Curious about yahoo Japan auction.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
Is Yahoo Japan Auction a good approach for buying MVS. Seems like the prices are much better then anything domestic. Is the only way to use it through a 3rd party?

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
You have to use a proxy service unless you have a physical japan address. I purchase crap all the time from YJA and I will let you in on a little secret. Most of the time, by the time you win the auction, pay the fees, then have it shipped over, your paying right in line with what you would find the same thing for here stateside from places like ebay or amazon. Then you have to wait longer for it to get here cause lets face it, its going over the biggest ocean. If you do decide to take the plunge, let me know I may have a invite code for the proxy I use. Oh and one last thing DONT EVER CHOOSE "SURFACE MAIL" its quite literally "the slow boat from china"....

capnd77

Marked Wolf
Awesome bro, thanks for the insight. I suspected as much. Trying to squeeze every penny. I'm just getting into the mvs scene and unfortunately I should have taken the plunge sooner, seeing as how prices are much higher then a few years ago. I've looked at some of the online price guides that folks have suggested but prices seem to be off on most games from what I've seen for the last few months of collecting.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Best piece of advice I can give is get a 120 in 1 and a 161 in 1. Those will cover the majority of games. Use that to find out what games you want and then buy the actual carts. I always cringe when I read about people buying a game then findiut out they don't like it.

Side note, YJA has actually cost me more money in the long run. Yeah it's cool gettin crap from japan. But 99% of the stuff has come from a smoking household. I spend on average 2-3 hours restoring systems and bleaching spots in my bathtubs with retrobright!

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
yep - YAJ can get very expensive very quickly with a proxy service

honestly your best choice is to use these forums.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
I have a mame cabinet, so I generally play all the games I'm hunting down already and can play any titles I'm curious about. So the multi carts don't particularly interest me, I'm looking for originals of the games I love. I guess I just have to be patient and wait out my opportunities. But again thanks for the advice..

capnd77

Marked Wolf
These forums are awesome for buying games from what I see, but folks on here are like rabid dogs.. Shit comes up and immediately after the initial post all that remains is bones.. really quite amazing...

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Gotta get with the time yo! The market place is like the stock market. Gotta be ready to jump on junk ASAP! I have my handheld setup to notify and display marketplace stuff when it goes live. Other then being diligent you better by lucky!

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
These forums are awesome for buying games from what I see, but folks on here are like rabid dogs.. Shit comes up and immediately after the initial post all that remains is bones.. really quite amazing...

Plus you only being here a couple weeks doesn't bode well for you if jumping right into the Marketplace is what you want.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
You have to use a proxy service unless you have a physical japan address. I purchase crap all the time from YJA and I will let you in on a little secret. Most of the time, by the time you win the auction, pay the fees, then have it shipped over, your paying right in line with what you would find the same thing for here stateside from places like ebay or amazon. Then you have to wait longer for it to get here cause lets face it, its going over the biggest ocean. If you do decide to take the plunge, let me know I may have a invite code for the proxy I use. Oh and one last thing DONT EVER CHOOSE "SURFACE MAIL" its quite literally "the slow boat from china"....

Also, some people think YJA maybe detrimental to your health because of radiation. At least I remember someone with a geiger saying as much

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic

Hop on a group buy, usually not difficult to pick up a cart

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
If you buy enough stuff, YAJ can save you a lot of money. I bought something like 10 games from auctions last winter, and simply waited for them all to collect at the Buyee warehouse, then had them consolidated. At $5-$10 per cart, not so bad.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
My problem comes when you want to ship them across the pond. The actual purchasing is dirt cheap, I mean hell I picked up a famicom with working disk system for 380yen! Domestic shipping to the warehouse then international shipping after being divided up ended up equaling out to what I could have picked up everything off of ebay or windygaming and not wait the extra transport time or deal with customs BS. Dont get me wrong I still have a box a month of crap coming over but its more for bragging rights then anything else. Always fun to take a famicom game into a local game shop and attempt to trade it in :D

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Yeah, you really don't save much at all. With how large MVS games are, the shipping fee's would be pretty crazy. I pretty much only recommend it if you are looking for something you can not find anywhere else, or you buy a ton and have it shipped over all at once.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Yeah boat takes standard 2-3 months. If you want it fast you're choosing the wrong method. Merc is right, combining shipping is the key.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Has anyone ever had YAJ items held up in customs? I'm a parts manager and shipping is 80% of my job. With my YJA it seems like it skates right on through. Yet tractor parts from Italy almost always get opened and dicks rubbed all over them!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The only way to save money shipping from Japan is pretty much to organize a group buy.