best Of" DVD for $9.99. Great deal. Yup I am a large anime fan, just got really burned out on it when it got out of controll aroud the time "lain" was released. That is IMO that it got out of controll, really there was just way to much on the market for me to keep track of everything anymore.

ALSO for the title of this thread you ment to put here, not hear (That would mean that I am listening).
i would echo that same sentiment.
the anime industry kinda to me went downhill for awhile.
i havent gotten back into it or anything.
although i ve gotten to see some recent fliks like
metropolis (i liked it) and spriggan.
i always been a otomo fan and really i just come out
of the woodworks when he puts out stuff.
and btw.
you guys checked out the newtype magazine?
thats very cool.
i ve gotten some of the jp ones long ago and
the us one is the same nice huge layouts with neat
posters and freebies and awsome coverage on new
stuff. expensive mag and subscription but well worth
it. my friend dropped by one day to let me check it out.

Shapermc

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
rarehero:
i would echo that same sentiment.
the anime industry kinda to me went downhill for awhile.
i havent gotten back into it or anything.
although i ve gotten to see some recent fliks like
metropolis (i liked it) and spriggan.
i always been a otomo fan and really i just come out
of the woodworks when he puts out stuff.
and btw.
you guys checked out the newtype magazine?
thats very cool.
i ve gotten some of the jp ones long ago and
the us one is the same nice huge layouts with neat
posters and freebies and awsome coverage on new
stuff. expensive mag and subscription but well worth
it. my friend dropped by one day to let me check it out.
Wow we think quite alike.
I even went as far to watch one of the worst fansbs in the world - Memories
Great movie, but the sub's were about anywhere from 3 to 5 seconds off from the actual speech.
Oh well.
Anyways the last thing that I got all hyped up about was the Akira metal box set. Besides the horrible dubbing it was pretty neat ... untill the movers dented the F'N cover in!
Yea now I am more of a casual Anime person, but my old collections would put some people to shame.

That was then...

Neon_Sonic

Setsuna's Owl Keeper
I'm a huge fan of Neon Genesis Evangelion. I even have a little website. The link is in my signature.

slerch666

updyke,
I would say that I am a huge anime fan. I own 706 DVDs, as of right now, with 75+ preordered over the next 6 months (with only one of those 75 being live action; Star Trek IV CE). Of the 706 DVDs, over 560 are Anime related.

One of my favorite series of all time is Steel Angel Kurumi. I'm not sure why, but I really enjoy this show. Even when I receive 4+ new Anime DVDs a week, I've gone back to watch this series at least 3-4 times.

Other series I really enjoyed/own (anything listed I bought before CN started ADult Swim, except Bebop, unless the first DVD came out AFTER CN started showing it. I do NOT watch AS on CN at all):

Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
Mahoromatic (from Gainax, the group behind Evangelion. I wasn't sure it would be any good at first, but once i got it and watched it... well, I've only had the disc 3 weeks and I've watched it twice so far... so what do you think?)
Evangelion
GTO
Rurouni Kenshin (last couple of discs were a little disappointing, but not as bad as people make 'em out to be)
X (TV series, I also have the movie but am enjoying the series SSSOOOO much more)
Ranma
Escaflowne
His and Her Circumstances (directed by Hideaki Anno, same director as Evangelion. Also from Studio GAINAX)
Yu Yu Hakusho
InuYasha (I HATE the fact that it's only 3 eps per DVD!)
Love Hina
Armored Trooper Votoms (old, but CLASSIC)
Generator Gawl
Vandread

If you have any questions about anything I own, I'll be glad to "talk" to you about them. Just let me know what you are interested in and I'll give you a quick review/synopsis free of spoilers.

S

SAMHAIN

i collect anime but havent bought any in awhile,mostly been buyin hk dvds..

i really luv cutey honey

urotsukidoji

fist of the north star series..

i like alot of the older stuff best

<small>[ February 19, 2003, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: SAMHAIN ]</small>

Stephane

Boss Hogg,
City hunter is really popular in france, i really like the manga and anime :)

<small>[ February 19, 2003, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Stephane ]</small>

Cnidarian

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I am a fairly big movie and animation buff, so naturally I have seen plenty of anime along with my films.

However, I tend to gravitate towards the lesser known, mainly unpopular titles. The ones I've seen are:

-The Revenge of the Ninja Warrior/Dagger of Kamui (first title I ever saw, got it in 86')
-Vampire Hunter D (first one)
-Akira (first release)
-Fist of the North Star OVA (fav pick)
-Graveyard of the Fireflies
-Ghost in the Shell
-Golgo 13:Queen Bee
-Ninja Scroll
-Roujin-Z (fav pick)
-Kite (fav pick)
-Kimera (fav pick)
-Jin-Roh (good)
-Perfect Blue (interesting)
-Twilight of the Dark Master (fav pick)
-Petshop of Horrors OVA
-Gatchaman OVA
-Wings of Honneamise (good)
-Big Wars (funny)
-Wild 7 (funny)
-Darkside Blues (weird, but cool)
-BlackJack OVA

shows:
-Cowboy Bebop
-Inachu Ping Pong Club
-Teknoman 1/Tekkaman Blade
-Vampire Princess Miyu

...and that's about all I can remember now. The next titles I'm looking to get into are JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series, Crying Freeman series, Rapeman(???), Star Blazers series, Violence Jack and some more Ping-Pong club! buttrock

If anyone has seen the titles I'm currently looking for, tell me about them, I would appreciate it! :D

<small>[ February 19, 2003, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Cnidarian ]</small>

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
I am a total anime n00b but i really enjoyed:

Akira
Street Fighter 2
Fatal Fury TMP.

Eric

Fight On!,
Anyone here see "The Cockpit" yet?

PS: Just realized that The Cockpit manga was written by the same guy who did Galaxy Express 999. Gotta love that series.

And Irresponsible Captain Tylor, good stuff.

<small>[ February 19, 2003, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Eric ]</small>

Cnidarian

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Eric:
Anyone here see "The Cockpit" yet?
Hey, thanks for reminding me, I've been meaning to see that old flick.

My brother watched it and told me it was pretty good, so I want to see for myself...

Its by Leiji Matsumoto, the artist behind Captain Harlock, I believe.

The Auction Sniper

Host for Orochi
Yes, anime is my favourite style of animation.

My first taste was back in the eary 90's when I was a kid; I watched the Robotech saga on Tv every morning before school.

My favourite animes would have to be Gunsmith Cats, BurnUp W, Ninja Scroll, Evangelion, and Urotsukidoji (very violent and fun!).

BTW - does anyone know if there was ever a film based on Parodius Da? that would be a load of fun!

I am very surprised that this thread got so few replies. I thought that members of the board would probably like anime.

I got into anime not too long ago. Before that, I used to watch anime without knowing the difference between it and every other cartoon... that was when I was a kid. I watched rather few series, I can watch more but I am picky about the stuff I watch.

I am glad that Cartoon Network started to show some decent anime lately. Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Inu Yasha, .Hack//Sign ....

I watched a few series, and my top three in order are: X TV, Kenshin, Hellsing

X TV is the greatest anime probably ever made. I just love that series so much it's not even funny. I usually download a couple of episodes online before I buy the DVDs. So one day I was looking for Trigun and I couldn't find it. This guy was serving X TV.. I thought the name sounded boring but I gave it a try. And god .. from the first episode I got hooked. If you like badass guys like Iori Yagami you better watch this. Ubber l33tn3ss.

BTW, if anyone wishes to discuss anime and give me a few advices please PM me and we can arrange a chat.

David Fallows

Sieger's Squire
Berserk is my fave anime ever. Everyone should buy this now.

I hate Evangelion, the endings are all shite.

