Cutting hole for DB 15-pin

Mike_Decay

n00b
So I got my box for my supergun, and all the components. I'm getting ready to start cutting. Mistakes NEED to be minimal, because I ordered the box on ebay, and I hate to pay another $20 shipped for a minor screw up.

Any advice on cutting out the hole for a standard DB 15-pin controller port? I have a dremel, screwdriver with unibit (1/2") and a bunch of bits.

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
I used a metal bracket off an old PC sound card with a DB15 port in the past. Worked great. Just line it up and tape it to whatever your cutting out as a template.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
i started small and worked my way out with the dremel, checking it with my DB15 jack every few seconds until it fit.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
i started small and worked my way out with the dremel, checking it with my DB15 jack every few seconds until it fit.

I do use this same strategy. I usually pencil mark mine and cut almost to pencil, check and see, then get closer to pencil, check... I just keep doing that until it fits then erase the pencil marks off.

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
I traced the outline onto a sheet of paper best I could and cut out a hole in the paper and pasted it onto the box and traced in the hole and drilled like xiao_haozi.

Mike_Decay

n00b
Looks like I'll be finding a site to make me another front panel for my box. Tried cutting it last night by pressing the db-15 down on the plastic to make an indentation, then used a uni-bit to cut holes in the corners then cut around that with a dremel. Needless to say I was in a bit of a hurry. Now I'll be paying for it. Lesson learned.

Mike_Decay

n00b
On a completely different note, can anybody tell me if this is a spst or dpst switch? The site I bought it from listed it as SPST....yet upon further inspection if that were true it would only have 2 prongs. This switch is also lighted though....but if that were the case it would have 3 prongs right? So I'm guessing i'm going to wiring the line in through the top two prongs....but do I need a ground?? Help pretty please.

28mn23p.jpg

And thanks to everyone for all the help so far...at the high risk of a newb sounding corny, this has gotta be one of the best forums for info i've ever been registered on. Thanks.:smirk:

Mike_Decay

n00b
Ok this is gonna sound REALLY stupid to all the people on here...even the newbies...but how the hell do use a multimeter. (I probably shouldn't be working with any kind of electronical equipment for asking this) I've never used one or had one, what would i be looking for? what settings, and what part of the switch do I test?

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Ok this is gonna sound REALLY stupid to all the people on here...even the newbies...but how the hell do use a multimeter. (I probably shouldn't be working with any kind of electronical equipment for asking this) I've never used one or had one, what would i be looking for? what settings, and what part of the switch do I test?

Google is a good friend :)

There are tons of tutorials if you just google something like 'using a multimeter' and most have helpful pictures to show you just what to be doing and some more advanced testing. So that's probably a real good place to start.

Also, I know when I bought my craftsman, it came with a decent manual that laid things out like 'To test continuity: ' and then a good description on the specific settings for that unit and how to do the test.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
A DB-15 punch is expensive last I checked.

Only $200 new

The problem is they are relatively hard to find used. It's an odd punch... So not that many are on the used market.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Only $200 new

The problem is they are relatively hard to find used. It's an odd punch... So not that many are on the used market.

I thought it was more like $400 new?

Any pop up on eBay regularly?

$200 isn't too bad, but for that kind of money I'd have to have a few projects in line to use it on before it became worth it to me.

Then again, the last holes I cut for DB-15 connectors I used a drill and a file.

Lots, and lots, and lots of metal filing.

That was not fun.

So it'd probably be worth it then.

Mike_Decay

n00b
Google is a good friend :)

There are tons of tutorials if you just google something like 'using a multimeter' and most have helpful pictures to show you just what to be doing and some more advanced testing. So that's probably a real good place to start.

Also, I know when I bought my craftsman, it came with a decent manual that laid things out like 'To test continuity: ' and then a good description on the specific settings for that unit and how to do the test.

Yea I use google all the time for looking useless dumb crap...never really think to look up something usefull.

I work at Sears...which is basically the Craftsman store anymore, I price items in hardware, electronics, and sometimes lawn and garden....I've looked at the mulitmeters many many times...then think "nah I don't need one..." guess what I'm buying after work tomorrow? :D

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I thought it was more like $400 new?

Any pop up on eBay regularly?

$200 isn't too bad, but for that kind of money I'd have to have a few projects in line to use it on before it became worth it to me.

$200 at challenge Tool...

They come up on Ebay occasionally. Sometimes they go cheap because of the lack of demand.

I got a 9-15-25-32ribbon set for like $100 about 3 years ago...

Was pretty good. Sold it to KJP for considerably more after I got rid of my stuff.

Still wish I had the 15 from time to time....

I have a 25 that I've had since forever.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
$200 at challenge Tool...

They come up on Ebay occasionally. Sometimes they go cheap because of the lack of demand.

I got a 9-15-25-32ribbon set for like $100 about 3 years ago...

Was pretty good. Sold it to KJP for considerably more after I got rid of my stuff.

Still wish I had the 15 from time to time....

I have a 25 that I've had since forever.

What materials can they punch?

acem77

Over Top Auto Mechanic
20 Year Member
yea id like at least a db9 punch, sick of using the dremel :P