CRT Fetish Thread

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Picked up this awesome CRT monitor on the weekend mainly for Dreamcast, but am going to try my Gamecube over component to a HD box pro which is cheap but fairly good component to VGA upscaler. It's an IBM P260 which is a rebadged Sony G520. Thinking of picking up one of those Hanzo VGA boxes with the built in scanline generator for stuff like 3rd Strike etc.

2z8xkaq.jpg

This my be a totally stupid question, but that picture just made me think of something. I have a 20 inch PVM being shipped to me (first PVM/non-normal TV =D) and while I am looking to mainly use rgb modded consoles on it like a NES, is there any way to hook a PS3 up to it? I feel Third strike online would just feel right on something like that! So I guess the question is; can the ps3 output rgb? If so is there a bnc cable or adapter chain I could acquire to achieve the result?

GeePM

Armored Scrum Object
This my be a totally stupid question, but that picture just made me think of something. I have a 20 inch PVM being shipped to me (first PVM/non-normal TV =D) and while I am looking to mainly use rgb modded consoles on it like a NES, is there any way to hook a PS3 up to it? I feel Third strike online would just feel right on something like that! So I guess the question is; can the ps3 output rgb? If so is there a bnc cable or adapter chain I could acquire to achieve the result?

Everything you'd ever want to know about RGB can be found here http://retrorgb.com/

"PlayStation 3 can output games from 480i - 1080p. All PS3's can play PS1 games and some earlier models can play PS2 games. I've heard people complain that PS3 systems don't play PS1 or PS2 games properly*, but if you already own a PS3, I suggest giving it a try yourself before making a decision. Recommended output: HDMI"

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Somebody talk to me about older computer monitors such as Commodore, Apple, and Tandy...

A lot of the older monitors could produce RGB at 15khz. Some that appear to be able to sync to 31khz as well.

These monitors are selling for A LOT more than I expected...($150-$300+ sold listings)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commodore-1...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Is this madness?

I would love to pickup a 13" RGB monitor like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PANASONIC-D...mputing_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20f1df05f6

I haven't seen too many pics of older vintage computer monitors, just Sony shiz. Anyone rocking something like a Commodore 1084 up in this bitch?

-stell

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

Newer PVMs also have component input, so you could just use a regular component cable with BNC to RCA adapters. I have my PS2 hooked up this way right now.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Snagged this image from another site. Might be useful for when adjusting geometry on your PVM or Wega TV:

MUaRxAU.png

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
Anyone have any advice for horizontal linearity? Should I just stop getting flat CRTs?

I've got a Sony Wega KV-27FS12. It's better than my Panasonic was, but there's still a decent amount of horizontal linearity issues.

One day I'll find a 24/25" monitor for a decent price.

mikey

Marked Wolf
Somebody talk to me about older computer monitors such as Commodore, Apple, and Tandy...

A lot of the older monitors could produce RGB at 15khz. Some that appear to be able to sync to 31khz as well.

These monitors are selling for A LOT more than I expected...($150-$300+ sold listings)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commodore-1...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Is this madness?

I would love to pickup a 13" RGB monitor like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PANASONIC-D...mputing_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20f1df05f6

I haven't seen too many pics of older vintage computer monitors, just Sony shiz. Anyone rocking something like a Commodore 1084 up in this bitch?

-stell

I grabbed a Commodore 2002 a while ago. It's got a good picture and does RGB, S-Video and composite. It's not as sharp as Sony or other monitors, but it's pretty good. There's no way I'd pay much for one though, they're usually pretty used by the time you get one these days, and don't have the brightness or the sharpness they once did. I paid $25 for mine back in the fall, but had to install a LM1881 sync buffer to get the RGB to sync up properly. It's a common issue with some of the commodore monitors, some seem to work fine while others need to be modified to work with RGB. I also don't find you get any visible scanlines with them, probably because there aren't enough lines to make them visible. I'd recommend one if you can find it for $50 or less.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Any experience or input you guys have in regards to the Sony KV-32FS320? I used to have a Wega years ago that looked exacly the same but had DVI and muliple component inputs (one 480p and one 720p/1080i) instead of one, so basically it is almost exactly the same but with less inputs and SD instead of HD. Unfortunately I don't remember the model #. Anyways, I found one for 30 bucks, but it is in rougher shape than I'd like externally (a small crack on the side, some scrapes/chips, some plastic discoloration, and overall pretty dirty looking). The screen and speakers were definitely solid. I was able to mess around with it enough to see there were no picture issues. The screen has no scratches and speakers sounded great. It was manufactured in 2005 and it weighs a ton. I'd usually hop on it, but my space is becoming limited. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Any experience or input you guys have in regards to the Sony KV-32FS320? I used to have a Wega years ago that looked exacly the same but had DVI and muliple component inputs (one 480p and one 720p/1080i) instead of one, so basically it is almost exactly the same but with less inputs and SD instead of HD. Unfortunately I don't remember the model #. Anyways, I found one for 30 bucks, but it is in rougher shape than I'd like externally (a small crack on the side, some scrapes/chips, some plastic discoloration, and overall pretty dirty looking). The screen and speakers were definitely solid. I was able to mess around with it enough to see there were no picture issues. The screen has no scratches and speakers sounded great. It was manufactured in 2005 and it weighs a ton. I'd usually hop on it, but my space is becoming limited. Any input is greatly appreciated.

The FS320 series is probably the best consumer standard def Wega TV for retro gaming. If you need something larger than you can source in an actual RGB monitor, it would be hard to beat the FS320 series.

I have been looking for a 27 inch FS320 for a Tate display, but only the 32 inchers keep popping up in my area.

If it's in solid condition, for $30 it's a no brainer. One of the last SD tube TV's Sony produced.

Was it this thread,post:

��

lol no. I see there have been some other variations of the same info posted.

Last edited:

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I got a pvm 2130qm with remote for free a while ago.
Was a gift from robo2011.
Great monitor. Did sell my beovision mx4002, also one of the best CRTs for retro gaming.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Just proves I actually read through the treads and retain somethings

Nah, just proves you spent a bunch of time finding those posts to be snarky. It's cool, I'm snarky too. Anyways.

I've watched Back To the Future 2 hundreds of times, and never noticed this. (to the right of the circled area)

16176754212_0edf3660a3_o.jpg

Looks like a professional CRT of some sort. Someone who read my post on FB popped in their Blu-Ray and paused at this scene. Looks to be a JVC VM-R190SU

027.JPG

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Picked up a Sony KV-27FS120 (Wega, Trinitron) at the thrift store for $10. Not bad, my son enjoys it. Pic of snes via s-video. It'll take the place of my 36" Trinitron.

039AE0CD-BB00-496E-B680-EDBA8C2EC046.jpg

B69B4038-DF22-4AD0-A81F-6817AE88C4AC.jpg

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
very good buy for $10 ! Gz

thrift stores no longer accept crts around here.. and i am sad.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Anyone with experience with the Makvision trisync arcade CRTs?

Thinking of ordering one of the 27/29 inch ones and building a frame to support it. Use it as my main RGB crt. The trisync would be vary handy.

What's the quality like on them? Both picture quality and build quality.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Hi,

I think, picture quality and build quality are important for playing game.

Way to try to up your post count there. Post some actual fucking content next time, market/forum access is not given based on how many posts you make.

mr.2jz

n00b
Hi again Everyone,

Happy New Years too :)

Soo I had a few mins to try and take some pics of the monitors I salvaged from post #3642 p.146.

The following were all taken from the Sony 2950Q.

I turned it on, and gave it a few minutes to warm up, then degaussed, then waited a few mins again.

All pics were taken with my iPhone6. Still won't compare to a DSLR, and I'm not sure how well focused it is either. I couldn't get right close to the screen.

1st image source was from a Nintendo Super Famicom via Nintendo AV out ->S-Video (TMNT:Turtles in Time)

3UiKLKD.jpg

XHXFCsv.jpg

2nd image source was from a PS2 FAT via Sony MultiAV ->Component Cable (Gradius 5)

5kFZiUT.jpg

mfRJ6gI.jpg

tVO8dIu.jpg

I don't think it's bad, given it's age, and that it's been in storage for years and never used. I think I will most likely need to get it calibrated/given a once over on the inside.

As for the NEC 4PG, and the Sony 20M2U, I hope to get some pics of that tomorrow, or early next week.