damn Dot Hacker is a great fucking band

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I was expecting some half arsed shit from current RHCP guitarist only to discover something beautiful.
can see why the dude played with Frusciante in the early 2000s, there's a preocupation with soundscapes in the same way. though Dot Hacker seems to be circling Mansun more imo.
ages since a rock album grabbed me this way.

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
not my kind of music, but i do like what josh is doing with the big red. by the sounds of the new rhcp album, he's replaced frusciante pretty well.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
not my kind of music, but i do like what josh is doing with the big red. by the sounds of the new rhcp album, he's replaced frusciante pretty well.
he seems to have come into his own, agreed. I think all three guitarists done themselves justice with the band. Navarro may be a little forgotten but he layed it down very nicely.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
he seems to have come into his own, agreed. I think all three guitarists done themselves justice with the band. Navarro may be a little forgotten but he layed it down very nicely.

Not to sound like an ass. But, RHCP has had four guitarists (I'm not counting the dude(s) who filled in on tour). You NEED to give respect to their original guitarist, Hillel Slovak who had a lot to do with their sound and formation.

Also checking out Frusciante's solo works is worth doing. Some of his albums are pretty hard to listen to (like his first two albums). But albums like "To Record Only Water for Ten Days", or "Curtains", are great albums.

Jack Irons (original RHCP drummer) work with the band Eleven is pretty cool too. Check them out if you've never heard them before. Alain Johannes has some really good vocals in that band, and his guitar playing is superb. Johannes was in a band with Slovak, Flea, and Irons before RHCP was formed. Since then Johannes has done a lot of production and studio work with QOTSA, Chris Cornell....

PS: Never really checked out any Dot Hacker stuff before. Listening to "Inhibition" right now on Youtube, pretty cool stuff. Thanks for the heads up. Always looking for more GOOD music to get into.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Not to sound like an ass. But, RHCP has had four guitarists (I'm not counting the dude(s) who filled in on tour). You NEED to give respect to their original guitarist, Hillel Slovak who had a lot to do with their sound and formation.

Also checking out Frusciante's solo works is worth doing. Some of his albums are pretty hard to listen to (like his first two albums). But albums like "To Record Only Water for Ten Days", or "Curtains", are great albums.

Jack Irons (original RHCP drummer) work with the band Eleven is pretty cool too. Check them out if you've never heard them before. Alain Johannes has some really good vocals in that band, and his guitar playing is superb. Johannes was in a band with Slovak, Flea, and Irons before RHCP was formed. Since then Johannes has done a lot of production and studio work with QOTSA, Chris Cornell....

PS: Never really checked out any Dot Hacker stuff before. Listening to "Inhibition" right now on Youtube, pretty cool stuff. Thanks for the heads up. Always looking for more GOOD music to get into.

awesome stuff!! tah very much. I've never been a huge fan of RHCP but have always had much respect for what they do and some of their songs are amazing ofcourse.
the guitarist you mention is the one they dedicate under the bridge to?
I¡d recomend strongly you listen to Dot Hacker's subsequent album which to me is much stronger, also up on youtube. actually:

Frusciante's solo stuff is amazing. I had that Add Water album upon release.
one of the singles is directed by Vincent Gallo and both song and vid are amazing.
and as I say, Ataxia (one of Frusciante's latest offerings) is an amazingly beautifull lament all the way through.

(slightly off topic but I also love discovering new musics. became quite intoxicated of late with the likes of Chelsea Wolfe for instance, and a somewhat different vibe Tei Shi. I'm kind of all over the place but always skirting around a full moon. I'll listen to Tama Impala and follow it up with Tribulation. it works somehow)

Last edited: