Cracked Ball on AES Stick: how to change it?

legolas119

Rugal's Thug
Hi

I have bought a NEO Geo Arcade stick for my MVS consolized machine.
As usual, the joystick has the cracked ball. I would like to change it with a new one.

I found this: http://www.otakus-store.net/en/neo-geo-aes-/275-neo-geo-aes-joystick-replacement-ball.html

Do you think that it is good? If I want to chage the ball, is it necessary to disassemble the joystick chassis or can I simply unscrew the cracked ball and then screw the new one?

thank you!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You need to open the case and use a flat head screwdriver to hold the shaft from moving then twist the old ball off.

There's a slot on the bottom of the shaft for the flat head.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
can't you just hold the shaft with pliers? with something to keep from marring like cloth or duct tape involved.

Schiggidyd

Kuroko's Training Dummy
can't you just hold the shaft with pliers? with something to keep from marring like cloth or duct tape involved.

Agreed, I don't believe you need to even open the casing. I changed my balltop as well. Keep the stick from spinning and twist the ball right off.

Good luck!

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
I'd get this for a replacement balltop. Same size, better feel IMHO. 35mm balltops feel weird to me on an AES stick.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

You can, but you gotta grip it really tight, there's a good chance of leaving tooth marks from the vice grips or whatever you're using. Is it worth risking because you don't feel like undoing a few screws on the back?

I've never been able to get the ball top tight enough without going in through the bottom.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just keep in mind that some stock ball tops are fused to the shaft. If you have one of those, say goodbye to your shaft if you are using pliers.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I've never been able to get the ball top tight enough without going in through the bottom.
giphy.gif

Schiggidyd

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Just keep in mind that some stock ball tops are fused to the shaft. If you have one of those, say goodbye to your shaft if you are using pliers.

I never knew that, so it's definitely safer to open the casing. Thanks.

co2

n00b
i used pliers on mine but put some cloth to prevent damage to the shaft... swapped it for a larger ball also
only problem was it's red... but that's not a issue for me :)

legolas119

Rugal's Thug
ah ok! but unfortunately it cost 2,5$ but 46$ (tax excl) of shipping cost for Italy!!

It's better I buy it here in europe :)

In the other link, from france, I spend 11 euro in total :)

In a youtube video, a guy said that it is possible to lock the stick with a rubber for example. In this way I don't scratch the stick. Do you think it is a good idea?

Ah, some stock ball tops are fused to the shaft? nooo...I hope that my stick has'nt this problem...well, i think that in a couple of day the stick will be here. I will try to unscrew it: if i'm able to move the ball, then i will order the new one..

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
ah ok! but unfortunately it cost 2,5$ but 46$ (tax excl) of shipping cost for Italy!!

It's better I buy it here in europe :)

In the other link, from france, I spend 11 euro in total :)

In a youtube video, a guy said that it is possible to lock the stick with a rubber for example. In this way I don't scratch the stick. Do you think it is a good idea?

Ah, some stock ball tops are fused to the shaft? nooo...I hope that my stick has'nt this problem...well, i think that in a couple of day the stick will be here. I will try to unscrew it: if i'm able to move the ball, then i will order the new one..

Just open it up. You should clean the assembly and apply new grease anyway. With it open, change the buttons to sanwa or seimitsu and add a JNX GOTW octogate while you are at it. You can even get new rubber feet.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Just open it up. You should clean the assembly and apply new grease anyway. With it open, change the buttons to sanwa or seimitsu and add a JNX GOTW octogate while you are at it. You can even get new rubber feet.
TRUTH!

legolas119

Rugal's Thug

ah ok, but i'm not able to do it...if i want to change button and joystick it isn't enough to plug the connectors, i probably have to solder them?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
ah ok, but i'm not able to do it...if i want to change button and joystick it isn't enough to plug the connectors, i probably have to solder them?

You don't need anything other than a Philips screwdriver to regrease the stick. Well, you will need a small flat head and pliers to remove the E clip from the bottom of the shaft to take the assembly apart.

legolas119

Rugal's Thug
Ok, I bought the new ball, perfect!!!! my joystick is new now!! :)

I only need the consolized MVS... :)

geise

Mickey's Coach
Nice. I have some which I use on my Duo lens rails. I wasn't sure if it was something specific. Thanks!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Some of the arcade parts places sell small packs of "joystick grease" but I'm pretty sure it's just overpriced lithium grease. I buy tubes from the auto parts stores since it's cheaper than electronics stores (same with contact cleaner.)