CRT Fetish Thread

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I got 3 of them. A 25", 20" and a 13". Also got a Sony CRT from japan with a built-in J-21pin connector and some other RGB capable CRTs.

Love'm... once you go RGB CRT, it's hard to look at anything else.

How did you source the Sony w/ 21 pin input? What did shipping run on that bad boy?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I got 3 of them. A 25", 20" and a 13". Also got a Sony CRT from japan with a built-in J-21pin connector and some other RGB capable CRTs.

Love'm... once you go RGB CRT, it's hard to look at anything else.

How did you source that Sony w/ the 21 pin input? What did shipping run on that bad boy?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'll be most likely picking up x2 Sony PVM-2950Q units. The seller hasn't told me the model yet, but thats the only model I could find that is 27" inches. Also, anyone know the difference between 2950Q and 2950Q(M)? Online it seemed the M version is European, but i'm not entirely sure about this. The monitor appears to have a nearly flat tube design which I'm excited about...especially for some vert shmup action. Any info would be appreciated.

I did find this video though, but I don't speak dutch.

Looking at the Manual:
https://docs.sony.com/release/PVM2950Q.PDF

It appears the only difference is that the 2950Q is intended for 120v usage and the QM for 240v. Otherwise, hardware and operating specs is the same.

So yeah, QM is intended for UK and Euro usage due to power.

If you want to get rid of one of those 2950's, I'm right up here in Cincinnati.

FreedomGundam

New Challenger
So jealous of everyone and the Sony PVMs.
I've scoured Craigslist here in Montreal, and not even a shadow of one. And I've been told to not even expect any type of medical liquidation/surplus around here either.

So I ended up finding a 20" JVC AV-20F476 for $20 on Craigslist; it's a bulkier than I'd have liked due to having its speakers on either side of the front of the screen, but it'll do (for now). I went for it mainly because it has component inputs, as well as the usual composite/S-Video.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Where'd you have to go to get that, Skinny? I've been looking at CL daily and haven't found anything decent around. Nice GET!

Goomba - I have been looking on craigslist everyday under every word I can think of. This one wasnt even presented as a PVM. The guy listed it as "Sony Triniton Color Video monitor for sale- old Will Vinton/Laika gear - $150 (downtown)". He kept talking up this Will Vinton studios like it was the best damn studio around. Never heard of them and unless it was the place that produced "Ramblin rod" I dont care too much lol. Next is finding a cart to house it on like jassin000 found! What are you guys using for speaker setups?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
What are you guys using for speaker setups?

I use a pair of Sony bookshelf speakers. 1" tweeter and 5 1/4" woofer. Magnetically shielded so I can place them next to the monitor.
http://store.sony.com/sony-performa...t-27-catid-All-Speakers-and-Stereo-Components

To power them I use a Dayton Audio T-Amp. Model DTA-1. 15 watts per channel
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-1-class-t-digital-ac-dc-mini-amplifier-15-wpc--300-380

Pic of the current setup:

IMG_1277.JPG

Last edited:

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Is that a SCART switch box I spot under the PVM?

Also, does your Genesis have any jailbars or any issues with RGB mod?

I use a pair of Sony bookshelf speakers. 1" tweeter and 5 1/4" woofer. Magnetically shielded so I can place them next to the monitor.
http://store.sony.com/sony-performa...t-27-catid-All-Speakers-and-Stereo-Components

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-1-class-t-digital-ac-dc-mini-amplifier-15-wpc--300-380

IMG_1277.JPG

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Is that a SCART switch box I spot under the PVM?

Also, does your Genesis have any jailbars or any issues with RGB mod?

Yup, scart switchbox.

No jail bars on my Genny.

The easiest way to avoid jail bars with the genesis is to use composite sync rather than composite video as sync for your RGB signal.

If you use composite video as sync, you will get jail bars.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Yup, scart switchbox.

No jail bars on my Genny.

The easiest way to avoid jail bars with the genesis is to use composite sync rather than composite video as sync for your RGB signal.

If you use composite video as sync, you will get jail bars.

I use cvid as sync with my genesis on a 20M4U and its 100% jailbar free. YMMV

Anybody selling an extra PVM in San Diego/Inland Empire? I'm looking to pick up a 19" and have seen a few on craigslist but figured I'd see it anyone on here is coincidentally selling one.

I'm new to the world of RGB monitors. I bought a 27" Trinitron for retro gaming, and while it's good, I really want to step up to the next level.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
I got the PVM's from that place I linked earlier, they were worn out. I think my RGB monitor search is going to end soon. I think I am just going to save up for a kick ass sony HDTV and roll with the XRGB Mini. So yeah, if you buy from the link I posted earlier you could get a good or worn out monitor, luck of the draw.

I got the PVM's from that place I linked earlier, they were worn out. I think my RGB monitor search is going to end soon. I think I am just going to save up for a kick ass sony HDTV and roll with the XRGB Mini. So yeah, if you buy from the link I posted earlier you could get a good or worn out monitor, luck of the draw.

Since he's got so many, I'd imagine they came from a work environment and a lot of them would be shot. Sucks about that though man. Any luck on Craigslist where you are?

I'd imagine being in So Cal is fairly advantageous for this sort of thing given the proximity to the TV/film industry's main hub.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'm amazed at how much trouble you guys having sourcing PVM's that are in decent condition.

Sure, many have high mileage and and quite a few are worn out and not worth the trouble, but jeez.

I'd imagine being in So Cal is fairly advantageous for this sort of thing given the proximity to the TV/film industry's main hub.

Broadcast type monitors all but grow on trees out there.

Much like Candy Cabs.

Last edited:

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Hate to say it broken, but I'm gonna have to copy your setup lol. That amp is tits! 15 watts-RMS!!!!! What brand scart switch is that? Looks like a 6 port based on the buttons out front. I'm slowly leaning toward scart but always wrote it off due to no good RGB monitor or a tv that will accept 240p over component. I would assume you are running a scart to BNC for switch to monitor and then scart cables to each system from the switch? Whats that one poking up on the right end? And my final noob question for now atleast, Euro or Jpn wired cables?

IMG_1277.JPG

Broadcast type monitors all but grow on trees out there.

Much like Candy Cabs.

I've only been looking since like yesterday and there seem to be several available around here around 20" which is what I'm looking for. I'm not seeing any incredible deals necessarily though, at least not yet. But come to think of it, I'm not even totally sure what price I should be hoping to find.

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Hate to say it broken, but I'm gonna have to copy your setup lol. That amp is tits! 15 watts-RMS!!!!! What brand scart switch is that? Looks like a 6 port based on the buttons out front. I'm slowly leaning toward scart but always wrote it off due to no good RGB monitor or a tv that will accept 240p over component. I would assume you are running a scart to BNC for switch to monitor and then scart cables to each system from the switch? Whats that one poking up on the right end? And my final noob question for now atleast, Euro or Jpn wired cables?

It's a Hama AV100S 3 port Euro Scart switch.

I imported a bunch of scart switches last summer and sold them on the forum.

Yeah, Scart to BNC cable from the switch to the monitor. I generally build all my own cables when possible.

Poking up out of the switch on the far right hand side is a pair of stereo rca cables for audio. This switch has stereo audio jacks on it. Run straight from the switch to the audio input of your amp or powered speakers.

And yes, it's all Euro wired. JP21 wiring ONLY makes sense if you plan to go into a Japanese TV that has it or a older XRGB that has a hard wired JP21 port on it. Best thing XRGB-mini owners can do is either re-wire the stock 8 pin mini din to 21 pin connector to either the Euro spec, or replace it with a cable that is already Euro wired. Far easier to get cables Euro wired than JP21.

I've only been looking since like yesterday and there seem to be several available around here around 20" which is what I'm looking for. I'm not seeing any incredible deals necessarily though, at least not yet. But come to think of it, I'm not even totally sure what price I should be hoping to find.

I would say:

20 inch: $80 and under.
14 inch: $50 and under

Anything else is kinda wild wild west pricing.

