Denver Do's and Don'ts

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Since stage has probably gotten all of his useful info for Boston tricks by now and I know we have a few Coloradicals on the forum, I need a few suggestions for a Denver-Fort Collins trip in early fall.

Quick weekend for brother's bachelor party. Should be a group of 8. I have been a few times but still could use a few suggestions.

Just as a heads up, I don't smoke, and most of the group will be engineers who have the chance to get tested so I doubt we'll have anyone interested.

Day 1

-arrive
-wander 16th street mall for lunch
-insert something to do here (Denver Mint?)
-Rockies game at Coors Field, is near section 120 the best for a view of the mountains and ballgame?
-drinks before or after or both at Sandlot

Day 2
-pick up rental car
-short hike, 3-5 miles, something that will take 2-3 hours, something to see at the end, something in between Denver and FoCo is preferred. Anything?
-New Belgium Brewing tour
-back to Denver for a nice restaurant, doesn't need to be fine dining, just really fucking good.

Day 3
-depends on when people leave town, but likely the morning will be free, I have no real ideas right now, but would be good to just have a few suggestions ready for the group. Sightseeing or activities.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
-Coors Field doesn't have any bad seats as far as view of the game is concerned. If you want to look at the mountains, 120 might be too low. It's in a good spot as far as which direction you face but if you're too close to the field you probably won't be able to see the mountains. The left field stands and concourse could block your view:
Colorado-Rockies-Section-120.jpg

-The mint isn't that interesting. Go check out the barcade instead. There's a bar called the 1up within easy walking distance of Coors Field.

-Go see Red Rocks for your hike. Not necessarily on the way to Fort Collins from Denver but not too far out of the way either.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Rocks_Amphitheatre

The Amphitheatre is in a pretty big and beautiful park so there's a lot to see.

-Elitch Gardens is a pretty good amusement park if you have time to kill. Not super cheap but they have some awesome roller coasters and a water park

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I'd suggest
-Leaving a turkey on someones front porch.
-Visiting the Starbucks that Beff squatted at.
-Stop off for a cheesesteak with a stripper going commando.

Marek

Banned
I would suggest wandering around upper Colfax, near where the legendary fillmore and Ogden theaters are. I love that part of town.

The area around coors field is pretty bad ass too. lots of fun bars, rooftop bars, the grassroots hat store, etc.

Also if you've never seen red rocks ampetheater. It's worth it just to see how cool that shit is, if you find yourself driving out towards golden for se reason.

Marek

Banned
Also, drugs. The drugs are strong and high quality thanks to all the weed cash floating around. Definitely do lots of drugs.

Edit : the 1up barcade on Colfax is a let down. Best thing there is skiball and pinball as I recall it. Maybe Simpsons arcade. No fighting games, no neo, stupid.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Also, drugs. The drugs are strong and high quality thanks to all the weed cash floating around. Definitely do lots of drugs.

Edit : the 1up barcade on Colfax is a let down. Best thing there is skiball and pinball as I recall it. Maybe Simpsons arcade. No fighting games, no neo, stupid.

The one on Colfax is significantly smaller and more run down than the one near Coors Field.

They're mostly 1980s themed though. So stuff like Pac-Man, Galaga, Joust, Defender, Missile Command, Frogger, Xevious, Asteroids, Donkey Kong, etc.

If you want an arcade in the Denver area with a Neo Geo and a better selection of 90s games, go to Hyperspace.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I would suggest wandering around upper Colfax, near where the legendary fillmore and Ogden theaters are. I love that part of town.

The Fillmore is great but the Odgen is a fucking hole. No AC. It gets to like 115 degrees in there in the summer.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Don't leave your taters unattended in your rental car.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member

The area around coors field is pretty bad ass too. lots of fun bars, rooftop bars, the grassroots hat store, etc.

Also if you've never seen red rocks ampetheater. It's worth it just to see how cool that shit is, if you find yourself driving out towards golden for se reason.

I was real excited and then almost immediately bummed when I saw that OCMS is playing red rocks in September but it isn't on a weekend when the Rockies were in town.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I would recommend skipping 16th Street Mall. Lately, there have been a bunch of fucks looking for fights. Cops busted up some this weekend, but not before it got out of hand.

Boulder is cool to visit, especially Pearl Street. Also, there is a GAME FORCE in Boulder if you want to check that out.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Fuckin' A, Lithy. Fuckin' A.

One day I wish to visit New Belgium Brewery too. They make all the best sours.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
The Bruery makes the best sours in the US. La Folie and Le Terrior are good beers, but not the best of the best IMO. New Glarus has some good beers, their sours are decent.

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
Interesting read. We just moved to Ft Collins, and are looking for more things to do. There is a really good comic book shop in Ft Collins, the owner must know every book there is. It was great talking to him the other day. While there, Jax is a good seafood place... Better atmosphere than most I'm familiar with.

I'd love to find a great steak place near by, if anyone knows I'm all ears.

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
Game Force Boulder is not too too far from Denver, you should definitely hit it up.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Interesting read. We just moved to Ft Collins, and are looking for more things to do. There is a really good comic book shop in Ft Collins, the owner must know every book there is. It was great talking to him the other day. While there, Jax is a good seafood place... Better atmosphere than most I'm familiar with.

I'd love to find a great steak place near by, if anyone knows I'm all ears.

I lived in Ft Collins for four years, it's a dumpster town. There isn't much in the way of good food, all the bars suck too.

Lithy:

Hit Watson Lake and Lory State Parks right outside Ft Collins they don't even get crowded in summer.

Denver Biscuit company. Yes it's a bar with breakfast jams.

Take a streetart tour with Beff. :keke:

Manitou is nice. Hour south of Denver.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I lived in Ft Collins for four years, it's a dumpster town. There isn't much in the way of good food, all the bars suck too.

Lithy:

Hit Watson Lake and Lory State Parks right outside Ft Collins they don't even get crowded in summer.

Denver Biscuit company. Yes it's a bar with breakfast jams.

Take a streetart tour with Beff. :keke:

Manitou is nice. Hour south of Denver.

A few months ago I had a truly amazing meal at Root Down in Denver. We ended up there after finding out Casa Bonitas was closed due to the Super Bowl. Yeah, yeah, I get it, Denver, it's a big deal, but ALMOST EVERY FREAKING RESTAURANT WAS CLOSED!

Root Down was open, though, and incredible. I'm sure our butts were a lot cleaner the next morning too, though I did miss the gorilla suits and cliff diving, for sure.

I love Denver. I go there yearly, and down to the Springs for a workshop every winter. If you're going to be around Colorado Springs, let me know, as I could direct you to dozens of great eats and cool bars :) Then again, if you're in the Springs, you probably took a wrong turn heading to some place cooler, so... Yeah.

famicommander

15 Year Member
A few months ago I had a truly amazing meal at Root Down in Denver. We ended up there after finding out Casa Bonitas was closed due to the Super Bowl. Yeah, yeah, I get it, Denver, it's a big deal, but ALMOST EVERY FREAKING RESTAURANT WAS CLOSED!

Over 1 million people showed up to the rally downtown after we won that Super Bowl... on a weekday... in the middle of the afternoon... and there are only about 650,000 people in Denver proper, about 5 million in the whole state.

"Big deal" is an understatement. The Broncos have sold out overy game since 1970, even when they were ridiculously awful.

You're lucky you found anywhere at all to eat that wasn't a sports bar.