CRT Fetish Thread

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
The M4U is nice but I sold mine and stuck with 20L5s.
I was using either a 1943MD or a KV-27FS100 so the 20M4U is a nice upgrade. Especially since my 27" has all sorts of geometry/convergence issues.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Those CRTs are old, you can't get a perfect picture anyway. Nobody cared about studio monitors when we were kids. I was happy when I got my own and it was RF only.
I actually remember continuing to use the RF out on my NES even when I got a newer TV because I thought the composite on the side looked and sounded funny. I had no idea at the time that it was actually superior.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Those CRTs are old, you can't get a perfect picture anyway. Nobody cared about studio monitors when we were kids. I was happy when I got my own and it was RF only.
When we were kids almost all anyone cared about was the size of the screen. Now some of the same kids are gaming on 9" studio monitors and pretending they love it.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I mentioned 9" in the post to push it to the extreme. Still though, I'm gonna argue if you're gaming on the best sub 20" monitor in the world, your inner child is still crying out for 30".
You can still get 9" PVM/BVM's for hella cheap last time I looked so it's kinda realistic actually.
Plus you can easily ship them.

I have one it's cool if you wear glasses and stick your face about 6" away from the screen.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
You can still get 9" PVM/BVM's for hella cheap last time I looked so it's kinda realistic actually.
Plus you can easily ship them.

I have one it's cool if you wear glasses and stick your face about 6" away from the screen.
Yeah, those 9" ones are the only thing still close to affordable and easy to obtain.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Why on earth would you have a room full of 9 and 14 inch tvs

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Why on earth would you have a room full of 9 and 14 inch tvs
Most of my computer monitors for my older computers are 14" (as was the standard size at the time) so it doesn't really bother me much. You just have to sit a little closer.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, those 9" ones are the only thing still close to affordable and easy to obtain.
A modern gaming monitor and a Retrotink/OSSC is even easier to find and a larger, better experience for probably less than these goobs are paying for a tiny security camera tube.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
A modern gaming monitor and a Retrotink/OSSC is even easier to find and a larger, better experience for probably less than these goobs are paying for a tiny security camera tube.
That's my plan for the future. Especially now with the 4K.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Most of my computer monitors for my older computers are 14" (as was the standard size at the time) so it doesn't really bother me much. You just have to sit a little closer.
I have a couple still that size, mainly for computers like you said, and for me a lot of it is the ability to sit atop an Apple II. Also monochrome crts are quite nice for Apple 1 (I built this replica) since it's video signal is pretty loose spec wise heh.

Attachments

• 20231215_181245.jpg
    20231215_181245.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230728_170625.jpg
    20230728_170625.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 3

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Back in the lab. Nice assortment of vintage computers you have there. I’m no expert but it looks like a well curated collection.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
20240210_210158.jpg
Been a minute, I am in the process of being relegated to the server closet so our guest room can be a guest room. Just bought an extron crosspoint 84 and hoping to get that setup by end of week.