CRT Fetish Thread

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Looks awesome.
How are the 13" on the eyes? I am considering of getting one of them also ...but am afraid it is too small for long plays.. or am I wrong?

I played on a 13" for years with my SNES and N64 through an RF switch. TV wasn't that great, but I had some marathon sessions on that thing. I couldn't afford a nicer TV at the time and I had much younger eyes at that point too :) Doing that now would probably make my eyes bleed :p A few years back I had a pretty cool computer desk set-up with a component video Sony 13" off to the side. I played Super Street Fighter 4 ranked matches a ton on it for a few months straight. It actually was not that bad. This Panasonic of course is much nicer and the RGB signal on all my PCE stuff is really super crisp and clear. It is small and there is a bit of a curvature to the sides that can take some getting used to (as Skips wrote in his review), but the picture is fantastic and I don't think I would have a problem playing a long session on any retro system through RGB. My only exception would be in regards to any RPG or other text heavy games. The text even when small is very clear, but reading small text on anything for a long duration can be straining to the eyes. It's something to keep in mind.

Last edited:

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
How many of the emulators can you set to 240p mode?
I know the snes, genesis, nes, and PCE emulator do 240p. Not sure about the rest.
Gameboy/Gameboy Color/Gameboy Advance can also be set into 240p/"double strike" mode, but do not use VBAGX. It scales incorrectly and looks ugly. Mednafen Wii will windowbox it, but with proper scaling.
CPS2 emulation via Retroarch is quite nice as well at 224p.
Some examples, taken from a 20M2MDU displaying at 640x224p over component.
A mixture of Vampire Hunter 2, Vampire Savior 2, Mega Man: The Power Battle and Mega Man: The Power Fighters:
Spoiler:

tumblr_nebxxvi1Qc1tjoo7bo2_1280.jpg
tumblr_nebxxvi1Qc1tjoo7bo4_1280.jpg
tumblr_nebxxvi1Qc1tjoo7bo3_1280.jpg
tumblr_nebwkeY7Ka1tjoo7bo2_1280.jpg
tumblr_nebwkeY7Ka1tjoo7bo4_1280.jpg
tumblr_navh7dEPKN1tjoo7bo2_1280.jpg
tumblr_naw3jbZkIs1tjoo7bo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_naw3jbZkIs1tjoo7bo2_1280.jpg

Spoiler tags to keep from blowing up the thread.

This is on Retroarch's Final Burn Alpha core, so it should be able to do 240p AES/MVS as well.

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
I played on a 13" for years with my SNES and N64 through an RF switch. TV wasn't that great, but I had some marathon sessions on that thing. I couldn't afford a nicer TV at the time and I had much younger eyes at that point too :) Doing that now would probably make my eyes bleed :p A few years back I had a pretty cool computer desk set-up with a component video Sony 13" off to the side. I played Super Street Fighter 4 ranked matches a ton on it for a few months straight. It actually was not that bad. This Panasonic of course is much nicer and the RGB signal on all my PCE stuff is really super crisp and clear. It is small and there is a bit of a curvature to the sides that can take some getting used to (as Skips wrote in his review), but the picture is fantastic and I don't think I would have a problem playing a long session on any retro system through RGB. My only exception would be in regards to any RPG or other text heavy games. The text even when small is very clear, but reading small text on anything for a long duration can be straining to the eyes. It's something to keep in mind.

This reminded me my 14" Amstrad color monitor. Wonderful. Bad games, but VG monitor.

Before that, played with my Spectrum 16k on a black and white 9 incher through RF. Good times.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
This reminded me my 14" Amstrad color monitor. Wonderful. Bad games, but VG monitor.

Before that, played with my Spectrum 16k on a black and white 9 incher through RF. Good times.

I remember when GoldenEye 64 came out. My friends and I used to play 3 player on a 13" through RF every day in high school. I'm shocked any of us can still see. Lol. We used say, "quit looking at my postage stamp" when people would watch your portion of the screen to see where you were. It was damn near impossible not to. Lol.

Bancho

n00b
View attachment 21304

The review Skips did had a direct impact on what I got for Xmas this year ;) I should have some non-garbage action shots tomorrow for you guys.

Nice pickup 3rdStrikeMike. It Seems like the Panasonic/JVC monitors are starting to get noticed a bit now. The picture they produce really is fantastic. I hope my JVC lasts for many years to come!

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
"The OEV-203 Monitors are designed exclusively for video endoscopy and are ideal components for use with all Olympus endoscopy systems".

So THAT monitor must have seen a lot of anuses. Hmmm...

BTW Kid Panda would like to know something about it:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?235011-WTF-Olympus-SONY-OEV203-service-manual

double posted sorry :(

Endoscope doesn't always mean ass, you can use an endoscope orally to check out the esophagus, stomach & upper GI. Butt what ever gets you to sleep at night with your anal probing fantasies.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Endoscope doesn't always mean ass, you can use an endoscope orally to check out the esophagus, stomach & upper GI. Butt what ever gets you to sleep at night with your anal probing fantasies.

I'm just happy my monitor doesn't have any 'interesting' burn-in images. :)

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
Found and bought yesterday in the rainy evening, at a cost of 50 euro.
At home I immediately connected to the MVS, so I do not even know what exact model is. :keke:
Picture quality is stunning...
It has also an RGB input with SCART! :cool:

I'm in the club? :D

15853711148_c6af4a5aaf_c.jpg

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
Found and bought yesterday in the rainy evening, at a cost of 50 euro.
At home I immediately connected to the MVS, so I do not even know what exact model is. :keke:
Picture quality is stunning...
It has also an RGB input with SCART! :cool:

I'm in the club? :D

15853711148_c6af4a5aaf_c.jpg

Looks like mine, 2130QM. BTW, I bought it for 50€ too, but w/loudspeakers.

Last edited:

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
Yes it has.

It is possible to connect speakers via mini-jack out? so audio is taken from SCART, and the PVM send it to the speakers?

There is a "service menu" or all the geometry can be corrected only via hardware?

Thank you!

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
It is possible to connect speakers via mini-jack out? so audio is taken from SCART, and the PVM send it to the speakers?

There is a "service menu" or all the geometry can be corrected only via hardware?

Thank you!

Refer to this thread http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...U-and-others&p=3650948&viewfull=1#post3650948 to find a lot of manuals, if yours is 2103QM then click here for the PDF.

I'm at work now, but AFAIK if you connect the media through SCART, then the audio gets out through the clamps only.

There's a service menu but the geometry and several other adjustments must be done like this.

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
Refer to this thread http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...U-and-others&p=3650948&viewfull=1#post3650948 to find a lot of manuals, if yours is 2103QM then click here for the PDF.

I'm at work now, but AFAIK if you connect the media through SCART, then the audio gets out through the clamps only.

There's a service menu but the geometry and several other adjustments must be done like this.

Hey thank you!
So I need an amplifier, or two pre-amplified speakers? What is, if possibile, your setup?
Gracias!

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Hey thank you!
So I need an amplifier, or two pre-amplified speakers? What is, if possibile, your setup?
Gracias!

If yours is like the US PVM-2030, there is a built in amplifier. You just need speakers and wire to connect to the speaker terminals.

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
Hey thank you!
Gracias!

I'm using these loudspeakers:

3uybewY.jpg

PV8fSRI.jpg

Check your model sticker because it can be a different unit as aaronmjr told you.

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
Hi, my model is a PVM2130QM. :)
I've downloaded the manual (thank you VERY MUCH for the link) but still I don't know if I should use some pre-amplified speakers or not.
Thank you!

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
Do you mean that I can use passive speakers (8 or 16 Ohm) without an external amplifier?
Thank you!

Correct. Notice: I haven't used any different loudspeakers than this, have in mind the monitor outputs 7w+7w.

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
Correct. Notice: I haven't used any different loudspeakers than this, have in mind the monitor outputs 7w+7w.

Thank you again, and sorry but I'm not an audio expert... do you say this 'cause I could damage something, or 'cause with some passive speakers I simply could not hear the audio (without the risk of damage)?
Thanks