Disc Rot

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
A sufficiently short defect will be reliably covered by the error-correcting codes in the system. For CD, you're nominally fine losing up to 2.5mm. I haven't looked into DVD/BD, but they're probably better.

I would think they would be worse actually, since they have much more data packed in and therefore have much smaller pits and lands.

DVD's are especially prone to skipping, and I'm sure this is why. Never had a problem with bluray's but that's most likely due to them being manufactured much more solidly, and with scratch resistant coating.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I would think they would be worse actually, since they have much more data packed in and therefore have much smaller pits and lands.

I'm having trouble getting at the actual papers right now. A quick search says that the error-correcting codes used on DVD can correct burst errors about 5x longer than the CD-DA CIRC coding. That would just about balance out the higher density.

(Though if we're talking about Mode-1 CD-ROM sectors, they also have a block-based code applied on top of the cross-interleaved codes. I don't know exactly how that affects error-correction performance - most of the references I've got pre-date CD-ROM.)

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Only CD game I've had go bad on me was the PAL release of Rez for Dreamcast. That game is notorious for bit rot, though.

Oddly enough, the save file I've had since 2007 still works for the JP version.

Jon

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
All creature will die and all the things will be broken.