CPS2 X-Men Vs. SF Green Screen

mikey

Marked Wolf
I recently got a dead X-Men vs Street Fighter B-board and figured it had suicided. I burned new decrypted roms, shorted out all the necessary caps after removing the battery, and still got a green screen. There was some rust and corrosion on the board, so I did my best to clean it up and reflow all the connections as needed, but still no change. I double checked any bad looking traces and connections with a meter and fixed any bad ones I could find. I then sprayed the connectors with deoxyit to clean them, and got the same thing. I threw the roms into a good cps2 b-board and the game fired right up. Unfortunately I can't post pics right now as my internet at home is down and I'm writing this from a starbucks. Are there other issues that can cause the green screen that I haven't already covered? I'll post pics of the board when I get a chance or if my internet comes back up soon.

mikey

Marked Wolf
The Phoenix test rom just gives the same green screen, and I can't get to the on board rom test, the board doesn't function, it just stalls

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
The suicide tester rom will not start up if the start-up keys are still on the board, or the board is not working right.

I'd remove all the roms on the board. Short the exe's again, for a good 10 seconds each. And then try and get the suicide tester rom to start up. Rule out the keys.

I'd also get a multi-meter out and run over the board real quick checking for current at different spots (the rom, sockets, caps, and diodes) and see if the board is getting about +5v. See if anything obvious stands out.

I'd stay clear of the customs for now.

And shoot mainman a PM. He's the expert.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Make sure you short all 3 legs of the EXC1 cap.

mikey

Marked Wolf
I checked over the board and all the roms are getting 4.55v, and all the caps are getting either 3.8v or 4.55v. I shorted all the EXC caps for a while, no change. D5 has 3.6v on the end that connects to CC1 but nothing on the other side, but that looks like it connects to where the battery was so I'm assuming that's normal.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I checked over the board and all the roms are getting 4.55v, and all the caps are getting either 3.8v or 4.55v. I shorted all the EXC caps for a while, no change. D5 has 3.6v on the end that connects to CC1 but nothing on the other side, but that looks like it connects to where the battery was so I'm assuming that's normal.

Why is your +5v level so low, tune it to 5.00v. You need a minimum of 4.75v for most things to work.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
... There was some rust and corrosion on the board, so I did my best to clean it up and reflow all the connections as needed, but still no change. ...

Where was the rust and corrosion located?

... bad looking traces and connections ... fixed ....

And where were the bad looking traces and connections located?

mikey

Marked Wolf
Thanks for the help and sorry again for the slow reply, my internet is still down, and will be for another week :oh_no:

Not sure why my +5v level is so low, but every other CPS2 game I have works fine with that power supply. I'll see what I can do about adjusting it to the proper voltage and see if that makes a difference.

As for the corrosion and rough looking traces, I've included some pictures of where I noticed it. I did re-flow a lot of the pads already, and checked any of the bad looking ones for continuity. So far everything looks good.

Also, does the suicide tester work if you've already installed decrypted roms? I changed out the programs roms for decrypted ones already.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 5.JPG

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
It looks like you could have dozens of bad traces and vias around those chips. I would toss this one in the bin and move on.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Yes, the suicide tester rom works if there are no decryption keys on the board, and the board is in ok shape.

---

And You'd have to ohms check all those traces.

Tx

mikey

Marked Wolf
Son of a... it's been a rough couple of weeks with this stuff. Thanks for the info. I'll sit down with this one more time and see if I can catch anything, then after that maybe I'll let this one go.