CRT Fetish Thread

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Annoying noob question for those of you who hook MVS and/or JAMMA pcb's directly to your PVM's. Do you wire R G and B straight through, or do you throw some pots on those wires?

Depends which PVM you have you might need to add something here or there.

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
I have put 220 ohm resistors on the RGB lines on a few MVS boards when ive added the 8 pin DIN socket to the back.

Ive never tried putting on a 470uF cap and a 75 ohm resistor arangement like the home consoles have. 220 ohm on its own give almost the same levels.

The issue with using pots is the white balance would normally leave the machine perfectly even, making the display your point of adjustment ( ideal way ) if the white balance leaves the board with one colour higher or lower than the others, youll struggle to correct it in the display because the curves with be all different as theyre non linear.

Youre better off with a cap / resistor setup and same on all 3

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I have put 220 ohm resistors on the RGB lines on a few MVS boards when ive added the 8 pin DIN socket to the back.

Ive never tried putting on a 470uF cap and a 75 ohm resistor arangement like the home consoles have. 220 ohm on its own give almost the same levels.

The issue with using pots is the white balance would normally leave the machine perfectly even, making the display your point of adjustment ( ideal way ) if the white balance leaves the board with one colour higher or lower than the others, youll struggle to correct it in the display because the curves with be all different as theyre non linear.

Youre better off with a cap / resistor setup and same on all 3

That all makes sense, thanks. If I were to take my multimeter to the R/G/B lines and video ground, and check some readings, what am I looking for? Ideally I'd like to be able to send my monitor a "friendly" signal from an MVS, a CPS2, or whatever other JAMMA boards I might decide to buy.

Yes, no prob, lets work it out then.

I'll order it in a few and PM you when it shows up and checks out.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Love the NEC XM29! Best multisync monitor around. Here's mine running my Naomi with Capcom Vs SNK 2.

Naomi-XM29.jpg

that looks better than the DC VGA IMO

Annoying noob question for those of you who hook MVS and/or JAMMA pcb's directly to your PVM's. Do you wire R G and B straight through, or do you throw some pots on those wires?

i have a vogatek that has an s-video out. looks SUPER-CLEAN on a CRT, but moreso on the xm29

skate323k137

10 Year Member
S-video is cool and all, but 1/2 the reason I bought a PVM was so I didn't need to encode RGB to s-video or component. I just want to grab RGB straight from the jamma harness. Seems I may need some resistance on the RGB wires and a sync seperator/cleaner for some boards. gegrago had luck with an lm1881 with his setup, but I find it kind of strange that it was needed. For what it's worth, the PVM-20M2MDU happily takes composite video as composite sync, and I've tested this with multiple consoles. Yes, I know JAMMA boards output csync not cvid, which is why I find it somewhat odd that a lm1881 was needed, but that's no sweat, I can wire one of those up.

I make my own arcade sticks, wire my own power supplies etc., so there's really no other reason why I would need or want to buy a "commercial" supergun.

Jealous of that xm29, awesome display.

billbrasky

Cheng's Errand Boy
can anyone recommend the PVM-1944Q? i didn't see anyone using one in this thread-- i might have overlooked.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
The RGB/Component input B on my PVM-20M2MDU has a different kind of inner piece on the BNC connectors as seen below.

BNC_zpsbd7a3a71.jpg

Any thoughts on this? I can't plug any of my standard BNC cables/adapters into them, is there some kind of adapter to let me plug in regular BNC stuff? Seems kind of silly, maybe I won't be able to use it.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The RGB/Component input B on my PVM-20M2MDU has a different kind of inner piece on the BNC connectors as seen below.

BNC_zpsbd7a3a71.jpg

Any thoughts on this? I can't plug any of my standard BNC cables/adapters into them, is there some kind of adapter to let me plug in regular BNC stuff? Seems kind of silly, maybe I won't be able to use it.

That's strange. I have the same monitor and standard bnc cables work fine.

billbrasky

Cheng's Errand Boy
4nRtXbL.jpg

i just picked up this Sony PVM-1944Q if anyone was curious about it. it's amazing, i probably paid too much but these don't spring up in Seattle as often as they do down in LA. @The Chief all my IN connections are like the ones you show and the normal BNC Male to RCA Female work just fine.

PGorath

New Challenger
i just picked up this Sony PVM-1944Q if anyone was curious about it. it's amazing, i probably paid too much but these don't spring up in Seattle as often as they do down in LA. @The Chief all my IN connections are like the ones you show and the normal BNC Male to RCA Female work just fine.
Congrats on the pick-up. Seems very similar to my 1954Q...although yours has a VTR input

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Was just playing some games on an old CRT TV via scart socket and it feels so much better playing games that way than on my stretched flat screen TV but was wondering if there are any CRT TV out there that actually have a HDMI socket ?

I don't know of any standard-definition sets that do. The Sony Wega HD tubes have HDMI, but they're going to line/field-double things - you get a good picture, but it's interpolated up to 960i/480p. If you're looking for visible scanlines, you're out of luck.

Monoprice actually has a HDMI->VGA converter that doesn't do any kind of scaling/filtering - I've been meaning to try it with a 480i HDMI input and see if I can make a 15KHz monitor sync up.

NEO-GEO man

BNC_zpsbd7a3a71.jpg

Its probably been replaced. Those are both normal BNC sockets from what i can see on the phone screen.

2050-Z

New Challenger
4nRtXbL.jpg

Saw that on Craigslist!

I'll be selling a 20" PVM in Seattle soon if anyone is interested...

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Its probably been replaced. Those are both normal BNC sockets from what i can see on the phone screen.

It was a brand new monitor, and it's only RGB/component input B and composite line A input that have the bottom socket in that picture. RGB/component line A are like the top socket, which is what's on all my other monitors and works fine with all my BNC cables. I tried plugging a BNC/scart adapter to the bottom style socket and damaged the tip of the pin, so yeah, wasn't happening.

This is what my input panel looks like:

DSC02827_zps8e8731f8.jpg

That other style inner socket looks like it has metal on the top and bottom with a very narrow opening.

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

The composite video input in that instance is the nomal spring loaded typel

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
here goes a noob question:

I'm looking to get a scart cable for my JP saturn to use with Broken's cable. I'm kinda confused by which cable I need, I know broken's cable is set up for euro scart, not jp scart, but does that mean I need a pal cable, or an ntsc cable since the JP saturn is ntsc? thx guys.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
the difference between the saturns NTSC and PAL pinout is only pin1 at the saturn itself, which is voltage in PAL consoles (to tell the TV what mode to use) and composite sync in NTSC consoles. the vast majority of scart cables will be wired to composite video, not composite sync. This works on some monitors via breakout cable and not others, so you may need a sync sepearator circuit if your PVM doesn't take cvid as csync (mine accepts cvid as csync). That being said any scart cable should theoretically work as long as it's wired to euro scart (and most are). I was planning on ordering a saturn scart cable from http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/saturn/saturnhard.htm eventually and I can test it out, as I have the same breakout cable on the way when broken is done with the next batch.

Last edited: