Dodonpachi FPGA core released on MiSTer!

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
If you have a MiSTer, just use the update all script, and you got it.

Have fun.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Excited to have this finally out there. Hopefully we can now get some real PCB vs. FPGA comparisons and see how accurate the slowdown and timings really are, although I'm pretty sure nobody with a genuine PCB is going to bother/is willing to do that comparison heh. I'd love for someone to test accuracy by recording inputs and feeding both to an arcade PCB and the Mister at the same time, or maybe I should get off my ass and try to do it with an Arduino myself :D

Also means we might get the other early Cave games sooner rather than later, like ESP.Ra.De and Dangun Feveron.

Xavier

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
20 Year Member
I got a base Denano a few months ago, I had a USB hub laying and and ran it for awhile.
The hub has 4 usb connectors on it so far I haven't had to power it either.
On it I run 2 SNES I-buffalos and a small wireless keyboard I also had around.
I've also gotten a blutooth/wifi dongle to work with it. Considering using my wireless 8-bitdo controller on it but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Actually a bunch of the cores run without any ram.

Then I got the ram upgrade.

I did an upgrade a few weeks ago and now there's tons of arcade cores on it. All the CPS 1&1.5 and a bunch of newer arcade cores as well.

Now is a good time to get one IMO because everything is now readily available for it. I strongly dislike buying some of these things online and you have to wait months to never to get some parts/stuff for them.

Just like I did you can start out small and keep upgrading as you like. HDMI plays damned near aspect and pixel perfect out of the box. If not there's tons of filters you can mess around with.

Loading times in almost all cases is damned near instantaneous.

Anyways, I'm all in.

Just order a standard I/O to try and get some RGB & analog audio goodness out of it.

I think in many ways it's easier to set up than a Raspberry PI. Once you get it up and running just go to update all scripts when plugged into the net. For a bunch of these arcade cores after you do that the games download automatically and show up in your list. Only thing is in general there can be poor documentation on updates. Say a core is updated with new features or a control scheme, you might have to go to the cores gethub page and sometimes it may still not be updated there in the readme file. You may have to find the info on the main mister page or some other news site or just figure it out on your own.

Also what new info can be poor.

Wish it supported chd files for Sega CD and Turbo Cd. That's what I'm going to myself. Had some crashes with turbo Cd files, long wait times.

I hope they make a IGM PGS core that'll be another 30 games or whatever and they can run like ass on a bunch on non PC emulators.

I'm sure CPS2 isn't far away.

I haven't tried it yet but I'm hoping for some good things for the Sharp X68000 soon.

Is it better than a PI? I dunno maybe. Some of these cores run amazingly, in some aspects better than the original systems. There's less systems though and less features, say like instant save or rewind. Most console cores have an amazing game genie like feature with an expansive database.

GUI doesn't look as fancy either.

Last edited:

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Dangun is supposed to be the next game he is making. Donpachi after that.

Nice! I saw some tweets of his talking about Toaplan 1 so I assumed he was taking a break from Cave, but it'll be good to get those low hanging fruits out first

Edit: Lmao opt beat me to it, but yeah it's exciting how far the MisTer has progressed, the CPS cores are amazing and I genuinely can't tell the difference between the Neo Geo core and my 4 slot besides some color palette differences, which might just be my config to be honest

Last edited:

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Very cool to see some love for Cave 68000 hardware on a modern solution. Thanks for the share.