Do you collect AES carts?

Sniperboy

n00b
Before anything I'm going to apologize for being a newbie. :D

I owned my first Gold Neo Geo US AES cart system back in 1996, upon graduating from college and moving on with my life I owned a few carts.. notably the USA versions of KOF 95-00, and snobbishly ignored the PS2 ports etc... I kept them in near mint to mint condition basically because these were real big carts that were hard to throw around, and lose like CDs. Also they were hard to beat up. Even when plastered at nights ;) it was hard to miss that slot esp when the games cost me 200-300 a pop. :D

To me, back then and now, as long as a cart works and is not cracked up and is reasonably priced, I thought it was a good deal. Its all about the game working and the joysticks not sticking anyways :) . NOT seeing this phenomena in more production based systems like the PS2 or Xbox (hell comic books now) really intrigues me.

I unfortunately sold all of my collection and am recently getting back into it (midlife crisis? :rolleyes: ). Cruising the forums now I get the impression that USA carts are more expensive than JP carts because of their rarity - which leads me to believe that people actually COLLECT these carts religiously... some people even go as far as collecting BOTH JP and USA versions. (I never bought the JP carts cause i thoght it would not play on my system)
:spock:

...anyways my question is.. does it really make a big deal if there are insertion marks to a cart as long as it works and is not cracked? - and also is there actually a better value in USA carts as far as secondary market collectibility?

I don't plan to collect carts, and I can meagerly read the Japanese instructions or just get the english faqs of the net... So JP gams are Ok with me.

Again sorry if I sound like a troll, it is not my intention. I tried to do some searches on the subjct matter and if you guys can lead me to come good reading material or search strings, I apprecaite it. I've gotten the bad habit of collecintg guns and knives, watches and pens in the past few years and I know in those areas the whole "never used, never carried, never fired." is such a BIG deal for the secondary market... I just wanted to know if the same applies here (I guess it does)

Thanks for taking the time to read my post...

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
No, I collect pennies I see on the ground.

It's pretty obvious a lot people here collect homecarts you know :oh_no:

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Okay things to consider in JPN Carts vs. ENG Carts
1) Artwork.

THATS IT! I personally work it like this, I collected all my Samurai Spirits and KOFs as JPN, my Metal Slugs in ENG (I started with ENG 3), the rest pre-SNKP is JPN when SNKP came in and I became aware of the Neo Store, I buy ENG. Even though KOF01-03 is SNKP I still got JPN or plan to go JPN (missing KOF02/03).

The insterstion marks, well those really only seem to concern the most HARDCORE or hardcore collectors. Marks that you can barely see unless under the proper lighting conditions does not bother me a bit. Of course though it does bother some to effect the prices and prices a less for "marked used" carts VS "unmarked new" carts. Some people, for reasons I can't understand, buy TWO copies or THREE copies, 2 JPN, 1 ENG, 1 JPN for play. I just buy one copy, play it, and take extreme care of all my little homecart babies :D

Extreme hardcore collecting I guess has its pros, but for me it has alot more cons. If I buy a homecart, I'm gonna play it, even if it did cost my $500. I paid $500 for that cart for 1) a piece of history and 2) my arcade prefection snob factor :p

Game on my fellow NEO GEO brethen :buttrock:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Sniperboy said:
...anyways my question is.. does it really make a big deal if there are insertion marks to a cart as long as it works and is not cracked?

Not to me, but there are collectors out there who will keep buying copies of a game until they find one that's fits their definition of "mint", which may mean being totally free of any markings on the cart.

Sniperboy said:
- and also is there actually a better value in USA carts as far as secondary market collectibility?

Definitely.

I used to be sort of into AES collecting, but I'm sort of taking a breather at the moment, and am concentrating more on MVS. I'm not really thinking about selling my AES though, and may get back into AES collecting in the future. AES collecting can be VERY expensive, so I had to back off for a little while, being a student and all.

Sniperboy

n00b
Respectfully speaking.. my question was made in honest interest, and not sarcasm. Thank you for the patient replies. I appreciate it, being in other fourms it can be frustrating dealing with a newbie...

Collecting the things I do, I can definitely see the multiple purchases.. one for the safe and one production beater for use... I was sincerely interested in seeing the collectable aspect of NG carts, this is something I have not seen in other more widespread production systems.

I thought the only difference between J and USA was the language in the manuals and freebies.. if the artwork is different then I will definitely look into that.

Thank you for the patience.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
xtoo_short20x said:
No, I collect pennies I see on the ground.

It's pretty obvious a lot people here collect homecarts you know :oh_no:

Jorge, you know, it's not answering THIS HARSH to an WELL EDUCATED newbie will make you look cool or badass. :shame:

Cut the crap out, and if you consider yourself as 'an expert' try to be useful to a person KINDLY ASKING for information. :annoyed:

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Good lord... you can collect these things????

No, diddley diddley No No.

Last edited:

CHRiZ-77

Gal Ageise's Demon
AES = Advanced Entertainment System

aka

NGH = Neo-Geo Home

==

MVS = Multi Video System (Neo-Geo Arcarde) :rolleyes:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Sniperboy said:
Before anything I'm going to apologize for being a newbie. :D

Hi mr Newbie! :)

I see you're way better behaved than a lot of veterans here, thus you're mostly welcome to begin with.

That being said, please bare with my terrible English, for me being Italian and just crappy skilled in English... :crying:

As for collecting issues, I think it's all about one's mind. To each his own.

Generally, you come to collect NeoGeo cause you loved and love to play it. This is frankly natural. Anyone collecting NeoGeo just for that being pricy and rare is just a poser not even deserving to own the thing IMHO.

So, gaming item you love to play may become collecting item you love to own.

It's like a mind passage.

Once yuo've got stuck with this, you have to deal with issues like the minimal condition of the items those possiesion you've incosciously entitled to give you pleasure, delight.

It's like and inward eye always watching at them.

But than again, this is also a mental field of 'to each his own'.

Thus, you may be satisfaid simply with a complete and uncracked cart, I may loose my sleep for a small tear in an insert.

No one is right, no one si wrong. It's just about each own mind.

Well, possibly in that example, you're on the lucky side and I'm on the 'fucked-up' side, eheh!

I hope you will stay around and enjoy NeoGeo as we did and still do... well at least as SOME OF US did and still do.

As for the JPN/US issue, and interesting discussion is going wild here.

Well, you will find a lot of drama there... be sure not to miss it!

Teh drama is our greatest speciality here! ;)

Last edited:

Zayon

NEST Puppet
Shito said:
I may loose my sleep for a small tear in an insert.

I hear you, I just noticed a tiny tear in the insert on my Blazing Star that wasn't there when I bought the game. It's not really a big deal, but it's annoying as hell! I just can't figure out when it happened and I get the feeling that my games just rot away even though they usually just stand in a shelf, lol.

Ah well, I dont have any plans to sell most of them in the near future and even though the tear probably lowered the value with a few $ it's still a mighty fine copy of an awesome game. :cool:

Gazado

Overtop Pathfinder
Hi,
Im new to owning an AES but not new to following the NeoGeo as a whole :)

Ive got an AES with SamSpirits 1 & 2, also KoF 94 & 98. Im only planning on getting games that I know I will play and have the time to enjoy. Eventually Im going to get an MVS setup for some of the more expensive games. I dont mind payming more for the nice boxes, inserts ect... aslong as the price is reasonable (again, everyone has their own idea of 'reasonable'). Any game that is over $200 that I really 'MUST' get, I'll reserve for the MVS. (metal slug anyway? lol )

Welcome to the forums (should I say welcome when Im so damn new myself lol ;) )

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
well, I kinda started to and I will never sell the 6-7 AES carts I have...but I am more into mvs neo stuff and as long as it's original and works in my cab...I am happy now. I haven't played my aes in months. But I played my mvs cab today.

thelastbogard

New Challenger
I buy to play but i treat them like everything else i collect. cds, dvds, all other video games, and action figures.