Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Since a buddy of mine got his hands on a Turbo Everdrive, I've been en the Hu-route for the last days. It's good to finally play a decent port of the first Darius, but the real gem is Mesopotamia. I really feel that here the innovation-benefit ratio has good traction to it. Combining elements of proactive and reactive fields of standard STG gameplay with the (un)usual pce-quirk made for a nice surprise.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Yeah there are definitely some quirky shooters on HuCard. I picked up Rabio Lepis a few weeks ago, having played Rabbit Punch arcade as a kid. It did not live up to my memories, haha.

btw if you like Darius 1, check out the PSN Arcade Archives version which is pretty much a straight arcade port including the extra wide play field.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
^Will do, thanks.

Yesterday, I beat Final Soldier on one credit with zero remaining ships. If you're stressed out by any arcade STGs out there, there's nothing better than a lovable pce exclusive to set your mood right again.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I've been playing a lot of Sonic Wings 2 using Anjera and my wall is usually the stage 8 boss. I have an idea of how I need to deal with it, but my execution needs work. So..I kind of came to the conclusion that this game might be too much for me to handle.

Well, I did a run with Silver (a ship I've never cared for in the past). I made it to stage 10 (final stage in loop) after one run. This ship is super slow but it's power clearly remedies my boss problems.

stormS

Crazed MVS Addict
Ikaruga whilst troubleshooting power on a Naomi 2. Damn thing works fine on an original Naomi.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Trying to get (relatively) unharmed past the fire-and-forget missiles of the stage 4 boss from Super Star Soldier. Probably just a matter of the right weapon...

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I tend to use green for most of the game. It's just a case of learning the pattern of the stage 4 boss and taking out the arm as quickly as possible. I stay towards the bottom of the screen to dodge his swoop/hands/rings and lead the missiles along the bottom and up the side. Once his arms are taken out he's relatively harmless (no pun intended).

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Sorcer Striker as of late, K-2 hooked me up with a PCB, small power trace fix and bam!...RAIZING!

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I stay towards the bottom of the screen to dodge his swoop/hands/rings and lead the missiles along the bottom and up the side. Once his arms are taken out he's relatively harmless (no pun intended).

Edit:

Had to edit my previous post, because, on further playing, I discovered the currently best dodging pattern:

You have to go in the opposite direction of the huge mech, so when he's on the right side and releases his f-and-f volley, you are on the left-bottom side to welcome them.

Once they target your ship and start to fly in your direction, you just move to the right side of the screen, while one missile after another misses your ship. If you reach the end of the screen, while there are still some missiles left, you continue to move up. Then you position yourself on one of the sides of this robot, in order to avoid his flying arms and repeat the whole pattern in the other direction.

My favorite weapon is RED plus Homing Missiles. With any other weapon at full power, you'll only release two missiles at one time. Fully powered RED allows you to release more. It also works flawless on diagonals, so, you just concentrate on dodging the missiles & arms of that boss, the rest is self-acting.

Last edited:

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
While I had last week off I played quite a bit of Pulstar. Holy shit that game is rough. I can't make it past stage 3. I also played Deathsmiles 2 and Salamander 2. Very close to 1ccs on both of those.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'm pretty close to a Sonic Wings 2 1-ALL.

I've almost killed the final form of the final boss twice.

Must keep going

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Oshaberi Parodius with Ran or Rupa. Homing abilities pay off. The hip-cat is great.

ran.png

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Got the Sonic Wings 2 clear (1-All) today.

Spoiler:
6s3aW5L.jpg

Yes, I got the goofy boss, but I was totally unprepared for it. I won't call this one a complete fluke.

Last edited:

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Working on Batsugun Special again. Died at the final boss. Very close to a 1cc using Beltana.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Finished Coryoon on one credit the other day. So good, so funny and so pricey. I love the parallax, how frantic it is and the overall simplicity. Between all this wild action in comes the stork, the corresponding bloat, that survives every earthquake.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Just started working through U.N. Squadron (arcade) tonight. I've made it to the boss of level 6. 1CC seems reasonable on default settings if I keep up at it.

Is Mickey the best pilot in this version? Seems like it. I've been favoring him.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
I just picked this up recently. Really enjoying it. Hard as balls. Really hate picking up the non fixed weapon, find it much harder than fixed.

One of my all time favorite games. I agree regarding the non fixed guns, most of my Outzone runs I judge by how long it takes to get the Super Ball. The quicker I get it the better the run usually.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
I've now made it up to stage 8 on 1 credit. I switched to Shin after realizing he shoots faster than Mickey. Because I'm lazy, I wish I could use external autofire for this game, but it shoots at such a ridiculous rate of fire that it's basically cheating.

Stage 1 - Easy.

Stage 2 - Easy-ish. The boss was actually one of my weakest points until tonight. I started being more patient with him when he starts firing missiles and only attack back when he's in the bottom half of the screen.

Stage 3 - Easy. I buy a super shell and beat the fortress on the 1st pass.

Stage 4 - Easy.

Stage 5 - I need to buy health + shields here. I previously was buying special weapons, but that I don't need those for the stage and firing them at the boss makes it borderline impossible to see and dodge the boss' shots.

Stage 6 - Also need to buy health + shields here. At least the boss is easy for me now.

Stage 7 - This stage is gross. I need to get a lot better at it.

Stage 8 - I managed to die here during my best run, but I've beaten it before when credit feeding without even getting hit. Not too worried about it. Stage 9 scares me though. A lot. Stage 10 scares me too, but nowhere near as much as 9 does.

Last edited: