CRT Fetish Thread

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
You would be surprised. I think an auction on ebay not too long ago resulted in one selling close to that asking price.

There was one that went for around 1100 with shipping. That's still around 1/3 of what that Buy it now is looking for.

I have pretty much resigned myself to not ever being able to obtain this or any other of the holy grail monitors due to price and scarcity. I'm glad I was able to scoop up my 2030 and 2530 when I did; they are solid if entry-level monitors. The prices on monitors in general seems to be trending upwards.

Yep, I only moved to a place with enough room to build a proper game room a little over a year ago. I've had some good luck in tracking down professional quality monitors. But I hear stories from people in certain areas (LA where lots of PVMs are apparently abudundantly available due to movie/TV studio's tossing old CRTs. Florida where there are a lot of the medical PVMs due to the older population there. The medical ones which are generally smaller are apparently all over out there) that super cheap deals can still be had.

daithidownunder

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Anybody know of any PVM's down Australia way? Been looking and can only locate very small monitors unfortunately.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
What's considered "very small"? PVMs are generally in the 13-20" range. There's a few on eBay right now. Just search for nearby listings and see if you can get a local pick up. Since PVMs are pretty well known, be sure to look for equivalent JVC, Panasonic, and other brands too as you might be able to find a lower price (if there are any of those available).

Anyone know of a good monitor in the 23-28" range? I want to replace my 27" Trinitron with a monitor that natively supports RGB. I'm totally happy with my 14" monitors for solo gaming, so this would be for when friends visit and wouldn't need to be super awesome (but better than the Trinitron). And no I am not particularly interested in spending 3k on an XM29. :-J

Last edited:

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
What's considered "very small"? PVMs are generally in the 13-20" range. There's a few on eBay right now. Just search for nearby listings and see if you can get a local pick up. Since PVMs are pretty well known, be sure to look for equivalent JVC, Panasonic, and other brands too as you might be able to find a lower price (if there are any of those available).

I'd say smaller than 19 inches IMO is small. I actually think in looking locally for PVMs that 8 inch PVMs are WAY more common than 13,14,15 inch ones.

There are larger Sony PVMs as well. I own a 3230 for example. But they're much harder to find.

Anyone know of a good monitor in the 23-28" range? I want to replace my 27" Trinitron with a monitor that natively supports RGB. I'm totally happy with my 14" monitors for solo gaming, so this would be for when friends visit and wouldn't need to be super awesome (but better than the Trinitron). And no I am not particularly interested in spending 3k on an XM29. :-J

There doesn't seem to be a lot of options over 20 inches.
Though ebay prices are obviously ridiculous as you mentioned I will say that the NEC XM29 is an excellent monitor with about a 27 inch screen size and 29 inches total.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
There was one that went for around 1100 with shipping. That's still around 1/3 of what that Buy it now is looking for.

Yep, I only moved to a place with enough room to build a proper game room a little over a year ago. I've had some good luck in tracking down professional quality monitors. But I hear stories from people in certain areas (LA where lots of PVMs are apparently abudundantly available due to movie/TV studio's tossing old CRTs. Florida where there are a lot of the medical PVMs due to the older population there. The medical ones which are generally smaller are apparently all over out there) that super cheap deals can still be had.

Outside of those areas it really is a crapshoot. Sure they pop up every once in a while but they go really fast. Cheap deals are still out there. Luckily for us, this is still a very niche market. I think most retro gamers today are either playing on a hdtv or consumer level crts. RGB crts are starting to get more popular but most people probably still don’t have a clue about them.

I'd say smaller than 19 inches IMO is small. I actually think in looking locally for PVMs that 8 inch PVMs are WAY more common than 13,14,15 inch ones.

There are larger Sony PVMs as well. I own a 3230 for example. But they're much harder to find.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of options over 20 inches.
Though ebay prices are obviously ridiculous as you mentioned I will say that the NEC XM29 is an excellent monitor with about a 27 inch screen size and 29 inches total.

Some of the monitors you should keep your eyes out, not including the “holy grail” NEC XM 29
-Panasonic DT-2730MS / DT-2750MS
-Mitsubishi Megaview Pro 27
-Sony PVM 2530
Sony PVM 2730 QM
-Sony KX29HV3
-Sony BVM D24E1WU
-Sony BVM D32E1WU

Good luck finding them, the only one I’ve seen pop up every now and then is the PVM2530. There are probably more that I missed but that should be a good starting point.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
Outside of those areas it really is a crapshoot. Sure they pop up every once in a while but they go really fast. Cheap deals are still out there. Luckily for us, this is still a very niche market. I think most retro gamers today are either playing on a hdtv or consumer level crts. RGB crts are starting to get more popular but most people probably still don’t have a clue about them.

I'm in a pretty big city, and PVMs are still few and far between locally. And I've noticed that ones that pop up on Craigslist for reasonable prices are generally snatched up, or being held for someone within hours.

Good luck finding them, the only one I’ve seen pop up every now and then is the PVM2530. There areprobably more that I missed but that should be a good starting point.

There's some Ikegami's in the 20-24 inch range as well. But extremely difficult to find them at reasonable prices.

daithidownunder

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

Only sizes that seem to be available locally are 8"/9" unfortunately - that's here in Western Australia at least.

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
I came across a PVM 2030 on craigslist today and got it for $25. This is the first time I've dealt with CRTs outside of a cab in years. It looks like to use scart on this I need something like this? https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-pvm-scart-converter

Looks like I'm also going to need to get some scart cables for my consoles now. It looks like I'll need Csync cables? Is that correct? Still trying to get my head around this.

OOdNKN6.jpg

kaNrAc7.jpg

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Nice score, that is the right kind of adapter and yes you will need csync cables (not cvid). Worst case something like a sync strike could be used to get csync from consoles that provide it as composite video (scart standard).

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
Nice score, that is the right kind of adapter and yes you will need csync cables (not cvid). Worst case something like a sync strike could be used to get csync from consoles that provide it as composite video (scart standard).

Awesome. Looking at this site it looks like the consoles I would play on it that need a separator are PS2 and n64. They build it into the cable for an extra 10 gbp, or would it make more sense just to get the strike? I'd prefer to not have to have another device between everything though.

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Pretty sure that pvm will take cvid or csync, it's not picky. Had the Australian equivalent for awhile.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
Pretty sure that pvm will take cvid or csync, it's not picky. Had the Australian equivalent for awhile.

Awesome. I'll order cvid on the ones that need it split and see what happens. Worst case scenario I order a strike :P

skate323k137

10 Year Member
2030 and 2530 AFAIK do -not- take cvid. I would get the sync seperators built into the cable to be safe.

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
2030 and 2530 AFAIK do -not- take cvid. I would get the sync seperators built into the cable to be safe.
Yeah I think you're right actually. Thinking about it I had a 2130qm and a 2530qm. Just grab a sync strike from arcade forge and run all the consoles through that.

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
Yeah I think you're right actually. Thinking about it I had a 2130qm and a 2530qm. Just grab a sync strike from arcade forge and run all the consoles through that.

I'm thinking I'll do that. I'm still reading up on these different types of sync. I see some have CSync (Which the 2030 has), and others have either Composite Video + Sync or Luma Sync. If I go the route of not getting the sync separator built in does it matter whether I get the Composite Video + Sync or the Luma Sync? Or does the Strike board convert either of those? Sorry if this is a dumb question, just trying to clarify before I spend a bunch of money on cables.

For instance, that retrogamingcables site has the option of Luma Sync, or CSync if they build in the separator. For the XBox 1 cable they have the option of Composite Video + Sync or CSync if they build in the separator. If I bought the Luma for n64 and CV+S for Xbox 1 would they both work fine through the Strike? If that all works I just figure there probably isn't a big reason to may twice the price of the cable to get the separator built in if the Strike just does it.

I guess I'd then need to convert from DB15 to DB25.

Last edited:

skate323k137

10 Year Member
If I were in your situation I'd go for cables that provide csync or have the separator. Otherwise like you said you're looking at going from db15 to the 25 pin. I'm sure someone could make you the cable if you want to go that route but I'd personally just go scart cable to the cmptr adaptor cable.

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Definitely easier, I'd go further and not bother with RGB for the N64. Svideo is so close on that system, even with RGB it's a blurry mess.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Some of the monitors you should keep your eyes out, not including the “holy grail” NEC XM 29
-Panasonic DT-2730MS / DT-2750MS
-Mitsubishi Megaview Pro 27
-Sony PVM 2530
Sony PVM 2730 QM
-Sony KX29HV3
-Sony BVM D24E1WU
-Sony BVM D32E1WU

Thanks for the list! I'll definitely keep my eye on these.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner

I have a 2030 and have that same RetroGamingUK cable, it's taken everything I've thrown at it with RGB.

That's Neo-Geo AES with SCART, Neo Geo CD with SCART. SNES with SCART, Genesis 2/X'eye with SCART. Sega Master System with SCART, Saturn with SCART, Playstation and Playstation 2 with SCART, modded NES with SCART.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Definitely easier, I'd go further and not bother with RGB for the N64. Svideo is so close on that system, even with RGB it's a blurry mess.

Depends on if it's been modded properly.
I modded mine with an RGB amp and c-sync and it looks crystal clear.
An unmodded N64 outputs composite SCART.

Sent from my PC using a PC.

edit:
Just bought myself a little PVM :)
Happy times

Last edited:

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
Well I emailed the retrogaminguk people and they said they can make me a version of that PVM 2030 cable with a stripper built into it. That seems like it might just be the easiest solution. I'm assuming with that I'd be fine if I ever happened to get a Luma or Cvideo + Sync cable?

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Well I emailed the retrogaminguk people and they said they can make me a version of that PVM 2030 cable with a stripper built into it. That seems like it might just be the easiest solution. I'm assuming with that I'd be fine if I ever happened to get a Luma or Cvideo + Sync cable?

retrogaminguk make some good quality shit, man. I've dealt with them before.
They can even make you custom cables to your specs.