Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

geise

Mickey's Coach
I've been trying some high score runs for Sapphire and Dragon Spirit on the pc-engine the past couple days.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
WHAT! you took it out of it's plastic seal! How could you do something like that!

i took a razor blade and carefully cut the wrap off just the spine and pulled the game out. Easy....

Got Aldynes in the SuperGrafx now.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Gave up on Radiant Silvergun for the time being as the final handful of bosses are insane. Just trying to gather pink bullets with the sword without getting hit is insanely frustrating.

Went back to playing Twinkle Star Sprites.

Last edited:

Some Mist

NEST Puppet
been working on my Battle Garegga board now that I have the zakk roms on there. 1CCing this seems like it's gonna be 10 x harder than 1-ALLing Progear, but I've been seeing tiny progress. Last weekend I was able to break the 3 mil extend and I saw stage 5 more than once but I'm stuck on the midbosses. pretty embarrassing score but w/e

20140330_173531.jpg

once my cab comes I'll be sinking a lot more time into it.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
You using Wild Snail or Golden Bat? It's the same ship, GB you select with A,B,C (he's a lot faster and smaller hitbox).

Some Mist

NEST Puppet
been using golden bat (when my fingers hit them all simultaneously at least). that top score is sadly with a golden bat run.

I can make it the furthest with him which is strange since I'd assume some of the great mahou daisakusen characters would have some crazy advantages, but I can't make it past stage 4 with any other ship... and the bonus ships are hard as hell to hit the flamingos in stage 2 with a bomb.

Last edited:

Chempop

Golden Bat isn't generally a high scoring ship but he keeps rank low. Gain's bomb is great against flamingoes, bomb the castle and then just plop 2 of them right above where they spawn. I almost always have +2mil after them flamingos with him (suiciding twice on stage 1 boss). Gain is also really good against madball (stage 2 boss) because if you land a full bomb directly centered while he's opening up you can get another +1 mil. Also, that opening bomb on stage 3 (technically right before stage 3) gets you a nice pile.
Good luck!

Some Mist

NEST Puppet
thanks for all the advice :) I'm usually at like 1.7 mil around the flamingos, and I leave stage 1 at about 300,000.

I HATE it when my chain breaks right before stage 3, because I usually try to take advantage of that pile. I'll try out Gain again as well and see if I can pull it off.

Chempop

Oh you are going good then. You don't need any advice from me, until you are getting to stage 6+7 that is ;)
Seriously though, with GB I wouldn't get more than 2 options until stage 6. You only need 2 homing options for stage 5.

Some Mist

NEST Puppet
last question - what about the main weapon powerups?
I usually pick up every single bomb fragment that I can - I skip all power ups until stage 3 when my bullets don't do damage, and even then I try to limit powering up my main attack.

also been nabbing that 1-UP on stage 4 which is probably the funnest 1-UP to crank out.

Chempop

I'm going to return to Cyvern and maybe Guwange.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Danmaku Unlimited 2 on Steam. actually really fun and challenging.

Chempop

last question - what about the main weapon powerups?

Certainly a matter of preference to a degree. Some people wait to get options a lot later in the game than I do, definitely don't go overboard with them until stage6+7 (by then I also increase my firing rate). Large shot powerups boost rank less than the few small ones to equal the same increase in shot power, so you may want to just get 1 small on stage 1 and maybe 1 big one on stage 2. Experiment. I actually skip all the bomb frags in stage 1 and even skip the flamingos using golden bat if I'm just going for the clear.

Some Mist

NEST Puppet
crazy dude... I'm gonna have to try skipping fragments and flamingos once to see how far I can get.

tried again last night but didn't make it past stage 4. I feel that if I stick with it about a month or so and get at least 1 credit in a day I'll see stage 6 + 7.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Nyu Media gave me a Steam key for RefleX so I'm remembering how to play that now. Probably the closest thing to a vertical "memorizer" as it gets.