CvS2, I just can't seem to get into it

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
I've had CvS2: EO for my XBOX for about a year now and I still can't get into it like I do with KOF. I use an arcade stick, so control is not a problem, but the game itself just feels kind of bland. I read about people's love for this game, but I just can't grip it. Any reccomendations or should I just put it the back of my mind and just focus on SF3: TS?

Last edited:

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Focus your time on third strike instead. I find it a much more rewarding game and definately a worthy title to own.

CvS2 is sadly, a steaming pile of rubbish riddled with poor control, sloppy gameplay and it never did live up to it's promises. The almost infinite possiblities that could have been make me sad when I played the end product.

Freelancer

Banned
Big Shady said:
I've had CvS2: EO for my XBOX for about a year now and I still can't get into it like I do with KOF. I use an arcade, so control is not a problem, but the game itself just feels kind of bland. I read about people's love for this game, but I just can't grip it. Any reccomendations or should I just put it the back of my mind and just focus on SF3: TS?

You're not the only one. The CVS games were really just novelties for the Capcom-devoted. It plays OK at first, but eventually it just feels all bland and you quickly lose interest in it.

SVC is a far better game than any of the cvs series.

Freelancer

Banned
buttasuperb said:
FACT: This is one the stupidest posts ever.

The hell it is.
The amount of time I've spent playing SVC greatly exceeds the time I've spent on the CVS series.
CVS is crap. Pure and simple.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
I have had alot more fun playing SvCC on my AES then CvS2 on my XBOX. SvC is not nearly as balanced as CvS2 and not worth competitive play, but I just love it. Maybe its because I'm an SNK fanboy.

I love my SFIII: TS on my DC. I've had it since release in 2000. Combine that with the Agetec DC stick, I'm in heaven :)

I also have MotW on DC, but I think I'm gonna finally hunt down a JPN AES copy.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Vs competition is where CvS2 shines, and SvC falls flat on it's face. The Grooves in CvS2 really make it a game worth playing, as each groove brings something new to the table and is competition-worthy (except for maybe S). Learn each groove through and through and you'll see why a lot of people like it.

Fact - Freelancer posted the biggest pile of garbage I've ever seen one person post in such a short space.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Likewise? I contributed information as to why people like the game. All you did was give a bland, generic response that could be applied to anything. Did you drink a big bucket of stupid before you came into this thread?

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
CVS2 is so bad ass because you can take a previous play style to it with grace and grooves.
Guile for example.

Gotta love Guile, either love him or MURDER SLICE, most likely followed by a side dish of MURDER KILL.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Freelancer said:
Likewise.
CVS = novelty for Capcom fanboys. That is all. :cool:

BTW man, wes and myself are into both schools of the fighter, neither of us has any bias based on company, we just absorb the good games. I wish people were open minded like this, but whatever.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
CvS2 is miles ahead of SvC as far as a fun competative fighter, doubly so if you're playing on Live.

CvS2 has it's problems but so does every other game.

Now that SF3:TS is out I haven't touched CvS2 in a long while and it'll probably stay that way for a while as SF3:TS is my favorite fighter ever.

Still CvS2 offers an incredible amount of gameplay options and is definitely up there as one of my favorite Capcom fighters. There is a reason it's still played in Tournaments in both the US and Japan to this day. There's also a reason SvC gets no representation tournament wise anywhere.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Had it not been for the arrival of my SSVS MVS cart and recent purchase of Tekken 5, I'd probably still be playing SvC Chaos. Don't know why, but I've been compelled to play it recently...

Didn't get much playtime with CvS 2 since it always seemed to freeze my DC while I tried playing it. From the few times I was able to actaully play the thing from start to finish, I prefer the original over CvS 2.

Just don't like how many of the SNK characters (And even some Cacpcom ones...) were handled in these games.

Don't give a crap about competition play, so that might have been a deciding factor...

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
This is going to sound stupid and trivial, but my enjoyment of CVS2 jumped about a million percent when I realized I could turn the background music off in the options menu.

I know it's lame that such a superficial element could have such an effect, but it really did. That 'circus music on mushrooms' would really grate on my nerves after about 4 seconds, and was killing my enjoyment. There are a couple good tunes, but it was worth it to lose them in order to avoid the rest.

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
SouthtownKid said:
This is going to sound stupid and trivial, but my enjoyment of CVS2 jumped about a million percent when I realized I could turn the background music off in the options menu.

I know it's lame that such a superficial element could have such an effect, but it really did. That 'circus music on mushrooms' would really grate on my nerves after about 4 seconds, and was killing my enjoyment. There are a couple good tunes, but it was worth it to lose them in order to avoid the rest.

"i wanna take you for a ride" mvc2
and
"this is true love makin'" cvs2

worst two soundtracks of any fighting game in the last 10 years

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:

Nothing wrong with that, every single element adds to the replay. This is the reason 2001 is one of the most hated KOF's, I got used to the horrid ambience and got alot out of that games gp.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
kafuin_gaira said:
"i wanna take you for a ride" mvc2
and
"this is true love makin'" cvs2

worst two soundtracks of any fighting game in the last 10 years
Agreed and there has been some pretty bad stinkers out there. KOF01 soundtrack anyone :p

I'll fire up my XBOX and give it a whirl again. The SNK characters seem very handicapped, save Kim and Iori.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
P - Kyo is a great groove for Kyo. He has a great hop so he can crossup people on the ground. His standing HK is beyond ridiculous. It comes out fast, punishes low attacks, has good priority, and can even link his level 3 Serpent Wave off of it. Kyo is all about playing footsies and spacing with standing HK, and when you're able to get inside, being able to connect his Wicked Chew combo off of his multitude of low jabs and medium. His jumping lk is a good crossup, as well.

On Xbox, P Kyo is good because of the ability to parry and super cancel. When you're constantly landing his standing HK on people, they tend to get stupid and try to close the space in between you two with mindless jumpins, fireballs, or what have you. This is where you're able to parry, counter, and keep the distance away from you again. Good strategy in this case would be to parry a jump in attack, then immediately do a c.lp, c.lk, s.mp xx Wicked Chew. Great damage, good stun, and sends them to the other side. If you have a super stocked, you can just super cancel the second hit of Wicked Chew into Serpent Wave or Final Showdown.

K Geese is another scary SNK character because of his ability to counter, take no damage, but fill a large chunk of his K groove bar. He needs run because his dash sucks and his c.lp is a great pressure string starter. If you can pressure people well enough, then they come at you and you can counter, really making them think it's unsafe to attack you. So what's the safe way to attack Geese? Fireball. What does K-Geese have? Just Defend. Nullifies everything. Unless you're Zangief. Zangief is the only person that can really give Geese any problem, but even he will be afraid to attack a raged Geese. Being able to A-A with Raging Storm or land Deadly Rave from his s.hp or at the end of any of his strings (you can even end Deadly Rave with s.hp xx Shadow Smasher for more damage), this makes Geese a viable character to use in competition.

Other good characters are: Rock, Nakoruru, Yamazaki, Rugal, and Mai in various different grooves.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Atrophyed said:
No love for C-Terry and C/K-Haohmaru ?

C-Terry is ok, but his problem is that he doesn't have any good level 2 cancels (unless you count that combo where he cancels via taunt to do more damage, but that's not likely in a real match). Sure, he can juggle a level 2 buster wolf with a level 1 power geyser...but, well, he can juggle anything after a buster wolf in any other groove so it's useless. Terry does better in hop than run, so he should really be used in A or P. A gives him a good battery character role, and P allows him to anti-air with parry -> df+hp, although he still doesn't have any great super cancels (in Xbox version).

Haohmaru does best in K, no two ways about it. He can run, keep good pressure with poke, and has solid defense options with JD. When he's raged, he can KO people QUICKLY if they aren't careful.

Haohmaru and Terry are decent characters, but they get eaten alive by other higher tier characters. That's why I didn't list them..they have too much trouble and have really bad matchups with other characters.

Kunai

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Play me in CvS2 and I will show you how fun SNK chix can be. :tickled: