CRT Fetish Thread

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Looks amazing, I can only echo what others have already said about the need of a thorough write up for this project once you get everything set up and find some time.

I am going to post a couple videos.

First one will just be a quick overview of my Groovymame setup. How it functions, what it's like and my general opinion of it.

Then I will release a multipart video that will deal with buying appropriate hardware all the way through setup, install and configuring software and then the front end. Basically end to end. Gonna be awesome.

This has completely changed my mind of what emulation is capable of.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
ATTACH]

Thats crazy awesome. And yeah, huge Romsets are no ones friend. Dump the crap no one plays anyways.

Last edited:

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
So is there a way to search in Attract Mode? Basic MAME has this: you just start typing. The closest thing I found is marking favorites and cycling through them.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Hooked up the ole' Saturn to my XM29. Rayman is such a beautiful game, especially in RGB!!

Rayman.PNG

NucaCola

Rugal's Thug
Hey guys! So I just picked up my first PVM tv today with a friend of mine. It's a 2530 and I've got a couple questions on it.
031.JPG
First of all, when the seller showed it to use, he was playing sonic on the genesis using rgb and it looked fantastic. All it needs is some ajustments on the ratio and it will be great. However, we used Svideo with it on a SNES with Super mario world and it was having some color issues around the edges.
030.JPG
I contacted the seller and he basically said that the Svideo doesn't work well and he just uses rgb with it. That's fine, I was planning on only using rgb.
My biggest concern is the picture below.
033.JPG
Aparently the caps for the sound connectors are missing and I have no idea where to get others to replace them. So I basically have no ability to have sound with this tv and I need to know where I can get something like this repaired or replaced.
Can anyone help?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I'm not sure why s-video would have discoloration in the corners but RGB wouldn't. Seems odd.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Hey guys! So I just picked up my first PVM tv today with a friend of mine. It's a 2530 and I've got a couple questions on it.
View attachment 31622
First of all, when the seller showed it to use, he was playing sonic on the genesis using rgb and it looked fantastic. All it needs is some ajustments on the ratio and it will be great. However, we used Svideo with it on a SNES with Super mario world and it was having some color issues around the edges.
View attachment 31624
I contacted the seller and he basically said that the Svideo doesn't work well and he just uses rgb with it. That's fine, I was planning on only using rgb.
View attachment 31623
Aparently the caps for the sound connectors are missing and I have no idea where to get others to replace them. So I basically have no ability to have sound with this tv and I need to know where I can get something like this repaired or replaced.
Can anyone help?

If that discoloration is happening on s video it's probably happening on all the inputs. Does that model have a degauss button? As far as the sound goes, when you get a scart to bnc adapter just get the one with audio out built into it and pull your audio from there.

NucaCola

Rugal's Thug
If that discoloration is happening on s video it's probably happening on all the inputs. Does that model have a degauss button? As far as the sound goes, when you get a scart to bnc adapter just get the one with audio out built into it and pull your audio from there.
Really? Wow thank you! That alleviates a lot of my fears. I was actually starting to get some buyers remorse from my purchase.
Now that I know I don't need to use the broken built in sound connectors I feel better.:D
Also yes it has a degauss button. When the seller was using rgb it looked perfect it was just the Svideo that looks crap, not like I was going to use Svideo. Rgb all the way.

Last edited:

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
Really? Wow thank you! That alleviates a lot of my fears. I was actually starting to get some buyers remorse from my purchase.
Now that I know I don't need to use the broken built in sound connectors I feel better.:D
Also yes it has a degauss button. When the seller was using rgb it looked perfect it was just the Svideo that looks crap, not like I was going to use Svideo. Rgb all the way.

Did you try pressing that degauss button? CRTs sometimes need to be degaussed after being moved to a new location.
Have you tried the composite video input just to see if that discoloration also appears?

NucaCola

Rugal's Thug
Did you try pressing that degauss button? CRTs sometimes need to be degaussed after being moved to a new location.
Have you tried the composite video input just to see if that discoloration also appears?

I haven't been able to, it takes a special kind of red composite cable input. A regular red composite cable won't go in.

NucaCola

Rugal's Thug
I have the website where I can buy all the cables I need.
retrogamingcables.co.uk
But there's so many different cables I'm confused about which ones I NEED to get before I can start hooking up console rgb to my new tv.
For starters I don't know the difference between rgb and scart or what bnc is and since I can't use the sound ports from the tv, which cable allows me to hook up rgb/scart and has separate audio connectors so I can hook up speakers.
If you can provide links or explanations to my questions, I'll be incredibly thankful.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
For starters I don't know the difference between rgb and scart or what bnc is
RGB is a video format where the video signals are split between red, green, blue, and sync

SCART is a connector with a bunch of pins. It can transmit composite video, s-video, audio, and of course, RGB video

BNC is a type of connector. It has a locking connection so it's more secure than an RCA connector. It's mostly used in professional gear - like the PVM. Your PVM uses BNC for its composite video. Newer PVMs also use BNC connectors for RGB video. Your 2530 doesn't use BNC for RGB video. Its RGB input is a db25 connector.

But there's so many different cables I'm confused about which ones I NEED to get before I can start hooking up console rgb to my new tv.
First of all, you need an adapter so that you can use SCART cables on your PVM. The PVM 2530 uses a db25 connector for RGB input. This is the adapter you need: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-pvm-scart-converter
There is a choice between JP-21 and EuroSCART. They use the same connector but have different pinouts. Whichever one you pick, you will want to stick with that standard for all your cables. I'd suggest EuroSCART. It seems easier to find cables for it.

After that, you just need the SCART cables for each console you're gonna use. For your SNES, it would be this: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk...able-ntsc-tv-lead-wire-cord?search=SNES scart
There are two customization choices for this. For output, you choose between EuroSCART and JP-21. Make sure you pick the same output standard that you picked for the SCART to db25 adapter. For Sync, choose CSYNC. The PVM 2530 needs a pure csync signal. I don't think it can use composite video for its RGB sync.

If you ever want to use composite video(as an input source (This has nothing to do with the RGB sync stuff I mentioned eariler), you need to turn that BNC connector into a regular RCA jack. Here's the adapter for that: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pack-Lot-...892169?hash=item5d5be80a49:g:abkAAOSwDNdVxPuI

Last edited:

NucaCola

Rugal's Thug
First of all, you need an adapter so that you can use SCART cables on your PVM. The PVM 2530 uses a db25 connector for RGB input. This is the adapter you need: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-pvm-scart-converter
There is a choice between JP-21 and EuroSCART. They use the same connector but have different pinouts. Whichever one you pick, you will want to stick with that standard for all your cables. I'd suggest EuroSCART. It seems easier to find cables for it.

After that, you just need the SCART cables for each console you're gonna use. For your SNES, it would be this: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk...able-ntsc-tv-lead-wire-cord?search=SNES scart
There are two customization choices for this. For output, you choose between EuroSCART and JP-21. Make sure you pick the same output standard that you picked for the SCART to db25 adapter. For Sync, choose CSYNC. The PVM 2530 needs a pure csync signal. I don't think it can use composite video for its RGB sync.

If you ever want to use composite video(as an input source. This has nothing to do with the RGB sync stuff I mentioned eariler), you need to turn that BNC connector into a regular RCA jack. Here's the adapter for that: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pack-Lot-...892169?hash=item5d5be80a49:g:abkAAOSwDNdVxPuI

Thank you so much!

Last edited:

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
Thank you so much!
But which cable is scart to bnc adapter with audio out built into it?
I'll need it for sound.
You don't want a SCART to BNC adapter. That's for newer PVMs. The one you want is the SCART to db-25 adapter, which is the first item I linked. It has a built-in audio out, as shown in the picture on the product page.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member

Can anyone help?

Is there anyway you can display a solid color...like Blue, Red, or Green? It really does look like it needs to be degaussed. Also, have you tested RGB since it was shown working at the sellers house? If you haven't, it really sounds like a magnetization issue. Maybe move the monitor to another part of your room or house to see if it helps if degauss function isn't working. Also like others suggested...get yourself a degauss wand.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
NucaCola, I have this one. http://www.amazon.com/Waldom-Degaussing-Coil-Color-Power/dp/B00011UYJU/
There may be cheaper options but I haven't seen them.

If you're in the States, Retro Console Accessories on ebay has quality RGB cables for your consoles that will ship to you faster and may be cheaper overall. I don't think she sells the DB25-to-Scart adapter so that's something you would have to get from Retro Gaming Cables UK. I generally get what I need from the US ebay seller and the rest from the UK seller.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/retro_console_accessories?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

NucaCola

Rugal's Thug
I want to thank everyone for all their help and recommendations!
I have a couple more questions.
Is there anyone that can point me in the direction of an online video or document guide on how to properly adjust the video and color correction of my 2530 to its proper format?
I've already seen this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBqm4ThJxw
and is a good start to what I need to do but it doesn't give much details on what screws to mess with, and I do NOT want to fuck with the pvm's boards because I don't know what I'm doing at the time.
Any help is appreciated.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
I want to thank everyone for all their help and recommendations!
I have a couple more questions.
Is there anyone that can point me in the direction of an online video or document guide on how to properly adjust the video and color correction of my 2530 to its proper format?
I've already seen this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBqm4ThJxw
and is a good start to what I need to do but it doesn't give much details on what screws to mess with, and I do NOT want to fuck with the pvm's boards because I don't know what I'm doing at the time.
Any help is appreciated.

I don't think messing with those controls would fix your image issue. That really looks like something that needs to be degaussed. Does your monitor do anything at all when you press the degauss button? It should make a sound and you should see the image shaking for a few seconds. After it stops shaking, the discoloration should be gone.

That discoloration can also be caused by magnets. Do you have any unshielded speakers or anything magnetic right next to your monitor?

NucaCola

Rugal's Thug
I don't think messing with those controls would fix your image issue. That really looks like something that needs to be degaussed. Does your monitor do anything at all when you press the degauss button? It should make a sound and you should see the image shaking for a few seconds. After it stops shaking, the discoloration should be gone.

That discoloration can also be caused by magnets. Do you have any unshielded speakers or anything magnetic right next to your monitor?
I've messed with the degauss button multiple times. When the super nintendo was hooked up, it definitely seemed to be working. However it didn't seem to fix the Svideo color issue. But that was only because we didn't have the super nintendo hooked up for very long, so we didn't get a chance to degauss it multiple times. There are no speakers or anything magnetic near the tv as of now. However the rgb as I said words perfectly fine.
What I need are instructions on which screws to dial to fix the ratio of the image and the color correction as well.
I'm currently in an odd position where I have no consoles at my disposal to test my PVM whenever I want. I am relying on my friend who owns consoles he can use on the tv. However we can't use composite because we need the video adapter that was suggested to me which I'll be buying asap. As of right now we can only test the Svideo which the seller has told me doesn't work right. However, composite and rgb should and does work in that order.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I think you need to rule out RGB and composite in your environment before you write it off as working.

Do you have another S-Video cable?

I had an issue with a PVM that I thought wasn't working correctly and caused what looked like a degauss issue. It had red color bleeding through sections of the display. It ended up being the cable. In this case it could be the cable or on the monitor side of the connection. I dont think changing the color is going to fix this issue. Truly.

Last edited:

NucaCola

Rugal's Thug
I think you need to rule out RGB and composite in your environment before you write it off as working.

Do you have another S-Video cable?

I had an issue with a PVM that I thought wasn't working correctly and caused what looked like a degauss issue. It had red color bleeding through sections of the display. It ended up being the cable. In this case it could be the cable or on the monitor side of the connection. I dont think changing the color is going to fix this issue. Truly.
Well we plugged the Svideo super nintendo into my friends 29 inch sony non pvm and it worked fine.
What would you recommend I do? I can't really test it out today and I need to order the cables and converters to test the other connections, so that will take a while.
Like I said, the seller had a rgb genesis playing sonic before I bought it and it was crystal clear. He even said himself the Svideo is bad on the tv but everything else is fine.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Well we plugged the Svideo super nintendo into my friends 29 inch sony non pvm and it worked fine.
What would you recommend I do? I can't really test it out today and I need to order the cables and converters to test the other connections, so that will take a while.
Like I said, the seller had a rgb genesis playing sonic before I bought it and it was crystal clear. He even said himself the Svideo is bad on the tv but everything else is fine.

I had a broadcast monitor that had a constant purple blemish on the screen no matter how much I degaussed it. It ended up being the power outlet I had it plugged into. Moved the surge protector over to another outlet across the room and it was fine.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member

Without proper test equipment and given the information...my guess would be s-video, monitor side. Don't waste your time trying to fix the colors by turning pots, sounds like bad components in the video line. That is, unless you see color issues on other inputs. Does that monitor have more than one S-Video input? I don't own it personally, just going by what you've mentioned.

I foresee the future though...you'll just buy a better CRT to replace that one. That's what I would do and HAVE DONE.

one love.

NucaCola

Rugal's Thug
Without proper test equipment and given the information...my guess would be s-video, monitor side. Don't waste your time trying to fix the colors by turning pots, sounds like bad components in the video line. That is, unless you see color issues on other inputs. Does that monitor have more than one S-Video input? I don't own it personally, just going by what you've mentioned.

I foresee the future though...you'll just buy a better CRT to replace that one. That's what I would do and HAVE DONE.

one love.

It only has one Svideo out, but I wasn't going to use Svideo anyway. But as God as my witness the rgb was perfect.
As I asked earlier, can anyone tell me where I can find online instructions to the video screw adjustments on the back on the 2530? I need to fix the aspect ratio.