Cps2 phoenix help/advice

Sean3614

n00b
Hello,
I was wondering if I can use a usa Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter Phoenix on a JP board and still be able to use the jp extra charter when I change the region to jp ?

Also, I have a USA Alpha 2 board I want to phoenix also but, I only able to find a Asian zero 2 Phoenix and I found a zero 2 alpha asian phoenix. Can, I use either phoenix without doing a complete flashing of the sound and mask roms ?
I know the usa version is better than a normal zero 2 and alpha zero 2 is the best version of alpha 2 .

thanks,
Sean

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
From what I remember the region switching isn't very stable. You can always just change the program roms so that it's a JP version instead.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
You can use any region phoenix or clean romset on any pcb. The GFX and SND roms are identical between regions. The program roms are the only thing that determine the region.

The US version of Alpha 2 is the best version because it had many extras such as the ability to play as Shin Ryu. The versions available online don't have the ability to play the extras from the US version. But these extras are the reason that Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha was released in much of the world. That way the rest of the world would stop being jealous that the US got a special edition they did not. All of the GFX and SND roms are the same so you could put any version of Alpha/Zero 2 or Zero 2 Alpha on your pcb.

I don't know if newer versions of SFZ2A are better or not but the phoenix fix I bought from Raz was tha Asia version and was very unstable if you switched the region to Japan. The Japanese text was even all messed up. It's one reason why I keep my Japanese Z2A battery powered. There are also clean versions of the SFZ2A roms available that are verified working but only in Asia, Hispanic, and Brazil region. There is no version of Zero2 or Alpha2 available in the clean roms yet.

http://cps2.avalaunch.net/

EDIT> But to answer your original question: yes if you region switch MSHvSF to Japan region you can use the special character.

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
The special character is not limited to JP region boards.

If you know how, then you cab Bit Hack a board (like a Battery Powered US) and get the special character to appear.

The catch is that the special character must be in the game (program roms), just hidden. The Bit Hack will reveal the special character.

Last edited:

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Zero 2 Alpha is different from Zero 2 gameplay-wise, IIRC customs require 1.5 bars instead of one, which is a big deal.

Last edited: