Crossed Swords 2 AES/MVS and Rom Thread.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Crossed Swords 2 Artwork

A few months ago, I had an overseas friend of mine work on a home cart insert and other then some Japanese text he asked me to get professionally translated, he had pretty much completed the project.

I thought it came out excellent. I could ask him where he sourced his artwork. Here is a sample that I have.

cs2watermarked.jpg

traducir.jpg

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I forget a few details. Beyond being cool, why is an MVS conversion necessary? Could a CD version be made with the enhancements and keep the correct soundtrack?

Are fixes/finds like these going to become more common (probably the only thing that comes close is smkdan's SSIII enhancement at the moment)? With a little foresight, would it be wise to have a section on the forum that best documents the enhanced version of each game - something like the reviews section? These aren't exactly trivial enhancements, like changing the color of a stripe.

JacKc

Quiz Detective
Thanks NeoTurfMasta for the scans.

Here's my CS2 Work In Progress insert :

WNGY7xB.jpg

best regards,
JacKc.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Great work on all the stuff so far guys... I don't know how the meg count rules go on the box art. In reality this is going to be a 78 meg game data wise even though the cart may have 98meg of ROM space. Does that mean its correct to have 78 or 98?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Great work on all the stuff so far guys... I don't know how the meg count rules go on the box art. In reality this is going to be a 78 meg game data wise even though the cart may have 98meg of ROM space. Does that mean its correct to have 78 or 98?

Split the difference... call it 88Mbs...

xROTx

PS. Alternatively... go mad... and say... 778 mb... call it a typo or something...

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
One thing I am seeing from the scans is there is a lot more blue in the pictures than what's actually in the game. For example the item backgrounds in the shop are far more green. Also the water in the levels that have it (especially level 10) . I have actually already (even before I saw these pictures) though about making the water more blue.

I'm beginning to wonder if they changed the games colour palettes to more suit PAL displays than the normal 60hz found in the arcades. I have already found cases where graphic detail was lost do to the colour palettes used which I have corrected some.

Tomorrow I'll try and capture pictures from the levels in TurfMasta's scans / Supergun's cover so you can see what I mean or use them in the cover design.

Last edited:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member

Generally, the meg count reflects the true size of the game. I've seen cases for the meg count on the box is lower than the total capacity of the mask roms on the boards. SNK didn't include the padding that was at the end of some C-roms in their calculations.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Ok, it that case 78meg is the correct size to use.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ya, NCI flubbed their counts on both BBB and TOTC, they made the meg count the size of the chips they used which were bigger than the actual game.

JacKc

Quiz Detective
Almost finished... But needs someone to translate japanese text on the image which was posted by Supergun on few posts above.

UQgBwt4.jpg

Special thanks goes to NeoTurfMasta for the scans.

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Almost finished... But needs someone to translate japanese text on the image which was posted by Supergun on few posts above.

UQgBwt4.jpg

It's nice work JackC man...

There will be an end product... there's a few people doing this atm... but THANK you for the pics...

I owe you...

xROTx

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Hey, I'm traveling and will be able to check during the week-end.

Anyway thanks Brian, that's the one I have (I think) so I may have to dig other SDK stuff in case.

Later and keep the good work coming guys!

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Wow, great find NTM... I can't think why they never went for that in the final flyer. :confused:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Unsure which pic I want on my CS 2 cover...

c8bf7cd8d38b270f6e43e1c72d52b6f0.jpg

90c8deda3029732bae3f25cfb80a89de.png

Whatcha think lads?

xROTx

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Just in case Rot's images are not shown, just F5'd.

1st one is waaaaaaaaaaay better :P

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Almost finished... But needs someone to translate japanese text on the image which was posted by Supergun on few posts above.[/IMG]

騎士道復活
「きしどうふっかつ」
kishidou fukkatsu

"Chivalry* rebirth"

(* lit. the way of the knight)

(working on the rest)

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
attachment.php

A mate in Japan translated it for me...

The immortal epic of Crossed Swords has finally been eclipsed! With improved graphics and huge looming bosses. The evil has returned and once again it is up to you to save the kingdom of Vilucania!

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Here Are some screen grabs I have done trying to catch the pictures in the original flyers where possible. I guess to use these you would need to add some kind of softening.

You can see what I mean about the shop colours with these grabs compared to the originals. Also note how the player score information changed between those pictures and the released CD game.

Attachments

• charselect.png
    charselect.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 203
  • gameplay1.png
    gameplay1.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 202
  • gameplay2.png
    gameplay2.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 203
  • gameplay3.png
    gameplay3.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 202
  • gameplay5.png
    gameplay5.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 200
  • gameplay4.png
    gameplay4.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 201
  • gameplay6.png
    gameplay6.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 201
  • modeselectenglish.png
    modeselectenglish.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 200
  • modeselectjapan.png
    modeselectjapan.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 201
  • shopenglish.png
    shopenglish.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 202
  • shopjapan.png
    shopjapan.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 203

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
like ForeverSublime I am very interested by an CD version too with all the correction of the bug

Could you think it was possible ? are you interested to do this CD version with an cadrige version ?

JacKc

Quiz Detective
thanks Raz for the snaps and rcantor77 for the translation.

After various tweaks, clean ups, and some work, here my final CS2 inserts (two variations based on the images posted by Raz) :

BCsZziK.jpg

Version 1

nUUlyec.jpg

Version 2

Best regards,
JacKc.