That's midwest pricing. I would expect out in Cali to pay less due to availability.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for that sir! Good to have a better idea what I should be paying. Sounds like $80 is my limit unless I see something truly special. I never seem to stumble upon these incredible deals other people find though, for anything.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Personally, I wasnt going to pay more then $100 for one. Most of the ones I did find and throw offers out on, were in the $25-50 range. Most people never emailed back but lets face it...With no way to accurately verify hours on these units its a craps shoot every time you find one in the wild. There are those rare cases where people come across still boxed units and if you do, your one luck bastard and go buy me a lottery ticket! Talking with people when I would find one proved to be very difficult as well. Most of the people that have these dont really know what they are. Yes the internet is out there and any idiot can wikipedia or ebay to find out if something is rare and how much they can gouge another idiot for. The second problem, people found it odd that I wanted to test them. Now I may be stupid, but I have been burned already and have a 26" samsung that flickers like a fucking strobe light when I plug the neo into it sittings on a dresser as a reminder of what happens when you dont test and test fully! I'm lucky I found a hipster that wanted the money bad enough to damn near cut his price in half. probably needed the money to go buy more weed and get another weird ass hair cut....oh and my damn PVM smells like a bob marley concert once it heats up. damn I hate hipsters! Good hunting!

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
Goomba - I have been looking on craigslist everyday under every word I can think of. This one wasnt even presented as a PVM. The guy listed it as "Sony Triniton Color Video monitor for sale- old Will Vinton/Laika gear - $150 (downtown)". He kept talking up this Will Vinton studios like it was the best damn studio around. Never heard of them and unless it was the place that produced "Ramblin rod" I dont care too much lol. Next is finding a cart to house it on like jassin000 found! What are you guys using for speaker setups?

My PVM was also listed as old studio equipment. When I was visiting some relatives in Cali, I bought it off a guy in Hollywood. He asked me if I was in the industry and I responded "No, I'm gonna use this to play old videogames."

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
My PVM was also listed as old studio equipment. When I was visiting some relatives in Cali, I bought it off a guy in Hollywood. He asked me if I was in the industry and I responded "No, I'm gonna use this to play old videogames."

The guy I picked mine up from knew it was used in the retro gaming scene. I don't let on that that is what I'm really doing as I have had jack wagons hike up the price on me. They must think all us retro gaming people are loaded or something. The nice thing about is it the PVM can do double duty as a proof monitor when I get deeper into making YouTube videos.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Personally, I wasnt going to pay more then $100 for one. Most of the ones I did find and throw offers out on, were in the $25-50 range. Most people never emailed back but lets face it...With no way to accurately verify hours on these units its a craps shoot every time you find one in the wild. There are those rare cases where people come across still boxed units and if you do, your one luck bastard and go buy me a lottery ticket! Talking with people when I would find one proved to be very difficult as well. Most of the people that have these dont really know what they are. Yes the internet is out there and any idiot can wikipedia or ebay to find out if something is rare and how much they can gouge another idiot for. The second problem, people found it odd that I wanted to test them. Now I may be stupid, but I have been burned already and have a 26" samsung that flickers like a fucking strobe light when I plug the neo into it sittings on a dresser as a reminder of what happens when you dont test and test fully! I'm lucky I found a hipster that wanted the money bad enough to damn near cut his price in half. probably needed the money to go buy more weed and get another weird ass hair cut....oh and my damn PVM smells like a bob marley concert once it heats up. damn I hate hipsters! Good hunting!

Prolly find some half smoked joints in it if you looked.

Hey guys, I did find a few PVM 20"ers. Should I have any real model preference? Here are the numbers I've come across:
20M4U
20M2MDU
20L2 (this guy I've spoken to and it's supposedly in great condition for $80. Haven't made any offers on the other two)

inzo

n00b
Hey Skips,i'm sorry for your hassle. I was confident they would be good monitors. I don't know how many he's sold since i got mine last march. Maybe that's why they were so cheap?

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Hey guys, I did find a few PVM 20"ers. Should I have any real model preference? Here are the numbers I've come across:
20M4U
20M2MDU
20L2 (this guy I've spoken to and it's supposedly in great condition for $80. Haven't made any offers on the other two)

One of my PVM's is a 20L2. Good quality monitor. These were made in the early 2000's (2002?).

I believe the 20M2MDU has 2 sets of RGB inputs. Very handy.

All 3, providing they are in good functioning condition, would be nice monitors.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Hey Skips,i'm sorry for your hassle. I was confident they would be good monitors. I don't know how many he's sold since i got mine last march. Maybe that's why they were so cheap?

Nah they are cheap because they have so many of them and they have no clue they can be used for gaming. I know at least two people that got good functioning monitors. Its more they don't really do any testing or know what to look for. They just remove and recycle old electronics from medical centers.