CRT Fetish Thread

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
CRTs are all worthless now the retrotink 4k is here.... allegedly.
Haha. That's nonsense meant to rile people up. Even if it's possible with the right expensive OLED TV to make the scanlines indistinguishable in a close-up, CRT's and modern displays are still two completely different tools for different applications.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Haha. That's nonsense meant to rile people up. Even if it's possible with the right expensive OLED TV to make the scanlines indistinguishable in a close-up, CRT's and modern displays are still two completely different tools for different applications.
Probably.

All I know is, I've been very happy with the performance of my RGB Framemeister these past 10 years or so; and once Sinden have an all-in-one solution for PSX / PS2 lightgun games, then I'll happily never use my CRT ever again.

I'm going to get a RT4k at some point - but mainly because I'm intrigued by its processing of LD, as it potentially can offer better processing than either DVDO VP50 Pro or Lumagen.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Flat panels still suck for motion clarity even with back frame insertion.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
My last two TVs have had ~10ms lag and that's in the last 6 or so years you pretend daigos

Perhaps don't buy shitty mid range modern televisions
They're not listening.

Too busy drooling over shitty mid-range TVs from 2001.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
My last two TVs have had ~10ms lag and that's in the last 6 or so years you pretend daigos

Perhaps don't buy shitty mid range modern televisions
Maybe everyone's buying tiny-ass TV's, but the decent-sized OLED's go for more than I've ever dreamed of spending on a TV.

My 5-year-old Samsung LED has good lag.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Maybe everyone's buying tiny-ass TV's, but the decent-sized OLED's go for more than I've ever dreamed of spending on a TV.

Just gonna pipe in here and say upscaled 2d stuff looks pretty spesh on an OLED.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
There's such a thing as good lag????!! :unsure:
Haha, you're right, there isn't. It's definitely a good idea to check online to see if the model's lag has been measured and documented before buying a new TV for gaming.

Just gonna pipe in here and say upscaled 2d stuff looks pretty spesh on an OLED.
I'll have to admit, I've never seen an expensive OLED with a Retrotink4K in person. That's out of my price range. The TV's at Costco only have the demo footage on with the soap opera mode engaged, no 2D gaming.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member

TVs are cheaper if you buy them second-hand.
There are also other ways to buy them cheaper.

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
People forget that most of these crts they're picking up were low end or mid range junk back in the day too, unless it was a broadcast monitor or something. Some of the crt pics I've seen where it's a saisho or grundig or something and I'm like yeah wouldn't even own that back in the crt days tbh but okayyy

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Love my PVM (thanks again @Jon ), but I also have my Supergun and a second NGH running through a Retrotink 2x on an LG QNED (55in) with super low input delay and it looks and plays great. Tink 4k is an incredible product, but for pre-1999 games, a 2x pared with a quality modern display with low-lag is still an excellent, much lower cost solution.

To Kern's point, a lot of what I see folks posting on social media sites are literally those shit 13in Disney TV's with Mickey Mouse ears from the early 90's or my personal favorite, broadcast PVMs with 5in screens.

1706006099129.png

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
People forget that most of these crts they're picking up were low end or mid range junk back in the day too, unless it was a broadcast monitor or something. Some of the crt pics I've seen where it's a saisho or grundig or something and I'm like yeah wouldn't even own that back in the crt days tbh but okayyy
Basically for a CRT, it doesn't matter much. Sound will be vastly different but image quality not so much.
Unless you have a PVM with more lines. But I don't always think that looks better than the standard 300-600 lines.
For the USA a PVM is much more important because it can do RGB out of the box. Here in Europe, every TV from the nineties can do RGB and 60hz out of the box.

I want one of these ones, most of them have also VGA which makes it a multi-sync monitor. You can find them super cheap in Germany.
No idea what the quality is like :

Technisat

Colani TV72-5000​

tumblr_nuxoprmWhf1rpgpe2o1_1280.jpg

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
I want one of these ones, most of them have also VGA which makes it a multi-sync monitor. You can find them super cheap in Germany.

Technisat
Grundig, Technisat, Loewe & Metz with VGA were high-end at that time. They were modular, but most peeps didn't buy the VGA module. Getting the VGA module is much harder if not already included.

Those consumers are likely 100Hz and have image enhancers that can cause lag if enabled. 100Hz also means no scanlines most of the time. No lightgun support either.

Stay away from silver Grundig CRTs, they were taken over by Beko 20 years ago. The brand is still well known but only lives on the name not the quality.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
One has obviously not compared a tri-sync wei-ya 29" flat screen running in 15KHz compared to a Nanao MS9
Nope sadly never had much experience with modern arcade stuff only at a convention and in Japan. And the occasional arcade whilst travelling.
Belgium is pretty much devoid of arcades mostly due to some tax law that states that gaming is the same thing as gambling. Because you can "win" lives and scores
Grundig, Technisat, Loewe & Metz with VGA were high-end at that time. They were modular, but most peeps didn't buy the VGA module. Getting the VGA module is much harder if not already included.

Those consumers are likely 100Hz and have image enhancers that can cause lag if enabled. 100Hz also means no scanlines most of the time. No lightgun support either.

Stay away from silver Grundig CRTs, they were taken over by Beko 20 years ago. The brand is still well known but only lives on the name not the quality.
Shit right stay away from 100hz. I completely forgot about 100hz CRTs. I had a very decent Loewe once but all games look like shit on that monstrosity.

I always contact people on https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/ often you see one with VGA port but nobody is every willing to ship one to Belgium. Which I understand

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Basically for a CRT, it doesn't matter much. Sound will be vastly different but image quality not so much.
Unless you have a PVM with more lines. But I don't always think that looks better than the standard 300-600 lines.
For the USA a PVM is much more important because it can do RGB out of the box. Here in Europe, every TV from the nineties can do RGB and 60hz out of the box.

Technisat

Colani TV72-5000​

View attachment 71298

That thing gives me T-1000 vibes.

Xavier

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
20 Year Member
Think I'm going to sell my PVM-2530, they're going for insane amount of money. (like 1,000-$1500)
I've got some dual sync arcade monitor that prob have a better picture anyways, I'll just send in the chassis to have them bullet proofed.
Maybe also try doing the jungle chip RGB mod to some of my other Tv's.

I calibrated it a few years ago for RGB and now regular SD looks weird, I always need to readjust the colors.
Also everything is at different resolution in RGB, some different rez on different systems make the tube look like it has geometry issues.

I'll keep an eye out for a 20" BVM.

I found 20" PVM in a barn a couple years ago, adjusted it and it ended up looking good but for some reason the buttons on the side didn't work.
I think a remote still worked for it though. I sold it for $200 or something. It looked to be a early model, it had some sort of giant power transformer glued bolted on the side from the factory.

My NEC37XM is starting to have issues. It needs to be warmed up for awhile if you haven't used it recently.
That won't be fun if I need to repair it or dispose of it.
I love it for it's HD tubeness, does 720p through VGA and those cheap HDMI adapters work on a lot of stuff for it.