Did you ever get fired?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I'm sure this thread has been done before, but if it was ten years ago there could be 3, maybe 4 new members since then, so we'll do it again.

I got fired twice, once as a 15 year old for refusing to clean oil stains on a car park with a shovel, and once for whistleblowing on a marketing director who asked me to manipulate the figures on the results of his TV ad campaign, for a company that went bust less than a year later.

Shoot.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
burning fight was just regular fight before he got fired

No, I've never been fired.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I guess I got fired from a job once where I did even less than moe for about six months except occasionally send out some architect plans for subs to bid and make bank runs for the lady in charge of the office.

A few months after that I was visited by an attorney, guess she was misusing money, so the owner was suing her or something.

Weird job. I was not sad to have to go find something to actually do.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I guess I got fired from a job once where I did even less than moe for about six months except occasionally send out some architect plans for subs to bid and make bank runs for the lady in charge of the office.

A few months after that I was visited by an attorney, guess she was misusing money, so the owner was suing her or something.

Weird job. I was not sad to have to go find something to actually do.
boredom vs stress at work is the finest of balances

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I got fired from being a bank teller when I was in college because I refused to try to upsell people services they didn't need. So I just didn't.

Been laid off a couple more times but those weren't for cause... one company was on the verge of going under after the market took a shit in '08 and had to severely cut staff (it was out of business six months later). The other was an Electronics Boutique in a mall that I worked at in college that shut down without warning. Walked in to work one day and the gates were closed and the regional/district manager was boxing shit up to send elsewhere. Gotta love retail.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
The only time I was fired from a job was when I was a teenager; I got fired from a breakfast restaurant 😆

Everyone there smoked weed except some new cook from Texas. Weed wasn't legal yet, and I didn't know that the new cook was a narc. One day on break I gave a different cook that I was friends with a joint. I came in the next morning to be pulled into the office and fired by a lady who definitely blazed and did coke. I think she actually felt bad that the owners were making her fire me, but whatever. Do the crime do the time... She wouldn't tell me who narked, but the guy I gave the doob to found me skateboarding one day some odd years later and pulled over to tell me who got us fired 😆 🤣

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Maybe I've been fired. I was told to work a day I was originally scheduled off. They said work or you're fired and I didn't show up. I was 16 so fuck it.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I got fired from a British Gas call center for taking too many shit breaks and not enough calls. The job sucked so I walked out of there like...nic-cage-smiling.gif

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
I was fired from Golfland back in '89 when I caught another employee stealing and confronted him about it. The GM really never liked me a whole lot so his excuse was if I was doing my job properly, I would've have been in a position to catch the person in the act and that I had an attitude problem. Because every employee that worked there at the time liked and respected me, I was also banned for life from Golfland...until a couple of months afterward when the GM was fired and the owner not only let me return, he offered me my job back. Kindly said no thanks since I moved on to better things and greener pastures.

In what seem to be normal pace for the arcade industry during the 80's, I lost my job a total of 10 times, pretty much all from game rooms that closed up where I was working, a couple of them I had gone to work only to find the doors locked and the locks changed.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Laid off yes, fired nope.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
it was a truck with a forklift in it.
Our truck was way too much of a piece of shit. A forklift would've fallen right through the rotten floor boards. Hell, a pallet full of empty glass bottles on a jack put a hole through the floor of it one time.

I never drove anything into a river and haven't been in any sort of car crash in over 10 years. Also never been fired.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Laid off yes,
That has almost happened to me twice, but both times I quit first. One company closed completely, the other did layoffs. I don't regret leaving either place though, any severance I might have eventually gotten wasn't worth the BS.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I've only received severance pay once, three months worth, when a small media company was bought out by a larger one.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Yeah. Once my dad fired me from my first job as a yardguy at the VFW he worked at when i was like 15 lol.

As far as real occupations go, yeah. I had just gotten married, and got hired at this place that made hollow metal doors in the engineering department (as data entry, not an engineer. I not smRt enuf to do engineering). It was run by a bunch of Mexican dudes and they fired me because they thought I was white.

To be clear - I may be a Mexican badass, but I look like a white pudgy zeta. I took it up with the local Workforce commission but nothing ever came of it. Sucks too, I had quit my then-job at Walmart making a bangin' $5.88 an hour to work at this place.

For $6.00 an hour. Worked two weeks, canned.