CPS2 to CPS1 kick harness converter

Katsu

Crazed MVS Addict
Anyone know of or know of a diagram of how to wire up my own CPS2 to CPS1 kick harness converter?

I have CPS2 kick harness wired up, but I want to hook up my older CPS1 Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting board every once in a while. If I could find a converter that would allow me to plug my CPS2 kick harness into an adapter that would turn it into a CPS1 harness, that would rock.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
You can always splice together a CPS1/CPS2 kick harness together with connectors for both styles. Make sure the wires are for the identical buttons. That's the simple and low-cost way of doing it.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kick-Button-Har...aultDomain_0?hash=item19baa5779b#ht_650wt_834

What the heck is that thing? Can anyone make sense of the description? It *sounds* like I can plug in a CPS2 kick harness (it says almost any kick harness) and use it on a CPS1 board.

I'm going to send the seller a question about it...

Don't bother, the seller has no clue if he gave that description.

It's a splitter board to connect one CPS2 board to two cabs:

001ef.jpg

Custom harnesses are needed (the 5-pin connector is RGBS, the 2-pin audio, etc.)

Katsu

Crazed MVS Addict
Wow, talk about inaccurate description! Thanks a ton for the heads up, MKL!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
They are pretty easy to make yourself. Just find the pinout and go from there.

ryosaka

n00b
hmm, not denying you're right, but then why are there other kick harnesses on it if it's only for connecting cps2 cabs. The seller is ken @ thegameroom, not someone I would peg as not knowing what he's talking about or (in my experience) trying to mislead buyers. I've only heard good things about him so far, and have bought from him several times... including a blast city cab that he added the 'extra' buttons to and made sure it was wired for both jamma and jvs... not someone I'd usually think of as having 'no clue'... You sure it can't be used in both ways?

I'm interested in a cps2->cps1 adapter as well... I know you can make them yourself, but I don't know what the part number for the male cps1 connector is, (actually nor the female cps2 and pins etc)... not to mention it's just a lot of work if anyone already has an adapter that is already made. I've made cps2->cps1 and a few others, but there's something to be said sometimes for just paying some money and saving yourself the time :)

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
hmm, not denying you're right, but then why are there other kick harnesses on it if it's only for connecting cps2 cabs.

It's to connect the control panel from the other cab.

ryosaka

n00b
correct me if I'm wrong, but if that's the case, then it seems it could actually be used in the manner he's describing then couldn't it? instead of hooking a cps2 and a cps1 cab to the game or whatever, just hook up the 1 cps1 cab, and it's technically a cps1 to cps2 adapter. It's just kind of a convoluted solution to use it in that way as compared to using a true adapter made specifically for that purpose.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Nope, you still need a custom kick harness from cab #2 to connect to the PCB. Either way you need to make one.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
it goes without saying that the adapter can be used not only for CPS2 but also other jamma boards and that if you only use the 34-pin dual row connector (aka CPS2 aux connector, not just kicks) and the 10-pin single row connector it can work as a CPS2-to-CPS1 kick harness adapter (or the other way round). But that's like advertising a PC as a device for listening to music. Is that incorrect? No. Is it an adequate description? No. I said the seller has no clue about this item in particular, not in general. His description "Used to plug in almost any kick button harness" shows his uncertainty about it. Note that the other two dual row connectors are the same type as the CPS2 one but they have only 26 and 28 pins and do not correspond to any known kick harness.

Ni8wing

n00b
Don't bother, the seller has no clue if he gave that description.

It's a splitter board to connect one CPS2 board to two cabs:

001ef.jpg

Custom harnesses are needed (the 5-pin connector is RGBS, the 2-pin audio, etc.)

Sorry if I'm replying late to a somewhat old post. I'm new to the neo geo forums. But I googled this and found this forum. Which is really helpful.

I checked on ebay for this item and I found it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

I have a question though, I'm wondering if the item on ebay works as a splitter for one CPS-2 game going into two cabs.

There is no jammaboard connector on the bottom to connect to the jamma harness. Is the item on the ebay link broken? Will this work? Because when comparing MKL's picture to the item on ebay, it looks like the item on ebay is missing a jamma board connector.

Anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

SSS

neo retired
I just spliced in a cps1 harness in one of my Capcom impress cabs which comes wired cps2 standard. I used a style splice connector where you place both wires in a U shaped metal channel and close a plastic tab over them. No cutting of wires needed.

IMAG0262.jpg