CRT Fetish Thread

Rugdoctor

New Challenger
Well...that was an option when I had the 2 x versus cities in the room. Can curl up in the cabinet cavity and kept warm by the monitor chassis and feed off the stuck gum under the control panels. Living the dream.

2013-08-27 22.53.17.jpg

I think there is only a handful of people in my area that actually recall and more importantly enjoy arcade culture. Most of my comrades from the past have either moved back to Hong Kong or locked away by their waifus.

GeePM

Armored Scrum Object
So after many trials and tribulations, I managed to get an old XP box hooked up to my PVM. Filled around with some emulators and wow, in 240p this thing looks amazing. Hard to get decent pictures with my phone camera though.
IMG_20150114_171827.jpg

EtotheNGSPD

Mr. Big's Thug
So after many trials and tribulations, I managed to get an old XP box hooked up to my PVM.
Sorry for my ignorance, but what's an XP box? if you're talking about a pc with windows XP installed., then I would love to know how did you hook up yours to a PVM.

GeePM

Armored Scrum Object
Sorry for my ignorance, but what's an XP box? if you're talking about a pc with windows XP installed., then I would love to know how did you hook up yours to a PVM.

Yeah, its a pc with windows XP.
Basically what I did was I found an older ATI video card I had laying around that was PCI-E, got a generic driver for it and a program called soft15khz, which lets the system run resolutions in 15khz.
http://retrorgb.com/rgbvideocard.html has some decent tutorials on how to do it.
You'll obviously need a VGA to RGB BNC cable, of course.

Last edited:

EtotheNGSPD

Mr. Big's Thug
Yeah, its a pc with windows XP.
Basically what I did was I found an older ATI video card I had laying around that was PCI-E, got a generic driver for it and a program called soft15khz, which lets the system run resolutions in 15khz.
http://retrorgb.com/rgbvideocard.html has some decent tutorials on how to do it.
You'll obviously need a VGA to RGB BNC cable, of course.
ok, cool. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out later.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Well...that was an option when I had the 2 x versus cities in the room. Can curl up in the cabinet cavity and kept warm by the monitor chassis and feed off the stuck gum under the control panels. Living the dream.

View attachment 22052

I think there is only a handful of people in my area that actually recall and more importantly enjoy arcade culture. Most of my comrades from the past have either moved back to Hong Kong or locked away by their waifus.

Each post gets more epic! First the amazing game room and then the Versus Cities. If I had two of those (one for my 3s and the other for my SSF2X) I could die a happy man! Very impressive stuff! Thanks for sharing everything :)

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
RCA MM36100. I have an opportunity to grab one of these for like $20, but I have a knowledge gap. So this TV would be awesome for Dreamcast, has VGA, 930 TV Lines, 4:3 aspect ratio. It's Multisync, so I'm wondering what sort of 240p capabilities it has, or if it sucks for 240p like other HD CRT's. The specs kinda confuse me. If I can feed it RGB through the VGA port (it says it handles 15kHz) and it won't line double the picture, I'm seriously interested in picking this up. Poor man's XM29. Anyone know?

Here's the manual:

http://support.radioshack.com/support_video/doc59/59865.pdf

back panel.PNG
maxresdefault.jpg

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
For 20 bucks I would get it and if I didnt like it, I would give it to a friend or something. Or throw it in my attic/closet as a backup hehe.

Last edited:

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Don't really want to waste time/energy on something that doesn't do 240p well. Hoping some smarty-pants in here can shed a little light on the subject!

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Perhaps getting another CRT shouldn't really be a priority right now?

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I had a monitor like this. Since I couldn't hook my RGB stuff up to it directly I had to use a RGB to VGA converter (GBS-8200) to get the job done. It worked alright, but there were issues with some things not looking exactly right and flickering a bit. I'd say it was better than S-Video but nowhere near as good as a real RGB monitor. Then again, I couldn't hook mine up directly so the converter may have been the weak link in that chain.