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
I really love anime too, although I don't have as much time to watch as I used to. Whish I was still in school hehe. I used to watch a lot of it.

I like

Berzerk
el-hazard
irresponsible captain tylor
kenshin
lain
boogiepop phantom
ranma
bubblegum crisis
bebop

and so many more...

series that are being aired now and in my opinion are quite nice is Mahou (don't know the full name) and Ghost in the Shell tv series.

But first: get some classics like the ones mentioned above

td741

, NOTE: Please add 16 points to his feedback., --
I grew up on lots of old anime translated into French when I was younger. We had (French titles) Ulysses 31, Goldorak (Grandizer), Albator (Captain Harlock), Capitaine Flamme, Candy, Remi, etc.

Then Robotech came out on English TV and that was generally a big introduction to the Macross series. wink

And eventually I was introduced to Akira, Bubblegum Crisis and Project A-ko.

I'm having problems really getting into the more recent anime. There's this big gap between the original: Bubblegum Crisis, Project A-Ko, Pat Labor, Record of Lodoss Wars, Kimagure Orange Road, Macross, Vampire Princess Miyu, 3x3 Eyes, etc.

I'm probably just jaded and feel like everything just isn't as good as it was or should be. wink

The remake of Bubblegum Crisis was a little interesting but it completly lost my interest at the ending. (DVD Volume 4 I think.)

So far, the latest series that has my interest is "Key: The Metal Idol".

With that said, people are re-releasing many of my fav series on DVD so I'll probably be purchasing them instead of anything new. wink

2DRevolution

Quiz Detective
leGionellz:
I really love anime too, although I don't have as much time to watch as I used to. Whish I was still in school hehe. I used to watch a lot of it.

I like

Berzerk
el-hazard
irresponsible captain tylor
kenshin
lain
boogiepop phantom
ranma
bubblegum crisis
bebop

and so many more...

series that are being aired now and in my opinion are quite nice is Mahou (don't know the full name) and Ghost in the Shell tv series.

But first: get some classics like the ones mentioned above
Oh yeah I did forget to mention that I love Captain Tylor as well thanks for reminding me.

Frame Gride

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I ambolutely love anime and ive got a ton of favs i just wish i could get them all on dvd..

Spirited Away(Mizayaki is a fucking genius)
Princess Mononoke
Akira
Cowboy Bebop(own the series on dvd)
Outlaw Star
Love Hina
Innuyasha
Yu Yu Hashuko
Lupin the 3rd
.hack/sign
Berserk
Record of Lodoss War

I gotta watch:
trigun
Gto

toy_brain

Amano's Drinking Buddy
Another anime fan here, and a fan of City hunter (Got all the VHS taps that ADV made - all Dubs, which is fine as I'm a fan of decent dubs (note the word DECENT))

Currently watching/collecting:
Blue gender - its about halfway through its release in the UK, though I'm tempted to buy the R1 DVD's, I figure its best to support the UK anime scene. Everything else in my list in imported from america.
Dai-Guard - Fun stuff, fairly lighthearted and also inventive. Only shame is that the enemy is a bit faceless.
Excel Saga - Nuff said really.
Berserk - Love the out-takes, especially on disk 4 when Gut's VA launches into a hilarious Arnie piss-take.
Hyper Police - I was amazed that it wasn't as shit as I thought it would be. Even has a decent dub track. Good fun, if a litte more bizzare than it should be.
Burn-Up Excess - Funny as hell just a shame it got all serious in the last 2 episodes. Ahh well.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
What the hell?

I don't see anyone listing Slayers...

Buy them.

Now.

edit: test

<small>[ February 20, 2003, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Average Joe ]</small>

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
I'm a big fan of Yu YU Hakusho and Vampire HUnter D. I also enjoy watching Gundam Wing, Voltron, the Project A-ko series, the Iria-Zeram(sp?) series, Roujin-Z, and Dragon Ball. buttrock