CRT Fetish Thread

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
That cable should work fine. However that seller also makes one that doesn't have the audio breakout cabling.

You might still notice that faint line in the picture over rgb.

FYI snes mini doesn't output rgb or svideo unless you mod it.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Would this work?

It says it would work for a U.S. Model SNES.

From the auction:

"Up for sale is a stereo RGB SCART cable for the US model of the Super Nintendo."

Yes, it will work.

Another thought comes to mind. When I mod my N64 for RGB, will the cord in the action work with that too?

I believe so.

and finally, what cord off eBay would you recommend I buy for my SEGA Saturn. I screwed up once, I don't want to make the wrong purchase a second time.

The one I linked in my comment above. If your saturn is NTSC, get that one. The PAL cables will NOT work.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Damn, oh well.

Would this work? It says it would work for a U.S. Model SNES. Also, would it send audio to your av cables on the adapter just fine? I ask because this cable ALSO has an AV cable, so I'm worried it wouldn't redirect the audio to your adapter, and then to my speakers through my amp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Ninte...=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Also, will I notice that faint green vertical line the SNES normally outputs in composite and s-video on model 1 snes systems?

That was part of why I got a Mini SNES awhile back.

Another thought comes to mind. When I mod my N64 for RGB, will the cord in the action work with that too?

and finally, what cord off eBay would you recommend I buy for my SEGA Saturn. I screwed up once, I don't want to make the wrong purchase a second time.

What adapter are you waiting on? If it's the sync strike from arcade forge none of the cables on Ebay will work with your PVM if it's the 2950 you need to get the special one from arcade forge or make it yourself.

Welcome to RGB HELLLLLL MWAHAAHAHA

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Hang on, I just realised your someone else. I thought you were the person who PM'd me about this the other day.

Im going crazy. Yes.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Hang on, I just realised your someone else. I thought you were the person who PM'd me about this the other day.

Im going crazy. Yes.

You been drinking too much of the Fosters.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Ok, just before I make the final Purchase, these two cords would work perfectly fine with my American Sega saturn and Super Nintendo With Broken's Adapter? I'm just confused on a few things. This seller has two types of cord for each region. One is raw sync, and one is not (I would assume composite sync). I should choose the one that isn't marked as raw sync right? I have no idea what the difference is, so if one would look better/perform better than the other, let me know.

Furthermore I am taken completely aback by the fact that I couldn't just use any Euro Scart SNES or saturn cable for my systems & converter cord. Wasn't the whole point of broken's cord that you could take any euro scart cable and use it for RGB? Why would there even BE NTSC Scart cables for these systems in the first place, when scart wasn't what was used in america? Was I just lucky when I ordered PS2, Wii, Dreamcast, and sega genesis Euro scart cords, and they all worked just fine?

Sigh, so much to learn. These are the two cables I'm looking at right now, should I go with these, or would someone like to redirect me to cheaper cords that would do the same thing?

Neither have the audio breakout cabling, so they should function the same as all my other cords audio wise.

Saturn

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Saturn...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item2ec1bc184c

SNES

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Ninte...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item25775f245d

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
The reason the cable is slightly different between regions is because dumbass Sega and Nintendo made changes to the outputting RGB signal on the PAL hardware vs the NTSC stuff. For the most part, the PAL hardware is the one that usually got all the RGB connectivity lovin', so you have to be careful of the cable you get. It only matters on a couple systems.

Both that saturn and snes cable should be fine for NTSC machines.

I hate that term raw sync. Its composite sync. She likes to use raw for some reason when its really composite sync. When in doubt, if you have the option, pick a cable that uses composite sync (or raw sync as she likes to use). However PVM's typically have no problem syncing with composite video as sync.

The cables that Retro Console Accessories sells are pretty nice quality.

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Im not, its still a better beer than a vast amount of imports!! Haha!!

NEO-GEO man

It's the best picture the NEO can get though if you don't have a Candy or Big Red.
Or an NEC Multisync CRT. Or any decent rear projection CRT fot that matter, even more so with a set using Panasonic P16 tubes (which alot of Sony rear pro TVs do).

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Just bought one from ebay. Sony PVM-20M4E. Now to buy cables and converters.

Does anyone know any sellers in the UK for cables and such or should I go with the links given? Would a BNC to RCA converter be enough?

Thanks

NEO-GEO man

What do you need the BNC-RCA for? Youre not hooking up with composite video are you?

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
The only non-Sony CRT to be joining the fold (aside from the cabs)

67604_10152274969865557_1248553748_n.jpg

Picked this up from our very own BigTinz. Gateway Destination DL27-1 VGA monitor. The X68000 will look GREAT on this thing!

Now I just need to haul it back to Texas...

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
The only non-Sony CRT to be joining the fold (aside from the cabs)

67604_10152274969865557_1248553748_n.jpg

Picked this up from our very own BigTinz. Gateway Destination DL27-1 VGA monitor. The X68000 will look GREAT on this thing!

Now I just need to haul it back to Texas...

My buddy had that monitor, it was sick looking. Wish he still had it :/

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
What do you need the BNC-RCA for? Youre not hooking up with composite video are you?

I'm going to be using RGB. The question is this. Let's assume I have all the correct RGB cables for all consoles (Saturn, Neo-Geo, PS1, etc)

Do I need a sync strike from arcadeforge.de or I could get one of these and do the job?

http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-pvm-scart-converter-bnc.html

Therefore instead of Scart -> Sync Strike -> VGA to Male RGBHV will this cable do the job?

This guy here uses the Sync Strike with his Sony PVM

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
So here's a thought.

What would be the cheapest way to play Neo Geo Carts, both AES & MVS through RGB?

Does a NEo Geo Flash Cart Exist?

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
I guess the technology or demand isn't there yet?

Last edited:

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
So here's a thought.

What would be the cheapest way to play Neo Geo Carts, both AES & MVS through RGB?

Does a NEo Geo Flash Cart Exist?

Cheapest is buying a Consolized Neo Geo MVS board, 1-2 Neo Geo Controllers, a 161-in-1 MVS Cart.

Consolized MVS board $200-$300
Neo Geo Controller $50-$120
161-in-1 Cart $120

...Best of luck with that! :P