CRT Fetish Thread

2050-Z

New Challenger
This rack mount is killer:

http://www.scart.be/?q=en/content/interview-joanna-phillips-guggenheim

Joanna Phillips: Yes, that is the case for most single-channel works, and many installations, too. This practice is fine as long as the artwork does not depend on a certain technology, or as long as the technology is still around that is needed to install a piece. But we have just experienced recently - in preparing the current exhibition “Haunted”37 - how hard it can be to install a piece dependent on CRT monitors that you have never purchased when they were around! Marina Abramovic's five channel video installation "Cleaning the mirror I" consists of 5 stacked, cubic, dark CRT monitors. The artist is not particular about the make and model, but very precise about the aesthetical appearance. We decided with the artist that the Sony 2030 PVM monitors, very common and omnipresent in museums and galleries over the last decades, are the model we want to go with. But already now, it was really hard to find them! Ebay is certainly too late for CRTs, and in the end we found some very old PVMs that had been discarded by a broadcast company that had gone down. They were very dirty and completely off in terms of white balance, zoom and convergence. We had to take them apart, clean them, adjust them, and even add little magnets to the back of the tubes to correct the convergence, because it was not sufficiently correctable anymore through the preset screws on the circuit boards. It took a lot of effort.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
I can finally kinda contribute to this thread. My TV just returned from repairs and works just like it was brand new. It may not be the best or the nicest looking monitor, but it is still my favorite one! :D

L39lfRS.jpg

(Sorry for the awful quality picture!)

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
This rack mount is killer:

http://www.scart.be/?q=en/content/interview-joanna-phillips-guggenheim

Joanna Phillips: Yes, that is the case for most single-channel works, and many installations, too. This practice is fine as long as the artwork does not depend on a certain technology, or as long as the technology is still around that is needed to install a piece. But we have just experienced recently - in preparing the current exhibition “Haunted”37 - how hard it can be to install a piece dependent on CRT monitors that you have never purchased when they were around! Marina Abramovic's five channel video installation "Cleaning the mirror I" consists of 5 stacked, cubic, dark CRT monitors. The artist is not particular about the make and model, but very precise about the aesthetical appearance. We decided with the artist that the Sony 2030 PVM monitors, very common and omnipresent in museums and galleries over the last decades, are the model we want to go with. But already now, it was really hard to find them! Ebay is certainly too late for CRTs, and in the end we found some very old PVMs that had been discarded by a broadcast company that had gone down. They were very dirty and completely off in terms of white balance, zoom and convergence. We had to take them apart, clean them, adjust them, and even add little magnets to the back of the tubes to correct the convergence, because it was not sufficiently correctable anymore through the preset screws on the circuit boards. It took a lot of effort.

The YouTube video where this people clean and adjust these PVMs is a long time favorite of mine.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
That's a Megadrive, holmes. Thunder Force II is the shit. I wanted to play it on the X68000 last time I was at Teddy's house, but I forgot.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
That's a Megadrive, holmes. Thunder Force II is the shit. I wanted to play it on the X68000 last time I was at Teddy's house, but I forgot.

The X68000 version is harder IMO because its faster and the ship is larger. Music kicks serious ass though!

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
I'd kill for a camera capable of such clear photos. I'd likely spend a week straight taking shots of my 20M2MDU. This point and shoot just doesn't do it justice.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
It's mainly just a matter of not being able to afford one. I make do with this M863, but I guess I'm just jealous.

Few things grabbed from my tumblr that I made for this stuff, so they've been scaled down by them. Perhaps grabbing from flickr would be better, but I can't be bothered to upload the newer stuff at the moment.
Spoiler:
tumblr_nec43995gD1tjoo7bo3_1280.jpg
tumblr_nee3cvPZ2v1tjoo7bo4_1280.jpg
tumblr_necv6b5MXV1tjoo7bo9_1280.jpg
tumblr_necv6b5MXV1tjoo7bo10_1280.jpg
tumblr_necv6b5MXV1tjoo7bo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nebxxvi1Qc1tjoo7bo2_1280.jpg

phonedork

n00b
I am a Nikon Dork! Canon is great too! But I also use a very special anti-moray filter, shoot in manual, use a very high aperture 1.8 to create a bokeh to blur most of the screen to not get moray patterns. I use a 85mm and shoot at 1/60th of a second on a tripod

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
2009 NIKON D5000 here. fantastic camera, and the first SLR i've ever owned. got it in 2009 as a complete COSTCO exclusive starter's set for right around $1k.

anyway, more to topic; all that remains of the CRT monitor i played my first ever VG console, the SEGA GENESIS on, in late 1989,
A 25in. a late 1980's RCA "DIMENSIA" evidently, they had "DIMENSIA" and plain-jane RCA-branded versions of the same model;

CRK45A.jpg

RCADIMENSIA25inCRTMONITORREMOTE9-20-14_zpsd548248b.jpg

generic image of TV itself,

CRK45A3.jpg

CRK45A4.jpg

CRK45A2.jpg

anyway, we managed to hold on to that monitor, still in functional condition, until just a couple years back,
when it went off to GOODWILL due to space limitations, and lack of desire to lug around any more 100+ lbs. CRT sets whenever we re-arrange the house or move.

it was sad, from a sentimental POV, but i did get to keep the remote and paperwork at least.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Canon or GTFO. Anyway,

anyway, more to topic; all that remains of the CRT monitor i played my first ever VG console, the SEGA GENESIS on, in late 1989,
A 25in. a late 1980's RCA "DIMENSIA" evidently, they had "DIMENSIA" and plain-jane RCA-branded versions of the same model;

CRK45A3.jpg

I miss console TVs. I spent countless hours sitting in front of a fake woodgrain-festooned TV either at my house or one of my friends. And all that storage space on top. My grandparents put their Christmas tree on top of theirs every year. It was obviously a small tree...

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
2009 NIKON D5000 here. fantastic camera, and the first SLR i've ever owned. got it in 2009 as a complete COSTCO exclusive starter's set for right around $1k.

anyway, we managed to hold on to that monitor, still in functional condition, until just a couple years back,
when it went off to GOODWILL due to space limitations, and lack of desire to lug around any more 100+ lbs. CRT sets whenever we re-arrange the house or move.

it was sad, from a sentimental POV, but i did get to keep the remote and paperwork at least.

I had the chance to get one of those early this year; Sadly couldn't find anyone to help me go pick it up.

A real shame too, even ignoring the SCART "EIA Multiport", it would have been a real nice show piece if nothing else.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I miss console TVs. I spent countless hours sitting in front of a fake woodgrain-festooned TV either at my house or one of my friends. And all that storage space on top. My grandparents put their Christmas tree on top of theirs every year. It was obviously a small tree...

You're missing the biggest point. If we still had console TVs they'd be easy to tate!

Well, as easy as a 100 lb box is to turn sideways, anyway.

Last edited:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Tate

Many vertically scrolling shooters use a display that is taller than it is wide (aspect ratio 3:4). That is tate in Japan. This is accomplished by using a standard display rotated 90 degrees.

Tate or the colloquial verb tateing can be accomplished with many televisions and monitors and can increase the visual fidelity in home ports of vertically scrolling shooters that support this display type.

Be aware that not all televisions can safely be rotated in this way and there are potential risks involved.

(The North American version of Raiden Project is infamous for having its true tate mode disabled. Information on re-enabling it via a cheat device can be found here.)

Conversely, 4:3 is called 'Yoko' mode

Last edited:

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
my SEGA SATURN "GALACTIC ATTACK" (LAYER SECTION) has a TATE mode. i've actually played it that way many times,
though i've never once attempted to rotate any CRT or HDTV i've ever played it on...

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
my SEGA SATURN "GALACTIC ATTACK" (LAYER SECTION) has a TATE mode. i've actually played it that way many times,
though i've never once attempted to rotate any CRT or HDTV i've ever played it on...

I ought to try that with Galactic Attack, though I'm too lazy to move crap around on the entertainment center to rotate my PVM..

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member

Do you just lay on your side while you play, then?

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Galactic attack is awesome in Tate mode, the stages are different in spots, the boss battles are different, and the amount of enemies and fire is increased. It's harder and easier because of the increase of enemies, but there is more room to move around.