Custom CMVS Arcade Stick help!

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective
Thanks in advance every1 for the help :) Here`s a link for teh stigs :P http://imgur.com/a/amPaK#0

Ok guys i`m working on one of my nicest projects :) 2 arcade sticks for my MVS and of course would love to use them for my AES as well... I managed to work my way around the DB15 plug to make it fit into the AES console`s port (the standard metal ones are too thick and short).

Now im just in the last part...the wiring!!

I know its 6 buttons and 4 directions so thats 10 cables now the other 2 are +5 and ground, ground is common mostly marked as COM but onn the buttons I bought (Seimitsu) (even the microswotches on the joystick have only 2 pins not 3) there isnt anything marked, does it make a difference which is which? or as long as don`t flip them, keep on doing (daisy chain I think they call it if I made my research right) them from one another should work fine? I opened my AES controller to see how it is wired, and it is very similar ok but I got confused for a few things:-
A) I and going to join both pin 4 and 9 both to button D (like the mahjong controller I know its useless but I just wanted it to be 100% like the AES)
B) were does +5 go? and
C) does the common (ground) keep on looping on ALL 10 buttons and directions cos the AES one has like seperate pcb for the start/select.

and finally

D) if I wire something wrong do I risk of frying something in my CMVS? (i.e. a wrong ground or +5 (which I still dunno where that wire goes lol since I only got 2 pins on each buttons and one is the actual signal and the other is the ground afaik!)

Thanks in advance for any help!!
(owww while here... i`m planning of doing another CMVS, but this time I dont wanna go for the "open board" but was thinking more of a console similar to many of you guys have... my only issue is the MV1FZS has a horizontal cart orientation...how do I go with that?)

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuu! <3 (edited to make it more understandable) (hopefully :P)

Last edited:

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective
Ok so I wired everything up (ground daisy chained) and read there is def no need of any pcb or anything else. just got a wire left which is pin 8, (+5) , and most guides says its not needed n older controllers (in fact the old NG controller does not have that) still controller doesnt work as tested it :/

Last edited:

urmyokazu

New Challenger
One thing I did wrong when I wired up my first stick was that I mixed up the position of the pins. Looking at the solder side of the DB15 connector, pin 8 (unconnected, +5v not needed) should be on the left side and pin 1 on the right side. If you flipped it like I did, no buttons would work since ground would not be properly connected.

It may not be the issue you're facing but I figured it would be something I'd toss out there for you to check. Good luck!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
what urmyokazu said. Also it's kinda hard to help you without any pics. Generally wiring up a controller for the Neo is very simple... take another look at your work and you will figure it out.

As to your next consolization project, you can do nice things with the horizontal 1 slots. You can go through some troubble and wire up the daughter board with the cart slot (it is detachable) so that it can be reorientated. Or you can work with the cart guide and add a custom cut piece of metal or acryl to cover up the PCB. A modder from Germay called Pittrock does quite often and pretty well: 1, 2 (but PLEASE don't solder direktly to the Jamma edge if you can avoid it!)

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective
One thing I did wrong when I wired up my first stick was that I mixed up the position of the pins. Looking at the solder side of the DB15 connector, pin 8 (unconnected, +5v not needed) should be on the left side and pin 1 on the right side. If you flipped it like I did, no buttons would work since ground would not be properly connected.

It may not be the issue you're facing but I figured it would be something I'd toss out there for you to check. Good luck!

Exactly what I did, but because I double and triple checked before starting, I totally omitted that option!!! works like a charm now :) 2 rdy... 2 to go (i`m wiring 2 for my friend as well hehe) bdw where can I post the pics of these babes? I think they are absolute awesomeness....poor original neo controllers...dont think i`m gonna be using them in the coming days!! Thanks for the tip urmyokazu :) (luckily didnt do any damage whatsoever since +5 was never connected with ground but flipping the wires around!)

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective
what urmyokazu said. Also it's kinda hard to help you without any pics. Generally wiring up a controller for the Neo is very simple... take another look at your work and you will figure it out.

As to your next consolization project, you can do nice things with the horizontal 1 slots. You can go through some troubble and wire up the daughter board with the cart slot (it is detachable) so that it can be reorientated. Or you can work with the cart guide and add a custom cut piece of metal or acryl to cover up the PCB. A modder from Germay called Pittrock does quite often and pretty well: 1, 2 (but PLEASE don't solder direktly to the Jamma edge if you can avoid it!)

yeah that is actually what I did with mine :) however I went to a much easier solution, I got the power on the left side and the 2 controller ports and video out for rgb on the right side, and the front left totally cleam, I soldered directly to the points so left the jamma connector clean (as I tot about the cover afterwards) then i just used a piece of pvc to slide in and it bends a bit forward (to cover the jamma`s front) and it looks ok :) (very similar to the 1st video...i`ll upload some pics later) so I wanted to go for vertical orientation, I know the cart slot is detachable, but since there`s like so many points, was wondering if i`m up to that much soldering (as in soldering skill lvl lol) however I would like to try something new... just dont wanna ruin a perfect working 1slot baby :/

urmyokazu

New Challenger
Awesome! I'm glad it worked out. It took me a while to figure out why my stick wasn't working when I made that same mistake, good to know I'm not the only one that mixed up the pin positions too :p

I always like using imgur to host my images, they let you resize easily and provide the code you can just copy and paste in to forums like this.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
congrats on getting it to work ;) Now we need some pics in here indeed. Try postimage if Imgur is not your cup of tea.

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective
congrats on getting it to work ;) Now we need some pics in here indeed. Try postimage if Imgur is not your cup of tea.

There u go :) http://imgur.com/a/amPaK#0

hope u like them guys...took me some time since they`re my first ever :) what I would have done is 2 things, the wire would have prefereed to go for black, but only up to 9 core was avail in black, so had to go for grey, also it is grounded/shielded and its quite rigid, would have prefereed a "softer" wire but its ok since the stick is bulky and heavy :) and as for the Db15 connectors I used to a guide to flip the pvc part to be able to use them on my AES as well, and of course it worked but I did a bit of a mess with a blade and some sandpaper, could have used a dremel and some fine sanding paper to make them look neater but anyways Im happy now