Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Small triumph: I have now joined the legion of people who have cleared Deathsmiles

f3d1f241-6f07-4465-b045-d03fa49219f1_zps82afef33.jpg

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
I just got in a Dreamcast VGA cable and a mini SLG so I have been hitting it hard on my rotatable HP2035 monitor...playing Under Defeat.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I agree but I miss the record initials screen music from both the PCB and the PS2 port. It was super sweet and I loved the look of it too, a small price to pay for a terrific port though.
I haven't tried it, but Sonic Wings Special on saturn is similar and extremely good. Glad you are enjoying it.

I've only had time for a couple credits of Mushihimesama HD port on 360. Still one of my favorite cave titles, I much prefer it to Futari.

Deathsmiles

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Deathsmiles is not as easy a clear as some make it sound. The last stage and boss battle(s) are brutally long and not easy. Congrats on the ALL.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
ze9atymu.jpg

Game+movie, double feature.

Love the Saturn modes/extra levels.

Lots of fan service here, a labor of love.

Best Engrish death sequence in a game, since DownLoad PCE.

"GEEZUSUSU!"
py4a7aza.jpg

MrRoboto19XX

Rugal's Thug
Playing Darius Gaiden on the Saturn over the past few days. It's pretty crazy how the series made such strides with that entry, even if it is a bit on the tough side.

Some Mist

NEST Puppet
finally got my first cab which I'm enjoying immensely, and since it was originally hori I plugged in Progear. It resparked my interest in playing it again. Trying to get the 1-ALL, and getting to stage 5 with three score-based extends. The stage 4 extend is still tricky for me to pull.

also the Chicago shmupsmeet (you guys from around Chicago should go) is supposedly happening in August. I'll post the details here for anyone interested, but they'll also be on the shmups forum. I plan on trying to practice and loop Progear by then so I can at least show that at the meet. last years was awesome meeting a buncha people that play and trying out a buncha games I don't have.

also @K-2: congrats on the deathsmiles clear. I would love to own that board.

Last edited:

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I regrettably have TOO much time..... so go ahead, please :crying:

Good ports of DonPachi and Do DonPachi, Do DonPachi Dai Ou Jou, Raiden 3; Espgaluda; Ibara...
If you enjoy horizontal shmups the PS1/PS2 has some of the best titles: Einhander, R-Types & R-Type Delta, R-Type Final, In The Hunt, Thunder Force VI, Darius Gaiden, G-Darius...

The lists aren't exhaustive but cover a lot of ground!

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Busy week due to new arrivals -

Vasara 1 & 2
Dangun Feveron
Air Gallet
Gunbird 2

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I also got Dangun (Fever SOS ver) last night ,and I'm enjoying it thoroughly! I haven't played it in over 10 years, back when I was pretty n00b to cave games, but this one doesn't even feel like a cave release. For some reason I remember thinking you were supposed to collect the discomen on the WAY UP, thank goodness that's not the case.

made it to stage 4 boss once and caught the extend too at 2200 discomen. :multi_co:
Haven't tried caravan mode, but I have a feeling it'll be a riot.

Some Mist

NEST Puppet
dangun feveron is such a weird awesome cave game... the speed and style is definitely a lot more manic a la psikyo, but unique. I still can't manage to get past stage 3 but I haven't put much time into it.

played a handful of rounds of Progear today and almost 1-ALLed it.
20140504_102229.jpg
2nd phase final boss. definitely wasn't meeting the conditions for a loop.

20140504_102532.jpg
bolt/rivet

can't wait to see what happens when I get my new levers :)

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
if all goes as planned, my Fast Striker cart is waiting for me at home. So...THAT

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
6u6ypy5u.jpg

Well at least my score is going up, finally got to take a top spot on my board. Now if I can just not slop on the laser batteries on stage 5.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Gunbird 2 - DC

Esp Ra De - pcb

Vasara - pcb

Borderdown - DC - :annoyed:

Some Mist

NEST Puppet
Now if I can just not slop on the laser batteries on stage 5.
that part is the worst - I have absolutely no fun with it. I've read that DFK is an easy 1CC but I still wasn't able to get past that laser part without losing a crapload of my lives. still in my list of to-do's.

Esp Ra De - pcb

probably one of my favorite cave scoring systems. it's kind of a shame that the later installments shied away from it. I also like to think Ra.De's scoring system went on to influence Progear. they're very similar in that in progear you basically have to kill an enemy when other enemies' bullets are on top of the enemies you're killing (that was a mouthful) to get a scoring multiplier... but in ra.de. it's your own "burst" bullets that you have to switch between. so much fun.

Last edited:

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Got to the 5th stage in FeverSOS for the first time and broke 2.4 million. Apparently my PCB is overclocked so I have no slowdown LOL :help:

DeusVult

Another Striker
got sturmwind recently, so I have been playing that, so far so good and captain tomaday mvs

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Hey guys check out my Sonic Wings Limited counter stops!

sonicwingslimited.jpg

Just kidding, I think the scoreboard glitched out when I brought it to a friend's place. The game also switched to Free Play and had some button issues over there. Played it again at my place and the glitches was gone. Maybe a voltage issue or something? So weird.

My actual high score is close to 800k at the moment. :)