CPS3 suicide free a step closer.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
He says he was able to re-program (flash) a 2nd Impact dead cart.

Most exciting news in 2012 (and probably 2013 as well)

:buttrock:

Edit:

he was able to play with a 2dn Impact cart, but it seems there are 4 types of chip inside carts, so he can't move on other titles, without access to other cart models... time to contribute folks!

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21688&start=100#p283771

Last edited:

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
He says he was able to re-program (flash) a 2nd Impact dead cart.

Most exciting news in 2012 (and probably 2013 as well)

:buttrock:

Edit:

he was able to play with a 2dn Impact cart, but it seems there are 4 types of chip inside carts, so he can't move on other titles, without access to other cart models... time to contribute folks!

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21688&start=100#p283771

i love this part:

(...)
I surely have some ideas on how to build an device to reprogram the keys without opening the carts but, flashing the exact same 8 byte sequence CAPCOM feeds the SH2 chip to set the key at the flashrom inside the cart (0x7FF00) and removing the battery will cause it to restore itself every time it's powered on.

Effectively making it battery free.

Professor Plum

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I did it!!! I revived a dead cart to work with NO battery!!! It wasn't EASY and it wasn't HARD. HUGE THANKS TO leonardoliveira & Idc over at Arcade Otaku!!!!

Here are the pics!!! NOTICE NO BATTERY!!!! It was a dead New Generation Cart that was made into a 2nd Impact! No need for battery!
Excuse all the exclamation points but I just did this not 10 minutes ago!

Added better pics

cps3nice.jpg

cps3first.jpg

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Can we get a procedure please? Got a spare dead 3S I'd like to turn into something else.

Professor Plum

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I need to say that I am not sure if leonardoliveira & Idc over at Arcade Otaku have publicly released the method on how to do it. And I don't want to step on their toes since it is their work that did it.
I am not sure how much is private or what yet...... so I really can't say until after they do. Once they release everything I don't mind answering questions.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Wow I can't believe this day is finally here! I know you can't be too specific about the procedure just yet, but is this something most people can do, or does it require un-soldering that SH2?

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
Some jumpers .... re wired some things ....

Lets wait for the public release :D

what an Nice DAY ;)

BIGTIME

Galford's Armourer
Wow I can't believe this day is finally here! I know you can't be too specific about the procedure just yet, but is this something most people can do, or does it require un-soldering that SH2?

No the procedure is really simple the only soldering required is to desolder the battery

Professor Plum

Tarma's Gun Polisher
No the procedure is really simple the only soldering required is to desolder the battery

I think there was a quote somewhere that made it seem like anyone can do it.... That is very misleading...
I will say that not everyone will be able to do it on their own unless there is a totally different way to do it that I don't know. The way I did it takes advanced solder skills or in my case medium solder skills and lots of luck! LOL

scgon

Benimaru's Hairdresser
10 Year Member
And I've removed the batteries from my 3 dead carts!

BIGTIME

Galford's Armourer
I think there was a quote somewhere that made it seem like anyone can do it.... That is very misleading...
I will say that not everyone will be able to do it on their own unless there is a totally different way to do it that I don't know. The way I did it takes advanced solder skills or in my case medium solder skills and lots of luck! LOL

I just got my burner in the mail a few days ago so once I get this artwork sorted out I will have a go at it. What I am thinking is that one of the 4 chips needs to be reprogrammed witch can be easily removed through the use of hot air tools. Still I wont know for sure til I actually have time to sit down and do it. Obviously before desoldering anything I will test a few theories I have. I will report my findings when I am done but I might not get around to it for a week or so. Nice work though Mat you successfully decrypted dudes message

Last edited:

Professor Plum

Tarma's Gun Polisher

I was just saying that there is way more soldering required than just to desolder the battery. Unless there is some other way to make it work.

I just got my burner in the mail a few days ago so once I get this artwork sorted out I will have a go at it....witch can be easily removed through the use of hot air tools
What burner did you end up getting? Dude you got hot air tools? I want to get a nice rework station. All I have now is radio shack soldering iron and lots of patience.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
From the way it sounds over on AO doesn't seem like a programmer is needed unless you wanna switch titles? However, I am out of the loop. My guess since the key is on the flash and has to goto an address on the SH2 is part of the jumper requirements.

Last edited:

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
From the way it sounds over on AO doesn't seem like a programmer is needed unless you wanna switch titles? However, I am out of the loop. My guess since the key is on the flash and has to goto an address on the SH2 is part of the jumper requirements.

^^

JUMPERS

you dont need to flash if your planing to use the same cart for the same game.

The systems still holds the key, you just need to know "where" ...

At least this was what someone told me on an PM ...

cant wait to try .

Last edited:

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
this is great news, I don't own a cps3, and I'm not in the market either, but I'm curious, does this only work for 2i right now? also plum congrats on pulling it off yourself too!

Professor Plum

Tarma's Gun Polisher
From the way it sounds over on AO doesn't seem like a programmer is needed unless you wanna switch titles?

Yeah I only know one way of reviving certain cps3 carts (conversion method) and there are probably a few ways to do it. Possibly easier ways.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
^^

JUMPERS

you dont need to flash if your planing to use the same cart for the same game.

The systems still holds the key, you just need to know "where" ...

Groovy, I'll wait for the official announcement then. Glad I've held onto my dead setup all these years.

BIGTIME

Galford's Armourer
I was just saying that there is way more soldering required than just to desolder the battery. Unless there is some other way to make it work.

What burner did you end up getting? Dude you got hot air tools? I want to get a nice rework station. All I have now is radio shack soldering iron and lots of patience.

Yeah I actually bought a heat gun a while back and made some adapters for it, nothing to professional but it makes desoldering things with multiple contacts a hell of a lot easier. And I hear you man I rocked the radioshack special for years. I went with a cheapy gq-4x. They aren't the fastest but you can pretty much burn anything with all the adapters they offer. The funny thing is I got it just so I could burn netboot pics and do a few cp2 conversions, I had no idea I would be this fortunate.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I went with a cheapy gq-4x. They aren't the fastest but you can pretty much burn anything with all the adapters they offer. The funny thing is I got it just so I could burn netboot pics and do a few cp2 conversions, I had no idea I would be this fortunate.

I love my GQ-4x, however my 16-bit adapter took a shit and I'm waiting on word back for a replacement. Regardless, it gets the job done.

BIGTIME

Galford's Armourer
since you can now boot any game with any cart less 2i I don't even see the need to convert a cart...unless you really like 2i or wanted to play the other games and only had a 2i cart

BIGTIME

Galford's Armourer
I love my GQ-4x, however my 16-bit adapter took a shit and I'm waiting on word back for a replacement. Regardless, it gets the job done.

Yeah I hear they are solid machines, sorry to hear about you adapter how long did it work before it crapped?

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
Groovy, I'll wait for the official announcement then. Glad I've held onto my dead setup all these years.

you can try this:

- Take the batt out of the cart
- Boot up the system with the CDrom unpluged
- with the system ON, it will tell you the CD drive is not connected
- Plug in the Cd-drive, it will tell you a new CD rom drive has been inserted,
load the Cdrom/ it will erase the old memory and rewrite a new one

test and post results :D

I did not test this, but someone ..... got very good results, the rest is easy to guess... i think

Last edited: