CRT Fetish Thread

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
• Scan lines might be too thick for some (fucking babies)

Lol. Nice review. I hadn't heard of this model before. So with the cards being on the sides like that, does the size of the whole unit come closer to a 20 inch monitor?

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
The can't read award tonight goes to aaronmjr :D. Sorry dude I wont answer questions in that thread, it needs as little clutter as possible. I will answer them here though.

Lol. Nice review. I hadn't heard of this model before. So with the cards being on the sides like that, does the size of the whole unit come closer to a 20 inch monitor?

Sadly this thing is fairly large, it is much larger than a PVM. I would say its width is closer to a 20 inch PVM and it is deeper than one too. The monitor itself is also almost 60 pounds.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like you figured it out :P.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
I remembered the second I hit the submit button. :) Interesting about the size.

Yeah they have to be bigger since the deflection, power, and inputs are all on cards. They cant just squish them all together like in a PVM when its like that.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
The Salvation Army was good to me this weekend. I've been hearing stories about some Goodwills no longer accepting old tube televisions, but luckily mine only refuses the really old models with the built-in wooden cabinets. I managed to pick up 2 24" Sony Trinitrons for like $20. So far so good - no burn in or anything like that. Btw I'm in the US, so S-video and component is the best I'm gonna get. I haven't had any luck sourcing out any PVMs.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
For those that have not seen it yet I created a thread where people can post in depth reviews of monitors they may feel inclined to. I will be posting my CRT reviews there to make them easier to locate from now on. I just added another PVM review tonight. http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...view-Thread!&p=3851197&viewfull=1#post3851197

Thanks so much for the thread, Skips! I wouldn't have my beautiful JVC BM-H1310SU without seeing your review. Please keep posting here when you make updates.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
New CRT review up! This time a super high quality CRT. Pictures can be found there and please keep comments regarding it here and not in the review thread.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...view-Thread!&p=3852304&viewfull=1#post3852304

Another awesome review! I'm really impressed with how it looks. I know you were very excited about the picture quality before the review and now I can see why. Nice to hear some info on the size too. I was thinking it looked larger considering the way it looks from the side and back.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
I managed to get the service manual for the 14F5U, it covers other BVM's such as the BVM-20F1U as well. It has been added to the BVM review.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
Few weeks ago I went to a friends house to set him up with a scart to BNC cable for his PVM. He shows me what looks like a pretty bad scratch on the tube and says "That shit was not there last week, I don't know how I did that". I took a rag and some windex and wiped it off. It was a booger that looked just like that.

Sadly, no one has been flinging boogers at it, or any other bodily fluids for that matter.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
10 days left and nabs already bidding like crazy. Mind it looks pretty beat up also. This will be interesting spectacle to watch.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
If anybody hasn't seen this, I got my hopes up yesterday when this was first listed. Quickly shot up over $200 today. :(

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321664095739?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

View attachment 22709

Sadly I am pretty sure this will hit around $400 (idiots on eBay paid just over $300 before shipping on a PVM-2530 not too long ago). The XM29 is nice but its not $300+ nice. Personally I would rather buy a nice 900 line 20 inch BVM (which stomps all over the XM29 video quality wise) than pay a huge premium for the extra size. It is a really nice monitor but it does tend to get over hyped just a little bit. I've also noticed 32 inch BVM's have been coming down in price a bit. Once you cross into the $350+ range I personally think its better to just save for one of those, the video quality stomps the shit out of the XM29 (unless you just gotta have that VGA port the XM29 has). A 32 inch BVM gives you around 25 inches viewable picture i think (cant remember) in 4:3 mode.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Yeah, for me I want a monitor for my livingroom that can do it all; 240p via RGB, 480p via component and VGA, have a remote control and be big enough so I can sit on a couch with a coffee table and not have to squint to read text. an XM29 or MegaView are the only options. My other option is XRGB-Mini. I'd rather stick to CRT.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Don't you also require a sync stripper for the XM-29? Thats why I like my PVM; it is a pretty straight forward monitor. I would also be overwhelmed by all of the options on some monitors, like the BVM that was recently reviewed.

Still, these are uncommon right and accept a wide variety of signals? Maybe $400 is not too unreasonable considering that.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Yeah, you need composite sync for them, they will not take cvid as sync like a lot of PVMs will.

People bidding that much without even a picture of it displaying something is a bit ludicrous. For all they know it's got mad convergence issues or geometry issues.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Although that built in VGA port would be nice for the Dreamcast

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Don't you also require a sync stripper for the XM-29? Thats why I like my PVM; it is a pretty straight forward monitor. I would also be overwhelmed by all of the options on some monitors, like the BVM that was recently reviewed.

Still, these are uncommon right and accept a wide variety of signals? Maybe $400 is not too unreasonable considering that.

It really just depends on the game console. Some will need it, some will not. It was half and half for me when I had my XM29.