CRT Fetish Thread

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Finally got my 19" PVM up and running. The model is PVM 1954Q. The picture quality is definitively decent, but I needed to adjust the H/V positioning on the display to fill the screen properly. I decided to remove the cover to adjust the pots directly on the chassis. Unfortunately I couldn't find any pots to tweak! They must be hidden somewhere else on a daughter board or something. I saw videos online of 20" PVMs where people were able to tweak it to their liking...not in this case. I only found one pot that was labeled "HSTAT". This seemed to tweak the RGB gun convergence, but it was already at it's sharpest point it seemed.

My suggestion to anyone looking to pick up a PVM or BVM? Stay away from this model. Good thing I only paid $50. Maybe i'll have better luck if a newer PVM/BVM comes available in my area.

EDIT: Tweaked more settings in hidden service menu. Much, much better picture once I got it tuned up. Regard my hastiness with my post. The monitor is solid. :)

Last edited:

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
I got 2 XM29s a few days ago. anyone have any luck with the VGA port and 15khz?

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member

Thats the thing - I know in the US thats not really an option but I find that on Trinitron TV's connected via Scart RGB the picture is most often on par to a PVM and in some instances better due to the the fact that a lot of the PVM's are in relatively poor shape being intensively used (and abused) over the years.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
My suggestion to anyone looking to pick up a PVM or BVM? Stay away from this model. Good thing I only paid $50. Maybe i'll have better luck if a newer PVM/BVM comes available in my area.

From my recollection this model should have an on screen display and service menu.
Have you tried pressing MENU and then pressing ENTER+DEGAUSS to enter the service menu?

IMO its the models were you have to take of the back and adjust stuff via pots are the ones which should be avoided - they are the oldest type and the least convinient to use / adjust especially if you are running multiple consoles.

Last edited:

420p

King's Dry Cleaner
I gave my 20m7mde into repair, cause of the convergence problem, I am really curious if the guy could fix it and for which price :D

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
The 1954Q looks like a larger version of the 1354Q I have (the two even share the same user's manual), so you have to access the service menu in order to adjust the picture positioning, pincushion settings, etc. Like MtothaJ said, you have to press Menu and then press Enter and Degauss at the same time.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Been messing around in the service menu (thanks for the button combo, BTW!) and having trouble addressing my main issue. The image on my PVM appears to be slightly "rotated":

f2GeDWA.jpg

Note that the upper right corner is cutting off more of the image than the upper left corner. Likewise for the lower corners. Here's my greatly exaggerated artistic interpretation:

K7ofNis.png

Any suggestions for fixing this? Using the service menu, I was able to get straighter vertical and horizontal lines, but nothing to fix this specific problem. Not a big deal and I can live with it.

Edit: Sorry, that's a bad explanation. It's more like a parallelogram where the sides are perfectly vertical and the top and bottom are slanted. Higher up on the right side and lower on the left.

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I -think- the setting called "landing" fixed that on one of mine. It may have been in a normal menu not the service menu.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
From my recollection this model should have an on screen display and service menu.
Have you tried pressing MENU and then pressing ENTER+DEGAUSS to enter the service menu?

IMO its the models were you have to take of the back and adjust stuff via pots are the ones which should be avoided - they are the oldest type and the least convinient to use / adjust especially if you are running multiple consoles.

You're awesome! That helped a lot. :buttrock: The overall picture quality on this monitor is pretty decent. I have some slight convergence issues and bending on corners. Can't blame it too much for it's age (1996). Any knowledge of how to adjust color saturation? I find the colors to be a bit dull. I'm guessing that's because of how it's factory tuned for color accuracy, rather than crazy vibrant colors.

View attachment 9777

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
I'm not the only person with geometry OCD after all!!! :lol:

I have to admit that my Sony Trinitron 27" came out of the factory really well set. I only had to mess with the tilt and red push for the most part.

420p

King's Dry Cleaner
The geometry on these PVMs are sometimes a p.i.t.a. Mine has all sorts of fuckage, but first I had the convergence to be fixed by a technician. still waiting for feedback.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
You're awesome! That helped a lot. :buttrock: The overall picture quality on this monitor is pretty decent. I have some slight convergence issues and bending on corners. Can't blame it too much for it's age (1996). Any knowledge of how to adjust color saturation? I find the colors to be a bit dull. I'm guessing that's because of how it's factory tuned for color accuracy, rather than crazy vibrant colors.

View attachment 9777

Glad it helped.
Just so you know, to save the changes made in the service menu you press DEGAUSS so that the dislay shows WRITE and then press DEGAUSS again to write the current settings to memory. If you are adjusting stuff but want to get back to how you had things previously then press BLUE ONLY, this will casue the monitor to READ the old settings you have in memory. Note that all settings will be wrtitten / read, not just the one you are currently changing.

As for the dull colours - I am with you on that. In fact, even though my BVM is in excellent condition I have pretty much stopped using it and am now using a consumer grade Sony Trinitron CRT with Scart RGB because I find the colours on that a lot more vibrant - almost neon like - and a great joy to look at.

WIth the colours you have got a choice of either adjusting stuff yourself through the user preset or going for one of the factory calibrated options accessible through the main menu via Color Temp/Bal - either 6500k or 9500k.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I just picked up a Sony KV-32HV600 to tide me over until I can locate a 20" - 25" PVM in Colorado. I like it and it has plenty of inputs.

GAMEFAN

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I just picked up a Sony KV-32HV600 to tide me over until I can locate a 20" - 25" PVM in Colorado. I like it and it has plenty of inputs.

GAMEFAN

Nice! Hope you don't regret getting rid of the PVM you sold me. Since buying it from you, I've now had three (yes, three!) other PVMs crap out on me. Yours is still going strong. I suspect it has very low hours on it.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Not at all! I am glad you are getting good use out of it! Sorry to hear about the other PVM's.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have a customer that is having a strange problem with his PVM20M2MDU.

I made him a JP21 5 in 1 SCART switcher and I tested it on my PVM and it works as it should but on his he gets strange things happening. He said if he uses scart source input 1 on the box and then selects 2, 3, 4 or 5 there is a flashing picture of the game or the picture remains on the screen even after a different scart source on the box is selected.

He sent it back to me and I tested it the same way he did, even with the same Genesis to JP21 cable and it still works properly on my PVM. When I use scart 1 and then switch to anything else the picture goes black as it should so I am confused as to what's going on with his so I assume it's his PVM.

Anyone ever hear of something like this?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I use a switch box and BNC breakouts on my 20M2MDU all the time with no issue. Either an issue with the display or user error I think.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
i don't know how this could be a monitor issue.

Sounds like user error.

Is he using JP21 cables on the other inputs as well?

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
i don't know how this could be a monitor issue.

Sounds like user error.

Is he using JP21 cables on the other inputs as well?

He's using a JP21 to BNC adapter I made for him and this box that he says he only has official JP21 scarts for except the MD one I made for him which works fine on my PVM.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
He's using a JP21 to BNC adapter I made for him and this box that he says he only has official JP21 scarts for except the MD one I made for him which works fine on my PVM.

The only time I have heard of anything similar to this happening is on cheap scart switches. They tend to have the RGB lines on input 1 and 2 connected to one another which ends up showing an un-synced image from input 2 when you are on input 1 (if the consonle on input two is powered on that is). It they are not connected in your switch he might be doing something wonky in his setup that has cross-connected the inputs. If that is the case I would tell him to turn off his game console when he switches to one on another input. Here is an example of what happens when two inputs share the same RGB lines.

and it magically goes away when input two is turned off.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I've had at least 2 sources on this box both powered and never saw any image carry over to any other. I wish this guy was local so I can see in person what he is doing.