$20 for something like this is pretty good if you don't already have a RGB monitor. I'd go for and see how it looks.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
If it's $20 and it says its multisync and can do 15 khz, then I personally would pick it up. If your time is so valuable to you that it isn't worth the risk of it not working out, then don't get it.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
$20 for something like this is pretty good if you don't already have a RGB monitor. I'd go for and see how it looks.

I have a 20, and 25 inch PVM already, and a 27 inch consumer component capable CRT. I'm really looking for something to replace the 2530 that is multisync, and a little bigger. Basically I want an XM29 but this RCA looks kinda neat.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
If it's $20 and it says its multisync and can do 15 khz, then I personally would pick it up. If your time is so valuable to you that it isn't worth the risk of it not working out, then don't get it.

So I'm a little fuzzy on some of the technical stuff here, but if a monitor says:

The RCA Digital High-Resolution Monitor is a true SVGA 800x600 pixel
progressive scan, (multiscan/multisync) display. This gives you professional
quality monitor capability with a multiscan/multisync system that automatically
detects signals with horizontal scan rates from 15.7 kHz to 37.7 kHz.

You think if I wire up a cable that it will support analog RGB output from an old school console? Know anyone with a ready made cable?

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Not if its digital me thinks.
Anyways for $20 Id make it my tate crt for x360 and creamcast.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
So I'm a little fuzzy on some of the technical stuff here, but if a monitor says:

You think if I wire up a cable that it will support analog RGB output from an old school console? Know anyone with a ready made cable?

You would probably have to make a cable. I made myself one that has a female SCART connector on one end and a VGA connector on the other. You just have to be of the mindset that it would be cool to fuck around with and see if you can make work. If not, then you either have a really nice monitor for 480i gaming, or you re-sell it for $20. For me, that's time well spent because I like tinkering with shit like that regardless of the outcome. If you don't, then maybe this isn't for you.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Not if its digital me thinks.
Anyways for $20 Id make it my tate crt for x360 and creamcast.

I thought about that, but isn't a VGA video signal analog?

You would probably have to make a cable. I made myself one that has a female SCART connector on one end and a VGA connector on the other. You just have to be of the mindset that it would be cool to fuck around with and see if you can make work. If not, then you either have a really nice monitor for 480i gaming, or you re-sell it for $20. For me, that's time well spent because I like tinkering with shit like that regardless of the outcome. If you don't, then maybe this isn't for you.

Cool. I'm a tinkerer by trade. Sounds fun, but I'm just thinking about having to recruit people to move a 200lb TV. :)

Last edited:

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
The port on the left labled svga leads me to think you might be able to use it, where the right one is digital.
Either way like Jibz said, if you feel like messing with it $20 for a TV with all that is totally worth it imo.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Yep. Doesn't mean the monitor supports 15Khz (and composite sync) regardless of them using the term Multisync.

The blurb I quoted above from the user manual says:

This gives you professional
quality monitor capability with a multiscan/multisync system that automatically
detects signals with horizontal scan rates from 15.7 kHz to 37.7 kHz.

Thoughts?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
The blurb I quoted above from the user manual says:

Thoughts?

Ahhh, I missed that part.

Sounds like it might work then. Will still probably require some cable-fu on your part to get it working.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Ahhh, I missed that part.

Sounds like it might work then. Will still probably require some cable-fu on your part to get it working.

Cool. I mostly just wanted to lay out the facts and make sure you guys didn't see a smoking gun saying it won't do RGB. If the consensus is a resounding "Maybe" I think I'm gonna give it a go. It might have to sit in my heated storage unit til I can get at it though. Cable-Fu seems straight forward enough. Find the pinout, buy the parts burn it all together and hope for the best. :) I'm sure I'll have questions, but it sounds exciting if it works. 930 lines on a 36 inch monitor through RGB could look really great.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Just found a better manual for the monitor, and to me, it looks like it won't do RGB 240p over the VGA port.

Scan_Modes.PNG

Kinda looks that way amirite?