Does anyone have a Quattron TV?

TerryMasters

Galford's Armourer
Seems like half the people who know about these TVs cry gimmick, and the other half think they're the best thing ever.

Technically, no there is no RGBY input source that would take advantage of the new yellow pixels. However, an RGB signal can produce yellows (how does your TV do it right now, etc) and as such these TVs should send that yellow to the new pixel resulting in a better quality yellow. On top of that, someone had mentioned because of the tighter pixel space, 1080p resolutions actually look better/finer where previously there were only 6 million pixels, now there are 8 (don't quote me on that).

So I was curious if anyone here had one. YouTube videos are pretty worthless for something like this it would seem, when you take into account that you probably can't see the difference when viewing a comparison through an RGB monitor. There are ten thousand uploads showing everyone the how awesome their new TV looks and we all sit here looking at them like they're retarded because we can't see a damn thing. At least that's my experience.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I think they couldve made a better impression if they didn't use that asian guy from Star Trek the original series.

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
I think they couldve made a better impression if they didn't use that asian guy from Star Trek the original series.

Wha?
This is the only reason why these tvs are memorable (Star Trek always sucked though).

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Coming out was the best career decision Takei ever made.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
sulu.jpg

priceless

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
There's no reason whatsoever to add this extra colour. It does nothing to help make better picture quality.

At best, it doesn't make a difference. At worst, it just fucks up the PQ even more than what you normally get with a random LCD TV.

Obviously, the thing about extra pixels is a crock. The resolution is still 1080p.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Seems like half the people who know about these TVs cry gimmick, and the other half think they're the best thing ever.
Technically, no there is no RGBY input source that would take advantage of the new yellow pixels. However, an RGB signal can produce yellows (how does your TV do it right now, etc) and as such these TVs should send that yellow to the new pixel resulting in a better quality yellow. On top of that, someone had mentioned because of the tighter pixel space, 1080p resolutions actually look better/finer where previously there were only 6 million pixels, now there are 8 (don't quote me on that).
So I was curious if anyone here had one. YouTube videos are pretty worthless for something like this it would seem, when you take into account that you probably can't see the difference when viewing a comparison through an RGB monitor. There are ten thousand uploads showing everyone the how awesome their new TV looks and we all sit here looking at them like they're retarded because we can't see a damn thing. At least that's my experience.
If you had an RGB signal (and converted that to RGBY) it might look better than if you just used a component cable. But that would be pointless if your tv had an RGB input anyway. If you had a native RGBY source then it would theoretically look better than RGB.
How do these tv's work?- even a component signal is red,green,blue, color difference- so it would have to convert the red,gree,blue of the component to RGBY to display it on the screen. With any conversion there's always the chance of quality loss.
To me it seems like the most obvious gimmick ever. As far as I know there are no commercial cameras that record in four colors. The whole video/tv/computer industry has always been geared to red,green,blue. The reason for that is that red, green and blue are the primary colours that human eyes are most sensitive to. So if you have those three, you don't really need to have the other colors to get a good image.

Last edited:

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Obviously, the thing about extra pixels is a crock. The resolution is still 1080p.
If you're doing sub-pixel smoothing on your fonts, you get 33% more subpixels.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
There's no reason whatsoever to add this extra colour. It does nothing to help make better picture quality.

At best, it doesn't make a difference. At worst, it just fucks up the PQ even more than what you normally get with a random LCD TV.

We need true CMYK televisions and sources.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Hey loved him in Star Trek, he always made me laugh.

That commercial was brilliant, Asian=Yellow, how could you not make that connection?

Hahaha